• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'd pray but I know there's nothing else
    mazikeen
    Sickle is disgruntled that no one is answering her question - it’s an important one. Her unease is returning, heightened by the way the mare fixes her bright orange eyes on her - by the way she looks like she is cracking all over her body when Gale whispers something in her ear and that brightness magnifies. Whatever he had said, Sickle knows it can’t have been good. Her body begins to flicker between shapes and colours in her nervousness and she takes a cautious step backwards.

--

Mazikeen should have probably known not to tease him. She’d felt comfortable enough to, because of their bargain - because she thought the other night had… well, she thought it had meant something. Was he angry she hadn't used the easing of her obedience to seek him out? Once again the pale mare feels unprepared for the game she is caught up in. No matter what she does, it feels like the wrong answer and the wrong choice.

But surely now - to the whispered command - there is only one possible response she can give him.

She wants to please him, wants to uphold her part, but this? This is too much to ask. Part of her considers going to Sickle and nipping her lightly, but she cannot believe that would be enough for the Curse who eats hearts. He knows what she is capable of, though he is more navy than golden tonight, and she doesn’t believe a light anything will satisfy him.

Mazikeen could ask how, she could delay and play her part a little longer, but the instinct to protect her daughter hasn't yet died enough that she can pretend it away.

Her body is entirely illuminated with glowing markings when she takes a step forward, heart aching at seeing Sickle take a step back and away from her, but Mazikeen turns her body and attention. She positions herself between Gale and the filly, her head turned to him and she replies with a fierce “No.” that does not betray the fear building inside of her.

And with that fear, the part of her that is learning to be detached from her emotions and connections is curious. She hasn’t defied him so blatantly since he had killed her, and this little rotten piece of her heart wonders what will happen now - even though common sense tells her she’ll regret wondering soon enough.

@Gale

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I'd pray but I know there's nothing else - by Mazikeen - 06-27-2021, 08:18 AM