• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Catch my heart on a string [Reave]

one lives in hope of becoming a memory

It had been a couple of months, now, and yet the darkness persisted. Along with it came rumors…rumors of monsters roaming the lands. Even so, I walked with a little more confidence in my steps now, thanks to the nifty gift that Grodylin had imparted upon me, the strange creature who had nearly crushed me beneath his large feet. Despite the confidence, there was still a limp in my legs from the fall I’d taken before meeting him, and my body still ached in places that I had hardly thought about before the fall.

Mother had been beside herself with worry when I’d returned from my great, big adventure. She had riled up Yanhua to scour the forest for me, and he had found my trail of emotional memories meant to lead me home. So I found him halfway back, searching for me, and though I was proud of myself for the journey I’d completed, he had a nice little lecture to fill my ears for the rest of the journey home. Something about not wandering off and scaring my already stressed mother half to death. Since then, I had confined myself to the Taigan woods, which was proving less exciting with each passing day.

The socks on my legs glow dimly in the absence of light surrounding me, illuminating the path just enough that I could see where I was going. I was in a familiar grove of trees, which isn’t unusual, since I had spent a great deal of time exploring the forest with father’s other children, Reynard and Cheri, though I couldn’t see it for what it had once been. I curse the darkness that shrouds us in the middle of the day (or was it?).

I move to the edge a small clearing to peer up at the sky. There it was, the sun, blocked by the moon so that no light could reach us. When I shift my eyes back to the world around me, I could see something moving in the distance. As father had taught me, I gently reach out into the void, feeling for any hint of an emotional memory, but whoever it was moving in the distance, I couldn’t glean anything from. So, curious, I make my way in that direction until I’m closer and can see the outline of a similarly sized figure to mine. It must be one of the other foals that roamed Taiga, and by the scent in the air, it wasn’t one of the ones I’d met before. 

“Hello,” I say, casually. As I move closer, I can just make out the red and white patches covering his slender frame. “Are you @[Reave]?” I had heard his name a few times here and there on my journeys through the woods. I knew he was the adopted son of my grandmother, Lilliana, but I didn’t know much more than that (but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t curious about him nonetheless).

memorie

Photo by Saffu from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Memorie - 01-14-2021, 05:19 PM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 01-15-2021, 01:42 PM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 02-18-2021, 10:02 AM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 03-01-2021, 11:03 AM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 03-08-2021, 11:44 AM
    RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - by Reave - 03-30-2021, 11:11 AM