• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you can't feel nothing small (open)

heaven help a fool who falls in love

There is a time for everything. There is a time for happiness, a time for sadness, a time for beginnings, a time for endings, a time for victories, and a time for failures. Adalyn cannot say her life has been full of very many beginnings nor victories or failures. In fact, thus far in her life, she has experienced severe boredom on a daily basis. She’d stuck around for a while, seeking out her parents – her angelic father, more specifically – or siblings that she might be able to follow around in her younger years.

But the thrill of life and adventure and discovery was not found in trailing after others.

Adalyn comes to a time now when she needs something. She needs a kick-start in her life. She needs to take the pen to write her future into her own hands – well, hooves – and write it with a vicious sort of ambition. The world of Beqanna is brimming at her fingertips and she has instead chosen to sit back and watch squirrels chase each other up trees. So she is coming to a time for a beginning; a time that hopefully will not end as quickly as the rest of her history has so far.

The field seems like a good place to start. There is a vibrant sort of life within the welcoming location. It is an explosive mixing pot for the few and common of Beqanna, a place to advertise openings in life, an overflowing cooking skillet for opportunities. Adalyn intends to be one of the many who faithfully say the true beginning of their life started in the field, with recruitment.

So she settles herself near the lake’s shore. She can feel the power of the waterfall blossoming at the edge of her conscious, but she doesn’t run after the trail. Rather, she occasionally dips her metaphorical fingers into the smooth lake’s surface, causing ripples that span across the water’s entirety. A soft huff leaves her gentle lips, hoping someone will soon approach her.

adalyn

(I'm open for any kingdom, but I would prefer no herds please)

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

There are as few good places as the field for those who are looking for a place to start.

It is brimming with possibility—brimming with potential. It is that quiet thrum of activity that spurs Magnus on, that breathes life into his lungs. It is what brings him back to the field each morning, his golden coat darkened with exertion, no sound except the steady whoosh of air from his flaring nostrils.

Today was no different, the stallion shrugging off the apathy and rage and powerlessness that had come from his imprisonment. The world was not so different from when he had left (a lie, he knew, since it was entirely different—the Gates practically dead, Minette gone). It was just a matter of bowing your head to the yoke and taking it up for one more day. You could fix anything with sweat and will power.

He had to believe it.

His attention is caught by the sheen of gold in her hair, the impatience in her tense muscles. Intrigued, he angles his path toward her, long forelock tangling over his gold-flecked eyes as he approached. “Hello there!” he called, his voice throaty. “How are you doing today?” It wasn’t a play at a question; rather, he was actually curious—actually interested in what brought her to the field this day. Each soul had a different story to tell, and he could tell just by looking at her that she would have one of her own.

“My name is Magnus.”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Adalyn loves the electric vibe of life that flows under her feet here. She has missed such company – there are hearts and souls and minds all around her she does not know, yet they will carry on in life without her. She has missed seeing a face every place she looks (all of them unfamiliar, some of them smiling, some of them angry, some of them sad, some of them patient) rather than the forlorn expression of the trees. She craves the constant chatter of noise, much like the sounds of a happy stream or a thunderous waterfall.

She thrives in a place where there is constant, loud life.

Despite the overwhelming degree of energy, Adalyn’s eyes are drawn toward a stallion. He seems to be a steadfast rock among the powerful flow. Her ears tip forward in interest. He moves with a slow sort of step, as though he knows exactly where he’s going and that every step he takes will land him on sure footing. He is deft and sure of himself, something that interests the water girl. It takes Adalyn a moment to realize that she must have interested him also, as his heavy steps are landing closer to her.

The lake’s water ripples a touch more heavily (as if to match the sudden, quicker beating of her heart). His voice is lower than she originally anticipated. Deep – almost murky – blue eyes scan over his face. He seemed to lack a well-worn smile, at least for the moment. His question startled Adalyn; she was expecting some crazed rant about how great and mighty his kingdom or herd might be. “Well, Magnus, I’m bored and looking for someplace to take in my adventurous ass.”

Her lips dance into a genuine smile. She dips her head into a graceful nod. “My name’s Adalyn. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Despite her mildly sour mouth, her parents had instilled manners from a young age and she retains them still. Thank God for a literal angel of a father and a not-too-shabby mother.

adalyn

we carry these things inside that no one else can see
    they hold us down like anchors; they drown us out at sea

The Field is invigorating and relaxing all at once, the golden stallion falling into well-worn patterns, the feel of them smooth under his touch, while still enjoying the unknown of new company. It was enough to pull a crooked smile from his lips, expression brightening at her honesty. “Ah, adventure is what you are looking for then?” He knew the feeling well—that tug of desire for things just beyond the horizon. He had become well-accustomed to it over the years, and he knew just how intoxicating such a thing could be.

“I have little doubt that adventure is looking for you, as well.” She looked the sort. Mischievous glint in her eye, youthful exuberance brimming around her. Yes, she would most definitely have no problem finding adventure. It was unfortunate that his home was not one of wild tails and riots. It was a quieter place—one that was beautiful in that peace—but one that did not stir adventure with its every breath.

It had been difficult for Magnus to grow accustomed to that at first. The Gates had fit him like a second skin pulled too tight—rubbing against him uncomfortably at first. If he was being honest, it still did at times, when he felt the urge to give into the darker corners of his soul. The parts that rose first when he felt threatened. The parts that hungered for bloodshed instead of justice, for war instead of peace.

It took everything in him to strap those parts down—to quiet the voices in the back of his head.

So he empathized with her and, in the spirit of honesty, laid his cards on the table.

“The pleasure is all mine, Adalyn, I’m sure.” Taking a few moments to study her, he waited quietly, the ink of his tail flicking at his scarred haunched. Finally, he spoke again, whiskey-voice smooth as ever. “I do have an offer of a home, but the truth of the matter is that the Gates may not assuage the adventurous streak in your home.” He grew thoughtful, lips pressing together. “It is a quiet place. A refuge for those who are simply looking for a sanctuary or a place to find purpose in their life.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“That peace, however, is not free. It takes soldiers and diplomats alike to maintain it.” His smile grew dark, “And I’m always in need of both.” The Gates was vulnerable right now. He would have to be blind to pretend otherwise. He knew their army was thin, their number low. He needed to bolster their ranks if they were to stand a chance of survival. “I would be happy to tell you more if it struck your fancy or answer any questions you may have of the other kingdoms. Being as old as I am, you learn a thing or two about the places around here.” He perked up a little, smile roguish. It may have been decades since his birth, but he knew he still looked his prime. “I’d be happy to help you find your home, wherever it may be.”

magnus

The call to discover frequently and learn more is a growing sound she cannot ignore. In her quiet search for her family, Adalyn had been able to force the rich noise from her ears. She had been able to focus her attention on lingering at the border of the Dale, eyes on the lookout for anyone who seemed familiar. But the call became louder and louder until it ached in her ears and matched the rapid beating of her heart. Its noise led in the direction of the field and she moved after it. Adalyn’s feet couldn’t stay still for much longer; there is too much of the world to explore and too much knowledge to be taught.

The water girl feels as though she has already been taught, especially by Magnus. As she listens, Adalyn senses the deep wisdom and integrity behind his voice and warm smiles. He doesn’t look very old physically – his coat is a shiny gold, his eyes a sincere shade, his muscles defined and fit – but she can hear the years in his voice. Her curiosity nips at her perspective and she finds herself leaning toward the desire to learn more about him personally. Certainly someone such as he has seen far more sights than she has.

Nonetheless, Adalyn forces her wandering thoughts back on the topic at hand. He mentions his own home; the Gates, someplace far more suitable for a weary traveler and not a fresh adventurer. She pays close attention despite already dismissing the prospect, her manners ever present. Adalyn feels sorry for a few moments. She would certainly love to contribute to the small kingdom, but her large heart and desire for something loud and mighty and satisfying would not be content in a quiet place like Magnus describes.

Deep blue eyes search over the golden stallion’s face for a brief moment. “Thank you for the invitation, Magnus.” She can tell he already knew her answer as soon as his invitation left his mouth. “I would love to help, but I’ve been stuck in quiet places my whole life.” She thinks back to the Dale with its solid mountain faces and careful hearts and brimming lakes and soft spring seasons. Although she loves the kingdom, it is not the type of place she wants to be stuck in for the rest of her years.

Her ears prick forward when he speaks of the other kingdoms. She’s heard of them, sure. The icy Tundra, the wild Jungle, the careful Falls, the reckless Chamber, the passionate Deserts, and the shadowy Valley. Outside the base knowledge of their whereabouts and general information, Adalyn knows little. Certainly less than what Magnus might be willing to share. An excited smile dances across her inky lips. “Do you mind telling me more? I don’t want any of the dark and scary shit, so I don’t need to know anything about the Chamber or the Valley, I’d say.” She grins again, reckless and carefree. The waterfall dipping into the lake falls perhaps a little more forcefully, as if encouraged by its darling heart’s glee.

adalyn

(I'm leaning toward the Jungle for her, so maybe give her some info about it that might encourage her to go there? If you could. She's definitely already attached to him tho haha <3)
    Her life had to start somewhere.She walked into view.Her eyes set on some horses.She didn't know what to do.This was the first time she had seen horses for about 1 month.She was shocked at what they looked like.Her cremello colour glimmering in the sunlight.
    :cool: Speed Is Key!!!-Jacksepticeye :cool:

we carry these things inside that no one else can see
    they hold us down like anchors; they drown us out at sea

He is not particularly surprised by her disinterest in the Gates. Years and years of recruiting meant that he was fairly good at getting a read on others; he knew when he found someone who would be fed by being in the Gates and when he had found someone who would be bored. The kingdom could nourish or starve, depending on your nature, and he had never been interested in forcing the wrong fit.

So there is no ill will when she declines. Instead he just laughs, the sound rich and smoky in his throat. “I can understand that.” And he could. When he had first arrived at the Gates, he had never thought that he would make it his home. It was too quiet. Too peaceful. It lacked the cries of the brightly plumaged birds of his homeland or the pine-scented mischievous that permeated every corner of the Chamber. It was, instead, a place of quiet, and peace. Nothing that his often dark warrior heart hungered for.

Still, he had found his home there and come to love it. Enough to ignore the occasional twinge from the skin that stretched too tight—the feeling in his bones that he would never truly belong there. He was not like the others who were carved from Heaven’s cloth. He had blood on his hands, lust in his heart, a million things that he was not proud to claim as his own. But he still tried—would always try.

Turning back toward her, his expression grew more serious. “No Chamber or Valley then.” He was partial to the Chamber—partially for his father, partially for the years he served as its Lord—but there was no love lost between him and the Valley. He still burned with anger sometimes when he thought of all the kingdom had committed over the years; it took everything within him not to hold it against its inhabitants.

“Well, if you are looking for adventure, then there are few places better than the Jungle.” His eyes sparked as he spoke of the kingdom, the place of his birth. “It’s likely the most beautiful kingdom there is, and the women there are strong, intelligent—warriors and diplomats alike.” Sometimes, he longed to go back there, longed to find himself back among the vines. Similar to how he longed for all the places that he had called home throughout his life (the Jungle, the Chamber, the Dale, the Gates), but deeper—richer.

Finally, he shook his head, laughing again. “I may be biased toward the kingdom though.”

magnus

Adalyn enjoys the way his laugh sounds in her ears. It makes her think of happy days and droplets on her skin. She smiles back, mostly from the noise and the thoughts it brings but also from relief. She had been worried he might be disappointed in her, but she finds he is an excellent reader of the personality. Or maybe she is just large enough in her boldness that anyone could know she did not crave the quiet simplicity of a syrupy kingdom.

She’d heard the stories of the Valley, their torturous murders they committed and the hell-bound actions they performed. Despite her love for adventure and new things, she didn’t want to participate in any Satan-filled sacrifices or murderous rampages. Her heart sang for simple yet wild things – a constant undertow of life and noise, a place where she could explore every day and still not be content, a home where she could expand her knowledge and skills on anything. The Valley and Chamber seemed to fit certain stereotypes Adalyn didn’t want to secure herself in, just as the Gates sung of quiet, careful souls whom she did not wish to become.

Magnus begins speaking of the Jungle – the warrior kingdom – and she notes the way his eyes glint with excitement. As the buckskin speaks more and more about the wild land, Adalyn finds her heart tugging toward the words. Her deep blue eyes widen at everything he says and she can feel her wanderlust soul sparking and brimming and flying. It is almost as if she can taste the place now, almost as if she can see it in the way he speaks of it.

Adalyn dips her head, gold forelock falling across her face as she moves. “Well, it seems like it would be worth a shot.” Her inky lips smile again, another carefree expression that almost seems to brighten the field. “Thank you so much, Magnus.” Adalyn’s feet are already itching to get on the move, to bring her closer and closer to her possible new home. She redirects their movement, however, to step closer to the wise stallion. Her lips place a soft kiss on his cheek in gratitude. She hopes the gesture wouldn’t seem too intimate for him, but part a selfish bit of her hopes that would be the case. “I will try and come visit you and your Gates sometime soon.”

And with that, she turns her feet in a movement that almost looks like an ancient dance and begins to make her way toward the wild Jungle and its endless possibilities.

adalyn