• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

In the middle of the darkest nights [Yanhua]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

If it wasn’t for the overwhelming sense of sorrow and grief flowing from Amarine, I might have felt a moment’s relief when my friend’s figure appeared shortly behind Yanhua. In that instant, though, my heart dropped into my hooves. I look back and forth from Yanhua to Amarine. She didn’t need to ask for me to understand that the twins were not with them. Even in the dark, I could see his large figure stiffen. I could feel her sorrow and grief as if they were my own. “No…” I breathe, horrified. Nothing could have prepared me for this. In all the angst I’d been feeling these past few weeks, I never gave up that they would return…all of them.

As Amarine spits out the words I can only feel in my heart, I push past Yanhua. No doubt he is struggling, too, but there’s nothing like the bond between a mother and her children. It was her that would need every comfort she could get in this moment. So I go to her, pressing my chest into hers and wrapping my neck around her neck. “Oh, Amarine, we will find them, I promise!” I have no idea what the future will bring, but this was something I would absolutely see happen. I could not let myself believe anything else.

Yanhua speaks, and his words reiterate the same sentiment. I move away from Ama so I could face him, too. Even in the darkness, I could see the beginnings of a plan forming in those blue eyes, while ideas swirl around in mine. “We will find them,” I say, again, but this time to the stallion.

Just then, I could hear a small figure crashing through the undergrowth toward us. Memorie had, no doubt, sensed her father’s arrival and the heavy weight of Amarine’s emotions. She had risen from her sleep and come as quickly as she could. I am not sure what to make of this, or anything right now, as she stops next to me, breathless. She doesn’t need to ask to already know that the twins are not here, and her panic is palpable as well.

I turn to her, glad for her presence, as she stopped next to me, her little socks glowing brightly in the darkness. “Where do we start?” Is all she says.

“Yan, what do you need me to do?” I didn’t know, yet, that he was hurt so badly, but I would help in any way I could, and I could sense that he needed something from me. I look back and forth between Mem and Yan. “Yanhua, you and Memorie can use your empathic echoes to look for any signs of them, right? So we should split up. Memorie, you have been practicing with leaving little echoes around to be picked up later, do you think you could do something like that to pick up echoes of memories left by others?” I see her nod. “I can try.” I can hear the uncertainty in her voice, so I gather up an encouraging feeling and push it at her. She nods, again, giving me a more resolute look.

One more time, I turn to Amarine. “We will find them!” I know I can say it until I’m blue in the face, and it won’t change how she feels, but I hope that I can at least breathe a fresh sense of hope into her, now that there would be a set of fresh eyes on the lookout for them. I hoped that my energy would energize her.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Amarine] @[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: In the middle of the darkest nights [Yanhua] - by Borderline - 01-31-2021, 06:55 PM