• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you shook me, adna
    V u l g a r i S
    He has spent his days sunbathing at Leliana’s side, watching their children turn to adults who have children of their own. They even have grandchildren! The journey that the fairies sent him on seemed nearly forgotten as he bathed in the comfort of his wife’s company. But the burning across his skin remains. And today, it feels an awful lot like guilt. Vulgaris has lounged lazily in Tephra while his eldest child frets over her family. He knows this because Leliana keeps an eye on all their sons and daughters. She wanted to set out and be there for Adna, but he kissed her temple and told her he would go in her stead. Tephra still needed her.

When he crosses into the northern region, he finds it strange to not be surrounded on all sides by trees and vines and the plant people of his home. He finds himself almost grateful for the unseen fire across his skin when the weather turns colder and snow covers the ground. Vulgaris has been spoiled by the heavy tropical heat and hardly remembers tolerating the frigid temperatures. Still, he would rather be neither burning nor freezing, and so he carries on.

He knows Adna’s figure in the distance long before she comes into clear focus. A smile blooms easily across his face when he draws near, hugging her to his chest tightly. “Adna, I haven’t visited you nearly enough. I’m sorry for that,” he begins, pressing a kiss to the top of her head before taking a step back to allow her some space. “Your grandfather came back from the dead like so many others and I suppose I wasn’t entirely prepared to deal with that.

Vulgaris laughs but his words are painfully true. As much as he loves his father, their relationship has always been strained and difficult. Nevermind the marital woes of his parents. But now is not the time to speak of his own burdens.

I’m here because your mother is worried about you. I know we shouldn’t pry, but I could never let you struggle alone.

He falls silent then, his sage green eyes watching hers. Vulgaris would like to say he understands how she feels. For years now, he has reflected on all the ways he failed his children as a father. Even now, he waited until Leliana had had enough before speaking up.
    In this shook-up, twisted world, I'm gradually growing transparent and vanishing
    Don’t look for me; don't look at me
    @[adna]

Messages In This Thread
    you shook me, adna - by vulgaris - 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM
    RE: you shook me, adna - by adna - 06-25-2020, 11:38 AM
    RE: you shook me, adna - by vulgaris - 07-07-2020, 01:56 PM
    RE: you shook me, adna - by adna - 07-19-2020, 08:48 PM