• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

a fire that heeds to no call {any}

some are lost in the fire

some are built from it

Erebor listens intently as Teta describes the kind of home that she wants. He is unaware that his presence makes Fennick so uneasy – Erebor is entirely without hubris, and it does not occur to him at all that he may be in any way gifted or superior. For all his gifts and capacity to use them, he's never thought of himself as anything but lacking. His one virtue – if he would even call it that – is his work ethic. He tends to push himself rather tirelessly for the glory of the Chamber, and the glory of the Chamber is best served and enhanced by him becoming more physically strong and diplomatically cunning.

And in this, one of his chief faults is revealed: he has very little concept of how to have fun. Sure, he can banter and take jokes, but actually let down and let loose? Nope. Not ever. Not even when he was little. His uncle liked to poke fun at him for it, and his mother and father both seemed eternally grateful for it, but he'd pretty much literally popped out of Straia's womb a fully formed adult. He'd never been a clingy or overly attached child, and he'd been fanatically, almost terrifyingly dedicated from the moment he'd hit the ground.

And look where it's gotten him.

His attention turns politely to Fennick when the stallion starts speaking. Erebor would not have thought to speak first; the boy respects the order of things here in the field, and it would be impolite not to let Fennick get a word in edgewise. He is almost surprised to hear that this stallion is from the Valley – although in typical Erebor fashion, his face reflects nothing but neutrality and polite attentiveness. He had thought the Valley in decline, and he finds himself surprised and pleased to see that it is evidently bouncing back. Or at least, getting there.

When Fennick queries Erebor about another way to get to the Valley, the black stallion takes the question in stride, as though it were entirely normal. He considers for a moment, and without missing a beat, shakes his head. "What's south tends to stay there." There is no irony in his voice, nothing mocking. He's simply answering the question as asked.

And then he turns back to Teta. "I cannot offer you a herd either." his eyes watch her as he speaks. "I'm dedicated fully to my home, the Chamber, a kingdom like the Valley." He pauses, wondering just how much this mare might know of Beqanna and its ways, the differences between herds and kingdoms. "Kingdoms are like herds in that the members grow close, but unlike a herd in that you can pursue membership and advancement in the arts of war or diplomacy." he pauses again. "There are ranks, and after you begin to work for a kingdom, you'll be able to rise through those ranks and could one day be a leader. In fact, the rulers of the kingdom are typically chosen from the hardest working horses in the ranks, another difference from herd life."

"These basics will be true in either the Valley or the Chamber. In fact, our kingdoms are probably more similar than they are different." he looks toward Fennick as he speaks, making a mental note to visit the Valley again sooner rather than later. "There's really nothing for it but to guess where you might fit best." His voice is rich and deep, but his words are from the heart.

"For myself, I cannot imagine living anywhere but the Chamber. It's where I was born, and it's where I hope to die." He speaks softly, almost reverently. "It is a kingdom for the strong, and every one of our members plays an important part in our safety, defense, and power. Our kingdom is probably twice the size of a typical herd, and I'd be happy to introduce you to our queen, Straia." He pauses again. "And of course, if you didn't like it, you'd be free to leave"

erebor

heat manipulating lord of the chamber

warship x straia

Messages In This Thread
    a fire that heeds to no call {any} - by tetanurae - 09-07-2015, 11:03 PM
    RE: a fire that heeds to no call {any} - by Erebor - 09-10-2015, 11:14 PM