• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

every now and then i fall apart; heartfire

may these words be the first to find your ears
    the world is brighter than the sun now that you're here

When he touches her shoulder and she turns to face him, he wonders where she was. There is a faraway look gleaming in her eyes makes him think she came a long distance back to him. But then she smiles and so does he, leaning in to bump his dark, feathery wing against her back. “Where did you go just then, Heartfire?” He asks softly, and there is concern etched into his willowy voice when his nose reaches across the distance to brush her forelock aside. For a moment, just a moment, he thought he saw in her wild face some of the darkness he had seen hiding in their fathers face.

Her lips touch his ear and he shakes his head with a laugh, sending the short tufts of his black mane skittering over the ridge of his small, curving neck. For a moment he sidesteps and flexes his black and white feathered wings, dancing deliberately out of reach just after swatting at her playfully. But then he is back at her side, those small wings tucked easily out of the way against his ribs. “I bet the mountains are beautiful.” He says dreamily, closing his green eyes for a moment to imagine how it would feel with so much wind beneath the feathers of wings that proved still too small to hold his weight. But his eyes flash back open and he turns to her, startled by her next  suggestion. “We can’t go to the valley though, can we?” His brow furrows and his eyes darken as he looks around them at the miles of gold Desert. Then he sighs. “I’ll go anywhere that isn’t sandy.”

But at some point, and without him noticing, the shadows had returned to her face and he is surprised by how easy they are to see now. “Heartfire?” He asks quietly, his small voice lilting when he reached out to nuzzle her small blue cheek. But her explanation does nothing to settle the worry blossoming in his narrow chest. “I do.” He says after a moment of thought. “But I think these things would find us someday whether we were looking for them or not.” He slips even closer so that his chest is pushed against her ribs and his small, dark head is slung protectively over her withers. “What did you see, Heartfire.” He takes a breath and braces himself mentally. “Show me.”

Illum

Messages In This Thread
    RE: every now and then i fall apart; heartfire - by Illum - 04-22-2016, 09:17 PM