• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

So you wanna play with magic? PEVENSIE
    We do what we must,
    Because we can.

Does Pevensie know exactly how spot on her words are? Camrynn wonders how much Pevensie suspects about who, and what, she truly is. The black mare finds herself in an impossibly odd position: she wants to tell Pevensie everything, to confess her magic, and perhaps even her deception, but she doesn't want to hurt her adoptive mother.

The buckskin mare speaks of magic and gods, and Camrynn knows the truth of her words too intimately. They had both had their souls laid bare by these gods, had their very essence examined and found sufficient. She doesn't know what Camrynn has wagered against her loyalty here – that she stands to lose the thing most precious to her if she does not maintain. She notes with interest the way Pevensie speaks of prior experiences, of something before this trial, and she wonders what happened in the buckskin's past. She gets flashes of what Pevensie is experiencing, emotions thrown so forcefully that she simply cannot help but catch them, but she will never pry into this mare's mind. Unless she is invited. "I have no intention of betraying the Deserts. Not just because I don't wish to anger the gods, but because I intend to give it my all to make us stronger." She pauses for a moment, her eyes sweeping over the pink sands, catching a glimpse of Gumby and his hole off in the distance. "This is home." and she means every word of it.

Pevensie asks her directly about her increased age, and Camrynn must now face the question of how much to tell her head-on. She'd been a little bit vague before, and like a good mother, Pevensie had called her on it. She now faced two choices: lie outright, or tell the truth. She settles on a mix of both. "When I went through the trials, I conducted myself like an adult," she explains. "And if the gods were to have me rule, they wanted me to look like an adult." she pauses here before speaking again. "My eyes changing color wasn't the only thing that's a little…different about me." those eyes drop to the sand as she speaks, before raising to meet Pevensie's again. "I'm not really sure where the edges of my power even are." and it's true, that's part of why she lives, to push the boundaries of her power, to discover what magic really means. "All I know is, I haven't really found anything that I can't do yet." she speaks quietly, and every word is the truth. She describes her magic honestly, although she doesn't give it that name. But she is sure Pevensie will understand, will put the pieces together – Gumby, the accelerated growth, perhaps it will all make sense.

Pevensie turns the conversation back toward the Amazons, and Cam is grateful for the relief. She wants things to be easy between her and Pevensie, an open line of communication, something that will be vital for their reign to be a success. She just hopes her words have been enough to accomplish that. Goodness knows she's bared dramatically more of herself than she'd ever intended to when she entered that competition.

"Scorch wants to build an empire." she says, speaking with certainty. "Or at least, a network of alliances strong enough that it would functionally be an empire." She pauses. "Like you said, good for the Amazons, but not so good for us." She sighs. "I think we're right to not trust her."

She thinks of what she knows about the Valley, about what Eight has asked of Warship, and she pauses for just a moment, reinforcing the magic that makes it so they can't be overheard. She decides to throw caution to the wind. "Part of my gift is that I can know things, without having been there." She sighs, hoping that honesty was the best decision here.

From what I've heard we aren't the only kingdom a little…uncomfortable with what the Amazons are doing. Actually, from what I saw when I'd go to the jungle, there are even those within the Amazons who aren't too sure about it." She sighs. "I know that other kingdoms are thinking of moving against them."

"But where does that leave us in all of this?" And really, that's the million dollar question, isn't it?

C A M R Y N N
    Why? Because I can

Image copyright MariannaInsomnia

Messages In This Thread
    RE: So you wanna play with magic? PEVENSIE - by Camrynn - 04-12-2015, 11:31 AM