• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Grumblequest: last round, pets.

When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend
    "They are here." Master's hand settling against my shoulder and then leaving it almost as quickly. "Come on pet." He says and just as we turn there is a crash of sound and bright lights that flash when they hit the outside of the dome. I cringe, the sound and lights overloading my senses. Turning to look, I watch as they crash into the dome and as they break it. Almost as if it weren't even there to begin with. Some fly into the electric clouds and fall screaming. This makes me smile a little, for while they were definitely the strongest thing I had ever seen in my short life, they were still killable.

I take to the air, flying as high as I dare to get a better look at the ground and watch as they fall into the traps, as they hit the walls and get stuck. I watch for a few brief seconds, daring to take one more before I dive back to the ground and we rush inside. I was in absolutely awe and disbelief. How were we to beat them all when they swarmed the ground like an overturned anthill and make the sky black with their bodies like a locust swarm?

My hope begins to falter, and I think I might die here after all.

I hear the hunting calls of the hounds and the fighting of the dragons as they roar, challenging their opponents. As they shriek when one falls, slain. I can hear the thundering of their wings as they open them and take to the skies. Bloodthirsty and in a rage, I can hear the screams of the dying as they are either eaten or magicked to death. I can hear the same from the hounds. The barking and the growling and the general chaos of the defenses that we have put together.

A hunter, dressed in black with the only thing visible are the almost white blue of his eyes, crashes through one of the windows in front of us. And I step forwards, getting ready to take care of some business, but before I can do anything, the hounds are there. They leap onto the hunter, swarming him in a mass of black shadows. He screams and they fall back out of the window.

Splashes of water from the moat make me smile as I hear them through the broken window as we rush by.

The twittering of the sparrow-cats is like a melody to my ears as I hear the destruction they too are wrecking on the enemy.

I feel like the battle has been raging on outside for hours, days even, but in reality it has been minutes. Maybe thirty of them. And we are still rushing through the fortress, going to that inner sanctum that I had left to Grumble to secure. Well Grumble and his drunk friend. So it wasn't a huge surprise to me when Duck comes waddling from the corner, already drunk and almost incapiciated. Would he be any use? I wonder if there would be some way that I could possibly use him as a decoy to keep Master safe. If I could magick him somehow to look like Master and magick Master into looking like....Ahah...there. "Master I have put a glamour on you. It will be the last line of defense...should I fail." And I duck my head slightly at the thought, unwilling to let that happen.

He would look like a plastic horse in a mound of other broken toys, although I am not sure where this came from and I don't bother to tell Master. "Just don't move." And I glamour Duck to look like Master. This way.....I don't have time to think.

You're my last hope, darling. Master had said and while I could hear their magic hammering away, I felt my doubt melt away. Thick, callous like skin grows along my tender parts, along my belly, the underside of my throat. Very thin pieces of steel wrap themselves around my legs, giving them a little extra protection. This magic is only a small amount and so I don't feel the effects of it yet. But I would soon.

Six of them finally break through and I send a body sized fireball at each of them. Two of them weren't expecting the sudden attack after chasing us through the Fortress. However, the other four were very much alive. I call what was left of the shadow hounds to me, in a loud call that echoes through our sanctum and out into what was left of our beautiful home. It had been a home after all. Something I had grown to care for. The hounds would at least be a distraction, something to keep some of them busy while I take them out one by one...because I would.

I start with all magic, blowing them backwards and then sending spikes barreling through the air after them. I miss, of course, or they deflect them and send a gust back at me. I lower my head and brace myself. I miss one hunter's attack. His fingers curled like claws that rip open my cheek. I grunt in pain, blood already dripping from the hanging flesh. I make a quick move, stomping on his foot and then using my sharp teeth to grab him right on the thick rope of his trapezius muscle. His blood coats my tongue in a metallic taste. I shake my head, my body growing into a large draft horse.

I toss him to the side when a sharp pain in my shoulder makes me look. A hilt of a dagger is sticking out of my body and without a thought I mentally rip it out and send it back into the throat of the assailant.

Down to two left.

I manage to staunch the blood in my shoulder and in my cheek. It burns, but no longer drips. A sudden wave of dizziness overcomes me. Shit. I was going to have to finish this up and make it quick. I was tiring and becoming weaker the more attacks I took and the more magic I used. I tried to attack the next hunter with only physical but the other tried to head for Duck and Master and I couldn't let that happen.

Just as I turn (taking another slice from a rather sharp sword to the front of my shoulder and the clinking of metal tells me my leg will live to see another day), the shadow hounds I had called earlier come barreling through the hole in the door and leap on the hunter. Rather, the two of them do. These hunters are definitely the strongest things I have ever seen in my life.

The other hunter is raising his sword to cut off my head but a thick metal plate stops him even as I do a quick turn to run my hindquarters into him. He stumbles and I aim a hard kick with my big draft horse style hooves right into his chest. He falls and doesn't get up. I turn and look, the hounds have managed to finish off that last one for me. I turn to look back to Grumble and start to smile, but that one Hunter, the first one that I attacked and bite, is rolling to his feet. "Hell." I mutter but I stand, my body weakened by the attacks, by the defenses and the magic I have used today. By the blood that drips as my hold on my magic slips and it releases the tightening of my arteries that I had done to staunch my blood. My wounds burn, but my eyes narrow. I would finish this.

c h a o l

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Grumblequest: last round, pets. - by Chaol - 07-15-2016, 08:59 PM
    RE: Grumblequest: last round, pets. - by Fart - 07-16-2016, 01:38 PM
    RE: Grumblequest: last round, pets. - by Offspring - 07-16-2016, 09:33 PM
    RE: Grumblequest: last round, pets. - by Vidar - 07-16-2016, 09:55 PM