• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Nothing is forever [Starnage Kids / Any]

"Of course." I repeat, mildly surprised. Is that how children play?

I nod once, sharply, as Caitlyn gives me her name. She seems… bubbly. It's confusing, and not entirely dignified of her. How can she know if it is nice to meet me? Perhaps that is just something people say.

I find it utterly stupid.

Her next question puts me at ease. Imparting knowledge is something I can handle. I am slowly becoming equipped with a vast treasure trove of the things I have learned. Of course, the dying breaths of small things is still my chief topic of interest. I glance at the silvery scaled fish. I suppose mother would like to know about them, and the color of their blood.

"I am," I respond cooly. Of course I am pretty. That is something I know. "I'm purple because my father was a god made of blue and purple and stars, and when my parents mated, a part of him became a part of me."

It doesn't occur to me that other foals may not know about the birds and the bees. Sex, however, is just another thing I am interested in learning about. That will come in time, but in the meanwhile, I know exactly how babies are made, if not how genetics work.

The arrival of a colt perks my interest. I don't have much practical knowledge of males, and I am eager to learn. What I do know is that colts have a penis, and that they grow up to be stallions and lead herds, and that they are not better than mares. But still, I am sure there is more than that. Perhaps this one will teach me things I don't yet know.

I cock my head at his question. So far he is not very different. I would have asked the same question. But then, the answer Caitlyn gave wasn't satisfactory to me. I let her take the lead, sneering a little at her exuberance. I can't see what is worth getting so excited about.

"Wouldn't it be more entertaining if we caught a fish to see how long it could survive on land?" I nose the water carefully, noting the ripples I create and the startled effect it has on the fish. Perhaps simple creatures like these could be frightened to death.

I perk my ears at Caitlyn's second suggestion. "Or exploring. I've heard there is a land with a beating heart. And one with a jaguar that prowls the jungles. I'm from Silver Cove so we shouldn't go there. I already know it."

Oh the things we could learn. I look at the pair of them, expectant.

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner
    daughter of carnage and killgore

Messages In This Thread
    Nothing is forever [Starnage Kids / Any] - by Kersey - 09-14-2015, 09:03 PM