• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the edges are unfilled; quark

tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us

She doesn’t know what to say.
    The woman – the being - appears, responding to her call. It isn’t a plea she’d expected to have answered – she’s used to screaming into the void. Used to living over the same handful of minutes, over and over again.
    This is different.
    This is her world, as much as anything had even been hers (for hadn’t that always been Gail’s lot – to possess things in piecemeal?). She is its reason for becoming, she is its ruler – as much as anyone rules death, at least.
    Ruler’s not the right word. Guardian. Keeper.

She breathes in. She fixes her gaze on the translucent creature before her and she tries to think of what to say without sounding mad.
    “I felt you,” she says. It doesn’t make sense to an outsider, but she thinks this one will know what she speaks of – maybe she hasn’t been shouting into the abyss, after all.
    “My name is Gail,” she tells her. It seems polite to introduce herself.
    “You’re different,” she says. This isn’t a question.

She is saying nothing. She tries again.

“I can sense you. Like a counterpoint. A balance. You’re not magic, but...you’re strong. In a way he isn’t.”
    She says he like they all know his name, and she realizes the mistake. As much as he’d like to believe it, she knows he is not always forefront in their minds.

She is saying nothing. She tries again.

“I’m stuck here. It’s a long story, but I’m stuck here. Magic doesn’t work on me, but you’re not magic, are you?”
    She breathes in.
    “I want to go back. Not forever. But there’s…there’s someone I want to see. Not as a ghost. As flesh.”
    She’s forgotten what warm skin feels like.

Messages In This Thread
    the edges are unfilled; quark - by gail - 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM
    RE: the edges are unfilled; quark - by Quark - 06-28-2016, 08:24 PM
    RE: the edges are unfilled; quark - by gail - 07-01-2016, 11:21 AM
    RE: the edges are unfilled; quark - by Quark - 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM