• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the study of death; any

I hear my mother's hoofbeats and twist my ear about, interested. She moves with grace and purpose, reminding me of a serpent I saw twine around and devour a mouse. I wish I could move like her. I sense there is a purpose in the swaying of her hips and the movement of her eyelashes, but the meaning is beyond me.

I am less interested in her pronouncement of my continued survival, and more consumed with my wonderings. I study the remains of the little feathered thing, thick liquids seeping from below the crack I made in its chest.

"What made it do that? Do all small things squeak and crunch like that?" I nudge the blood pooling around my hoof, unaware of the blood stain it is creating on my purple tinged nose. I like the smell, though. It is metallic, tangy and a bit sweet, like fresh grass when it rains. "I'd like to try it again, mother. May I?"

I don't nip mother. I learn quickly, and I have learned that she nips back. Instead I press my bloody nose to her side, all eagerness. What new fun will mother introduce me to?

A question I have been pondering springs to my lips.

"Why am I purple? You aren't. Was my father? Tell me about him."

My question evolved into a demand, a firm but quiet one. I don't doubt that I will be answered. I have all the misplaced confidence of my youth, but with a touch of quiet arrogance. I am smart, and I will only grow smarter.

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner

Messages In This Thread
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-07-2015, 12:54 PM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-08-2015, 08:56 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-13-2015, 11:26 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Killgore - 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Kirin - 09-20-2015, 11:29 AM
    the study of death; any - by Kersey - 09-21-2015, 07:49 PM
    RE: the study of death; any - by Kirin - 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM