• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

always weigh what I've got against what I left; any

TAKE ME UNDERGROUND, TAKE ME ALL THE WAY
    BRING ME TO THE FIRE, THROW ME IN THE FLAMES

The world of Beqanna seemed to be brimming with those gifted at birth. The ability to shift, to change at one’s whim, to control the world around them—it had become commonplace. Makai had been born into a family brushed with his magic, but a magic of a different kind. His family was rooted in the power of the kingdoms. His father had sacrificed his heart to the Chamber and she had given him life in return; Atrox and the Chamber’s relationship was complicated, deep, and all-encompassing. Makai had learned a long time ago that despite his father’s love for Twinge, nothing would come close to his love for that pine-covered forest. So it, perhaps, was not surprising that Makai’s life was infected with the same magic.

He had been dead, once—murdered by his own brother—and he too had been given life from the Chamber. But his life had come with a heavy cost and an ongoing demand. Spend too long away from her, and he would begin to fall back into death once more. He would become plagued by nightmares, his lungs weak, and his coughs splattering blood on his lips. Only returning to the Chamber would cure him. It was a power play, but it was effective. He knew that if the Chamber called, he would have to obey.

Obey or die. What a wicked gift he had been given.

Not that he feels like sharing that with Zeik. Instead he just nods. “The life of a vagabond is not a bad one,” he muses, wishing for the simplicity of not having anyone to answer to or any responsibilities weighing down on your shoulders. “I don’t know what I will do,” he responses, ignoring the fact that the questions have once again pointed back toward him. “I have made some rather poor decisions for myself in the past.” His smile is tight and bitter. “Perhaps you should tell me what I should do next.”

AM I STILL ALIVE OR HAS THE LIGHT GONE BLACK?

Messages In This Thread
    RE: always weigh what I've got against what I left; any - by Makai - 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM