• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

; AUSTRALIS
    ROMEK
    He swung between panic and an almost too-still sense of calm. Some days, he panicked that he would never see Maribel again, panicked that he would never have a home, or know safety, or friends. He panicked that his children would grow up skinny and timid, scared of everything that lay before them (although that seemed a bit of a stretch to expect for Lili, at the very least).

And then other days a frighteningly cold calm would descend and he would realise that no matter what he did, or didn’t do, he couldn’t change anything. He swung between these two extremes, unsure of what to do, confused, alone. He knew that if his golden wife were here, he would have wise counsel and a steady grounding and he would know how best to proceed, what best to do. But he didn’t have her, he didn’t have anyone that he could talk to. Nobody who’s judgement he trusted, anyway, and who had the time for him.

Perhaps he had been more alone than he had realised, in that kingdom of ice, rock and snow. Artificial friends, horses he barely spoke to… All strangers living in the same borders. There was no true kinship there. No, his ties were to his family, and to Offspring, and to the few friends he had, and the acquaintances.

But was this the right decision? It seemed like there was no such thing anymore.
    fuck all your dreams, they’re not all they seem

show me who i am and who i could be
    In the days that had passed, Australis still could not find her family. It wasn’t too surprising, not really, not when the entire population had been forced into the meadow and the forests surrounding it. There were so many faces, so many voices, each one wanting to be heard more than the last. It seemed impossible that she would ever be able to find anyone she knew.

But she had.

Or rather, he had found her. The pale stallion with the stoic face and a strange laugh that sometimes made her wonder about his choice to live alone for so long, had been the first to find her. Before even a new day had come, he had appeared by her side in the shadow beneath the trees, and she had gone willingly into the curve of his bright neck. He made her feel less lonely, less worried, he gave her faith without trying to that at some point she would reunite with her family.  

Still, she does not use his company like a crutch, does not hide in the safety of his friendship. Each day she ventures a little further out, each day she makes him promise that he’ll still be there when she returns.

Today doesn’t feel any different than the ones that came before it, but as she peers across the edge of the meadow she finally finds a face from home. “Romek!” She flows like water across the meadow, burying herself in the curve of his neck with a smile pressed to his dark skin. They do not know each other well enough for this to be anything other than uncomfortable at any other time, but it feels like having seen the world come undone is enough of a reason for him not to push her away.

“I’m glad you’re safe.” She tells him quietly as she pulls away, nosing his cheek once with the soft of a whiskered mouth. “Have you found anyone? Mom or dad, Maribel?” But when those quiet brown eyes lift to his face, she can see the shadow waiting there for her and she realizes her mistake. If he had found Maribel, he would not be standing here alone. She steps closer again, feeling a bubble of sorrow blossoming in her chest, and uses her nose to brush aside his forelock in a way that she has seen her mother do a dozen different times. “It’s okay, we’ll find her. I can help.”

initiate the heart within me until it opens properly

okay so i'm playing it like she learned his name in the tundra thread they almost had, just let me know if you want me to change it <3
    fuck all your dreams; they're not all they seem.
    The events and how they came to pass have been weighing very heavily on his mind. And, despite the fact he knew that the black former King did not have need of him (nor, perhaps, did he even want him there), he couldn’t help but feel abandoned, betrayed. Finally having a home, finally having his wife back at his side and his children beneath him, finally having his friends around him – it was all tinged bittersweet. He is sure, over time, this feeling will fade – after all (he keeps reminding himself) they were merely doing what they thought was best. Offspring had sought his strongest allies, and none were those who had once been part of their kingdom. And, even worse, he had teamed up with the Valley. Being allied to them was bad enough, but the tiger-man simply could not tolerate living beside Valleymen. He had tried it once, beneath the fairer hoof of his good friend Demian, and could not hack it. There is no reason why it would work now. Some things never change.

He hears his name being called and looks up to see Australis, Maribel’s sister, advancing towards him. He smiles as she comes closer, and they embrace for a moment – something that the spotted stallion would normally never tolerate, but this was a special case. The world had come crashing down about their ears and everywhere was chaotic and nobody knew what to do, and there were a great deal many lost but – she was safe, and she was one of his.

”I’m glad you’re safe too,” he says with a smile as she noses his cheek and he, content, enjoys the affection for once. At her next question though, he is flooded with shame and he bows his head. If he did not betray his King, why did he feel so guilty? It is a feeling he will have to examine later, alone, in private. She is affectionate, and he is grateful, but he can’t help but feel that he is misleading her, she shouldn’t be here being caring over him, of all people. Also, his dear wife probably wouldn’t approve.

”No, no, she’s fine, she’s safe. Everyone’s fine and safe.” he says, a little more glumly than he had intended. ”Offspring has gotten everybody a land, with the Tundra people and their allies. The Chamber, the Valley and also the Gates. You should probably go to them.” he pauses. ”I am not with them any longer, I am afraid. I have taken a land to the north, Taiga, with my family and some friends.”

And he just lets that sink in.

Romek

click me pls