• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Where All Maps End; Any

The great, old stallion stood upon a hill etched out of rock. It sprung from the ground, flowing out from the trees like it had been birthed from them. The light of day was beginning to fall as a show of light tones began to weave through the darkening sky. Jason watched as the sun fell. His eyes glistened in the closing shine. The breeze curled his mane and cooled his warm shoulders. Jason could feel the peace flow through him like a spring emerging from hardened soil. It had been a long time since he had felt such a way. The Gates were the only home that seemed to give him such ease.

”I’m back, and I miss you..” He spoke into the empty space before him. Jason missed the friends he once held, the lovers he once kissed. There was nothing left and although he was thankful for the fresh start he longed for a friendly touch. Jason hadn’t had time to meet and make familiar faces- he knew that was a part of any new life. That didn’t mean he wasn’t eager to get to know others, to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Jason stretched out his neck, lifting his head until he felt the pressure pull his muscles apart. He relieved the movement with a heavy exhale. His tail flicked, and he shook his body. The vibrations flowed from his shoulders to his back side. Jason then settled into a comfortable stance and let his gaze rest on the stars.
    jason

Though they seemed dormant, the kingdom was bursting with life around them. The trees had sprung forth new buds and the flowers their blooms. An unspoken promise of hope, a reminder they’d survived another year unscathed. Small animals came forth from their dens intent upon exploring the new landscape. Though the fires had once ravaged them, it had also fed them. The dead and dying had fed the new and thriving, a perfect example of the circle of life. At the center of it all was the Mother Tree, her golden branches waving jovially to any and all who’d care to visit them.

Mast moved easily through the dying light, enjoying the way the sun and the moon battled for position in the sky. The sun was losing spectacularly, though the reds and yellows and hues of orange were evidence of the valiant fight she’d put up. But her brother moon was cresting now, bringing with him his army of stars. The gray stallion smiled, ears flicking at the Whip Or’ Whils sang into the night around him. A contented sigh left his lips, and he almost allowed his eyes to flutter closed before a soft, unknown voice met his ears. It was but a whisper and he couldn’t make out the words, but it was there true enough. Curiosity quickly got the better of him and he made his way towards the voice, his eyes and ears tuned onto his surroundings. Usually a night time visitor was cause for alarm, but Mast felt this was different; something said to him their visitor meant them no ill will. Finally, he seems him. A gray like himself, but with more of a bluish hue about him. He almost seemed to glow in the dying light, whereas Mast’s gray coat simply blended in like a ghost. “Hello!” he called softly, a smile on his black muzzle. “I’m Mast. It’s not often we get night-time visitors.” he said with a chuckle, cocking a hind leg to show the stallion he too was relaxed and welcoming. “May I ask your name?” And so the gray stallion waited, swishing his tail lazily around his haunches.

mast

be my asleep at last

The crickets’ chirping was slowly turning into a lullaby to Jason’s ears. His eyes were becoming heavier by the second. It had been a long time since he had been able to truly relax- but here, amongst spirits of friends, he felt wrapped in warmth. It was as if tender touches from ghosts had become the breeze that was now swirling around him. He could have stood there contented with nothing more for years.

A rustle, a step, and then a voice, all three came sequentially and quickly. Jason’s eyes snapped open as he turned his head in the direction of the sound. Initially he didn’t see anything in the darkness, but once his eyes adjusted a form started to take shape. As the shape traced into the outline of a horse it began to speak. An introduction was made- nothing that was unusual until the end. Jason was called a “night-time visitor”….visitor… His heart sunk at the word. It hadn’t occurred to him that was what he was- to them- to the current habitants.

The stallion, Mast, did seem friendly despite his unknown mistake. Jason had felt his own gaze fall, but he was quick to place a smile on his lips and brighten his expression to not (but just barely) show disappointment. ”Hello Mast, my name is Jason.” He said warmly. ”I have actually come to this place to offer my loyalty. So I hope to not be a visitor for too long. Do you live here?”
    jason