• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the study of death; any

I don't remember being born.

I do remember the moments after, the struggle to walk and the smell of milk. I stopped before suckling, my purple-gray eyes studying with interest the teat in front of me. There was a perverse curiosity in waiting to see how long my stomach could wait.

Not long, but I am young.

I drank deeply until I was sated, and then nipped at my mother sharply with a defiant squeal. Already I am impatient of my childhood.

I don't wander far from Killgore. This is more self preservation than anything else, because I long to find out what all the things I am smelling and seeing are. How they work, what they look like when smashed, how to take them apart.

I glance at my mother, and then at myself. We are framed similarly, but I am a dark bay with purple climbing up my legs and nose. I shake my head, and turn quickly, trying to catch a glimpse to ascertain the color of my tragically short and fluffy tail. Like a bunny, I snort derisively. The effort makes me lose my balance and I crumple to the side. Purple. I am purple on my mane and tail.

I don't jump up right away. Instead, I rub my face into the dirt to see if I can change the color of purple on my nose. A small chirp comes feebly from beneath a nearby tree, and it is this that pulls me to my feet.

A small thing with wings is flapping feebly beneath the branches. I look up. A bigger winged thing and her other little wings are chirruping madly. What makes them do that, I wonder. I glance down at the squalling thing with feathers. Slowly, judging its reaction, I put my hoof on the baby bird's back, between his wings. A loud crunch, a screech and silence.

I wonder, what made it do that? Would every small thing with wings make the crunch-screech sound? I glance up at the others birds, cocking my head. I nicker.

Come down, feathered ones. I only want to understand.

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner

Messages In This Thread
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-07-2015, 12:54 PM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-08-2015, 08:56 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-13-2015, 11:26 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Kirin - 09-20-2015, 11:29 AM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-21-2015, 07:49 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Kirin - 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM