• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  A Fallen Guardian and his Lover; Any

It was awful- utterly and completely awful. What Zeik did to Ellyse had poisoned Sahm’s soul so he ran. Blood burst through his veins as sweat poured down his brow. The sweat would have pooled if he was standing still, but with bounding hooves and fire in his heart he ran as fast as he could to the Tundra. Within the icy, cold kingdom there was peace and there was love. Sahm only made it a mile before tears began to mix with his sweat. In an instant he had failed both his father and Magnus. He couldn’t save either, and now he didn’t even care to save his home, the Gates. As Sahm ran he trampled on the memory of his family. Each step carried him further away from his supposed destiny and into the arms of his lover.

Sahm and Newton had met when Sahm had visited Offspring for advice. There sweet time together resulted in a daughter- a child that both men eagerly looked forward too. Newton was carrying the foal with full understanding that Sahm had duties within the Gates, and the ice stallion had no expectation of Sahm returning to the Tundra until spring. Newton settled into the east part of the kingdom. His belly already had grown in size. He felt abnormally weighted- his body not truly equipped to hold a foal. Newton found solace in the Tundra. He was near his family and near his kindred friends, the ice.

Out of the corner of Newton’s eye he caught sight of a blazing black form hurdling itself in his direction. He rose from his position and snorted. Steamy air expelled from his nostrils. Soon Newton recognized the figure to be Sahm, and he awkwardly stepped forward. Sahm halted before Newton with tears streaming down his cheek and voice stammering to speak. ”He just…he just…” Newton pulled Sahm into an affectionate hug. He wrapped his head around Sahm’s neck and gently lipped at Sahm’s shoulders. ”Shh….Shh…” Newton coaxed his lover before he landed kisses along Sahms cheek, drying the tears. ”I am here, I am here…” Newton continued to console Sahm.

Sahm took comfort in Newton’s embrace and pressed his weight into him while worries left him. ”Tell me what happened.” Sahm heard Newton whisper into his ear. Sahm unfurled himself from Newton and with tired speech explained the rise of Zeik and the exile of Ellyse. Newton calmly listened until the end. Then he went in for another gentle embrace. ”You are safe here…you belong here with me.” Newton said before a small smile glimpsed his lips. ”Let me introduce you to the others in the Tundra.”

sahm and newton
    the magician and the ice shifter

The grullo stallion had been walking the edges of the Tundra's realm, and had been aiming for the way ahead of him when he heard hoofbeats against the ice, heavy and rushed sounding. He turned towards it and followed, saw a black and white with - is that a trace of blue? - on his form, galloping towards a reddish equine. Lovers, maybe? He wonders, looking at one of them who seemed with foal but.. They're both men from what he can tell.

"Excuse me, who are you, black one?" He asks, having seen the reddish one before and not bothering to ask them, his ears back and form tense, ready to launch if it comes to it. He looks about for Offspring, not quite sure what to do until he comes. Keep him here, next to this reddish man? Maybe take him and search for Offspring? The ideas flood his mind as he watches the two carefully.

@[Sahm]

Sahm sank deep into Newton. ”No, please, just stay here with me.” He begged as exhaustion began to set in. Sahm’s legs began to tremble beneath him, and Newton simply pressed his body into Sahm to provide him more support. Newton had never seen Sahm in such distraught- normally he was the strength of the group. Sahm was the one who had pulled Newton out of his quiet misery. Sahm was the savior, not Newton. Today was different in that the black sabino needed his partner’s support and could not provide any in return. So Newton with the deepest love stood stoic and with strength as Sahm fell further into him.

The two could have stood there forever, and it felt like forever when they were together- yet another had stumbled upon them. This stallion postured and proceeded to interrogate Sahm as he cried quietly against Newton’s neck. Newton twisted his head and nibbled Sahm’s nose gently in comfort before speaking up. ”The black one..” He huffed. ”Is Sahm. He is my mate, and a friend to Offspring.” Sahm’s tears began to dissipate due to embarrassment. He didn’t want to appear weak during his first impressions. Half-heartedly Sahm tore from Newton’s hold and straightened himself. He nodded toward Newton- signing to him that he was all right and that the stallion was in no wrong to question him.

”I have come to join the ranks.” Sahm stated. ”What is your name?”
    sahm and newton

Seeing the two together, he stepped back as 6hw realized one was crying. It seemed like he'd come at the wrong moment to the stallion, and he dipped his head with respect as the black one straightened himself. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you. We don't typically see horses just running in, and I was wanting to meet you. I'm Real Fire, one of the Tundra's brethren and among the war caste. My sister is as well, Rael Fire," He starts quietly, voice quiet and kind but with a touch of pride at his sister's name, "To join the castes. I see, welcome to the Tundra. I will warn you, with kingdom magic gone the runes are our priority for protecting. Without them, we wouldn't be here. Please remember that as you join our ranks." He finishes, a dip of his head as he ends, a tone of responsibility and a guarded secret in his voice. He had been intiated only a mere few days before the cave held demons no longer.
    @[Sahm]

Although Newton wanted to simply protect Sahm, he knew that if they were to both live peacefully within the Tundra getting to know the other residents would be necessary. Sahm wasn’t like Newton. Sahm desired to be more than just a resident. Newton easily found solace in just having a home. Sahm found fulfillment in thriving in his home. So Newton simply stood beside Sahm, silently giving him support.

Sahm nodded his head in return to Real Fire. Slowly a smiled creased his lips at the stallions words. It must have been an unusual sight to see Sahm running frantically into the Tundra. ”The runes?” Sahm simply questioned. ”What are they?” Sahm had felt the magic disappear from the kingdoms, but he still held within him equal power. If protection was needed, Sahm was definitely the right stallion for the job.

While waiting for an answer, Sahm suggestively glanced over at Newton. ”Oh yeah…I’m Newton.” He muttered.
    sahm and newton

Watching the two, he saw a smile glide onto Sahm's lips. "Runes.. they usually look like gibberish but some horses can decode them, I do not know how. They held demonic spirits - until the recent change in kingdom loss of magic - that made any who entered face their inner demons, no matter what they be. You came out with either a black or white scar if you passed, and nothing but a mentally shredded soul if you failed, and if you come upon failing, you could be exempt from the initiation. It is a dangerous task." He says, answering some questions and clearing some fog, to the pair in front of him. Dipping his head and flicking an ear about to listen, he recognizes Newton's introduction. "Pleasure to meet you both." He says, his expression growing in happiness, and some of it spills onto his voice. His eyes are molten again, and his demeanor more welcoming, yet still guarded.

Hoofbeats catch his ears and he turns, seeing a slightly distressed looking sister come towards him at a speedy trot. "Saw him come over here. Who is he?" She asks, taking shallow breaths and eyeing Sahm and Newton warily as the stand behind him. She flicks an ear back, listening for anyone else, then returns her attention to what's in front on her. "Sis, it's okay. The black one is Sahm and the red one is Newton. Sahm is joining our ranks, and Newton is a resident here. It's okay, Rael. We're fine." The grey stallion says, soothing his sister and sending an apologetic look back to the pair, before turning towards the two again. "Sahm, Newton, this is my sister Rael Fire." He says, introducing her to them. She gives a small huff and shuffles forward to stand equal to her brother.
    - - - - -
    The grey mare was near the entrance, but on the far side of the kingdom, when a stallion burst through and headed for one of the corners. She saw her brother follow after pretty quickly, and started over herself. By the time she arrived, she was slightly breathless - or so she says, but she's really exhausted from training - and panted out a question nervously. They looked unfamiliar and she didn't know how to deal with them. Her brother, Real, soothed her and she slowed her breathing, focusing as she introduces them and steps equal to Real Fire. She wonders what brought this 'Sahm' here, and looks around with interest.

"Sahm. Interesting name. What caste are you leaning towards? We will always accept mode warriors, but spies are sometimes helpful. Not so much on the battlefield, sadly. I'm Rael Fire, Lieutenant of the Tundra." She says, dipping her head slightly and nudging at the fact she hopes he'll join the warrior caste, and stands quietly.

@[Sahm]

YOU CAN STAND ME UP AT THE GATES OF HELL, BUT I WON'T BACK DOWN.

The frigidity of winter had descended at last, soothing the fire that burned deep within him and keeping the flames at bay. The ice consoled him in a way that sunlight and warmth never could, and the brisk, brutal wind that often cascaded with unyielding force through the flatland below enveloped his mass in its embrace. His matted locks often fell in the way of his dark, fiery eyes, but he remained undisturbed - a pillar of strength upon a hilltop, watchful and mindful of those below. Though the most savage and unforgiving weeks lie ahead, with bristling blizzards and icy gusts to accompany them, it was still somewhat mild for being so deeply entrenched into yet another unrelenting season of snow and sleet.

Alas, he cannot remain rooted for too long - his limbs begin to ache from disuse, and the sinewy muscle tucked beneath his broad body roll and flex uneasily beneath his marred flesh. Eventually, he tires of stoicism and he draws himself away from the jagged wall of stone in which he is found more often than not - his heavy, pounding limbs churning forward as he pushes forward against the blowing wind.

His nostrils flare with a huff of air from his stagnant lungs, which soon burn delightfully from the icy cold. Surveying the permafrost-encrusted land before him, an unsettling sight draws his brow tight across his forehead - and soon, he is drawn to the commotion - a seemingly distraught individual, consoled by one of his own - Newton, son of Weir, who had fought valiantly in battle and had tucked himself within the wintry land for solace - and Real Fire and Rael Fire, a private and Lieutenant, respectively.

Irritation causes him to bristle slightly as his pace grows easy, his long legs covering much distance with each broad stride, while he listens closely to the conversation at hand. It had been some time since he had last seen Sahm, so curious and anxious for wisdom and understanding, and now he seemed distraught and downtrodden. His voice bellows out with a tremendous echo, bounding off of the shimmering ice wall looming close by, crimson eyes set intently upon the two siblings.

"Sahm is a friend of mine, and always welcome within our walls - stand down, you have done well." He orders, his voice laced with authority as his gaze meets each of theirs. At last, with a gentle nod towards Newton - who is intertwined with the emotional male beside him - his eyes meet with Sahm's, brow creased in uncertainty. "You seem uneasy. Has something happened within the Gates?" He pauses for a moment, mind rampant with what could have occurred - with a shift in authority, anything was possible. "Your aid would be much appreciated here, Sahm - I would gladly welcome you among us."

OFFSPRING

THE FIRE AND ICE KING OF THE TUNDRA
    The stallion turns to see Offspring approaching as he compliments him and calls him and his sister off. He back a few paces away, and stops, not knowing whether he should stay or not. He does not listen closely to what Offspring says next, but hears a question about the Gates and pauses, wondering what was happening. As his sister walks away a small amount, she flicks him with her tail, he steps towards her and noses her side, telling her to wait. He had an idea, but wanted to stay near them in case Offspring wants either of them to return. "I heard him say something about the Gates. Think that the Gates is where he comes from? I trust him if Offspring does, but I want to know." He tells her quietly, glancing back behind him once and angling an ear that way just in case he menions him or his sister.

- - - - -

She dips her head and backs a few paces to tand next to her brother, watching the king take where they had been standing and saw her brother watching the three closely, both ears angled towards Offspring. She flicks his side with her tail before turnin away and starting to move forward but pausing when he noses her side - his way of silently tellin her to stop or wait. She stays still, he comes next to her and says "He asked something about the Gates. Maybe that's where Sahm comes from?" with a flick of one ear back and a glance behind him and her towards them. She notices they are two horse lengths away at most, and stand still. She nods once, her face giving away the fact that she is thinking deeply. She stares off into blank space, ears swiveling occassionally as she hears some sort of noise.

Sahm appeared to be far more interested in Real Fire’s description of the Runes. Newton had heard some portion of the story before from random mutterings around the kingdom. He hadn’t heard the full story nor did he care to. The loss of magic amongst the kingdoms was a particularly painful topic for Newton and his family. He still missed Darwin and Rosalind. Sahm nodded his head along to the Tundra tradition being described. He knew that with further practice his magic could possibly restore a piece of the runes, but it would never be the same as it was when the magic flowed freely through them.

A mare approached the group. She was clearly having a delayed reaction to Sahm’s entrance. Newton took a step in front of Sahm out of protection. His hooves began to turn to ice as he solidified himself. Newton would have become overcome by ice had it not been for the reassurance the stallion quickly gave to his sister. Sahm gently nudged Newton; once again he assured him that he would be okay. Newton simply felt a deep need to protect Sahm, especially when he had just appeared in the kingdom under duress.

Sahm smiled at Rael Fire’s introduction, but before he could speak another set of hooves came bounding toward them. This one was thankfully a familiar face. Newton recognized the steed as well. It was his king. Though he had never been formally introduced- Newton had great respect for the king and all that he had done for Newton’s family. Newton lightly bumped Sahm’s shoulder once Offspring began to speak to them. The bump was simply a gentle reminder that the friendship Sahm had forged with Offspring was followed up by Sahm and Newton’s first meeting. Sahm glanced over toward Newton and waved him a knowing smile before returning his attention back to the others.

”I am uneasy..” Sahm began, his voice solemn. ”A lot has happened within the Gates.” He paused to take a heavy breath. Newton pressed his nose against Sahm for a brief moment to encourage him. ”I am not sure if you have heard, but a stallion named Zeik decided to crown himself king. After doing so several of the members voiced their disapproval. Zeik only addressed the males who spoke. And by address I mean he recognized they were upset, but didn’t answer any of their concerns. One of our more active mares, Ellyse, was rightfully upset. Zeik decided to meet her opposition with banishment. Magnus, a previous king and general of ours who also disapproved of Zeik, left the Gates after Ellyse. I followed their lead. Zeik has turned the Gates from a sanctuary to a dictatorship. He has no respect for anyone. The Gates was already dying. He is going to destroy it.” Sahm’s voice broke at the end. It became impossible for him to withhold his tears especially at the thought of his home disappearing. Newton’s jaw clenched, and he proceeded to whisper a gentle saying in his lovers ear and lay a kiss beneath his eye.

Once Sahm was able to regain a sense of composure he bowed his head to Offspring. ”I appreciate your welcome. It is best for me to serve you and the Tundra. Anything you need of me…just ask.” Sahm then turns to Rael Fire. ”And I wouldn’t make a terrible spy..” He said with a grin before he shapshifted his body to appear identical to Offspring’s. Newton jumped away with a shake of his head. Sahm shrugged his shoulders and quickly changed back to his usual sabino coat. ”I don’t think I can quite pull it off.”

”And I like you better this way.” Newton teasingly said and lipped at Sahm’s mane unabashedly.

sahm and newton