• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Meet me on the equinox

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

I have always been good at reading others, and the double-take that Taqqiq gives my horns is difficult to miss. It is hard to make them look anything less than they are – long spirals of black keratin, designed for battle – but I have never used them in violence, despite my father’s wishes. I cannot tell if she is anything more than startled by them though (please? Worried?) and I decide that that’s for another time. At least she has not run away.

On a more positive note, it is not hard to see that the mention of the Desert has intrigued the black mare in a somewhat more positive way. Though I’ve never had experience with anything worse than bland neutrality at the mention of my home, her excitement is encouraging. I offer her another, less hesitant smile, hoping that even if she does head off to wherever Kavi is from, that at least we’ll get to talk about the Desert a bit.

Kavi takes over the talking after Taqqiq tells us that she’s just arrived, and I glance over at the buckskin stallion as he speaks. He says that I am here in hopes that she will join our homes and I start slightly. I wasn’t, not really. I just wanted to talk, to be sure that I wasn’t an absolutely atrocious herd prospect and was hoping for a stranger’s opinion. But Kavi has given me the position of recruiter and I’m not inclined to arguments, so I simply nod along – Taqqiq certainly seems nice enough, and I see nothing wrong with progressing the way Kavi has suggested rather than following my original plan.

The other stallion talks of his own position and of the Queen of the chamber being a blood relative, and I make note of that information. While I am sure that our magical queen knows all, there is no harm in being sure that I know a few things myself. The buckskin seems able to effortlessly compliment the grey mare, and I glance over at her curiously to see how she is reacting to his flattery. It’s not something that I’ve even tried – flirting – but I am quite sure that it is not as easy as Kavi is making it seem. So as much as I’d like to, because she is pretty and seems sweet, I decide that perhaps I’d better not.

“Where did you come from?” I ask, because the idea of a world beyond Beqanna is intriguing. I’ve never wanted to leave – I still do not – but that does not mean that Taqqiq might not have wonderful stories of the world beyond. Well, I tell myself before I can get too excited, it cannot be that wonderful if she has come here instead. Not that here is not wonderful; there is nothing more lovely than the Deserts at sunset.

“The Deserts is the kingdom that I serve,” I tell her, having decided that it might be best to follow in Kavi’s pattern. “I’ve been considered starting a herd in one of the herd lands the border the Desert, but I don’t know anything about herds. I came here today hoping I might find someone that does.” I look up hopefully – perhaps she does have some experience. And even if she doesn’t I too am content with just someone to talk to. Or perhaps she’d liked to the see the Deserts as well, I remember; she had looked excited. “But I can always tell you more about the Desert if that seems a more appealing option to you.” Despite my inability to flirt, my smile is warm and easy. I will not be offended if she is more interested in the kingdom than in me – I am accustomed to not meeting the standards of others.

Messages In This Thread
    Meet me on the equinox - by Taqqiq - 04-19-2015, 03:25 PM
    RE: Meet me on the equinox - by Kavi - 04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
    RE: Meet me on the equinox - by Kreios - 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM
    RE: Meet me on the equinox - by Taqqiq - 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
    RE: Meet me on the equinox - by Kavi - 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM
    RE: Meet me on the equinox - by Kreios - 04-21-2015, 08:27 AM