• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Boom Zahramay [Jinju]

now don’t you understand…that I’m never changing who I am?
    And so Jinju followed Reagan into the homeland, Taiga, a place full of snow—and of trees. For Reagan, who had her abilities back, she had seen clearly that her newly adopted little coal-black niece was indeed a pyrokinetic—having the ability to wield and use fire at will—with practice. And little Jinju was not aware of her abilities, much less how to use them. So, when the time came, Reagan would be the one to show the daughter of Offspring—a rival leader—how to use her abilities as best as she could, and without burning down the forest where they now resided.

Such things seemed little now in the way of simply having someone. Being able to bond with another and feel the camaraderie was more important than the abilities that were God (or fairy) given, and remembering this, caused Reagan to be silently grateful at her good fortune to finally be given a chance to grow a little bit beyond the clover and her overwhelming fear of potatoes.

When the two of them finally managed to cross from the forest and into the Taiga—which was evident by the changing in the trees and how the air smelled, for it smelled sweet and crisp and fresh—Reagan turned around and widened the pathway for Jinju, popping the mosses up out of the snow and floating them around neck like an emerald-jewel necklace. Stopping, she turned to see if Jinju was close enough to her to be able to see that she was able to cast her spells again, choosing at this time to speak to the little coal filly. “Yes, Jinju, your fire. And in time, you will see just how much power you have to give this world. You will light up the world, and it will be warm, and glorious. When the time is right, I will show you how.”
    Jinju
    Cold. That is the first thing that flashes through her mind upon arriving in her new homeland. Jinju wasn’t used to snow and low temperatures. The Jungle had always been warm and humid, the heath had been easy for her to adapt to. She simply is not prepared for the cold she now got exposed to. The only slightly familiar thing were the trees, although they were clearly different from the ones she knew. They offered less shelter too, as there were no bushes where she could hide behind. She shivers due to her thin coat, but it doesn’t stop her from following Reagan further into the lands.

”Aunt Reagan..” she calls out towards the gray mare, trying to catch her attention before continuing. ”Why.. Why is it so cold here? And.. and what is the white stuff on the ground? It’s cold and wet..” Her first steps in the snow had been hesitant, with a few jumps and extreme leg movement, before she had started to walk normally, copying Reagan after having watched the gray mare move.

By the time Reagan stopped and turned the black filly was exhausted. The day had been long and full of emotional experiences. She was just drained of almost all her energy. So when Reagan uses her magic to fancy herself with a pretty green necklace, Jinju can only stare at the older mare in awe. Her red eyes followed the hovering green dots. Stepping forward she is about to reach out to it, but it is her aunt’s voice that pulls her out of her thoughts before she can do so. Tilting her head a bit to the side she listens to the gray mare, a frown disgracing her young features. ”You make it sound like I’m someone great.. What if I’m not?” She believed she was not. Why else would her mother dump her at the Den in the first place? After all, Jinju had clear memories of an older brother that was accepted at their mother’s side.

Reagan’s heart broke upon hearing the little girl’s ambivalence with both herself, her abilities, and her ability to cope with the cold of the forest. She smiled, and willed her magic to turn the moss necklace into a scarf, thick and luxurious, but one that was made of a magician’s fire. It would not burn, scorch, or have any magical power other than keeping the wee one warm as she made her way through the trees, and would disappear when spring came. Placing it around Jinju’s inky black neck, Reagan smiled and looked at her, touching her grey velvety nose to Jinju’s. “Does that make things a little warmer for you, my dear?”

And then, stepping back, she took a bit of the flame from the end of Jinju’s scarf, and pulled it over her own body, creating loops and arches about her, controlling the fire with a flick of her ears, or her eyes, always always keeping her concentration as she played with the flames. The warmth blew past her as she willed the fire to grow, and then to shrink, creating a little fire fairy that danced about jinju’s body, laughing and singing. Reagan watched for a change in expression in Jinju’s beautiful ruby colored eyes, waiting to see any sense of happiness on the young girl’s face. “You, my dear, are very special. You’ll just have to take my word on this one. Do not let anyone tell you differently.”

Jinju
    A small pout formed upon her lips as the pretty necklace disappears, reforming and reshaping in something else. The disappointment soon changes into surprise and as the comfy fabric wraps around her neck lightly she can feel the warmth spreading in her body. It only works slowly, but her limbs are already tingling before the warmth reaches her. Ruby eyes meet emerald ones, surprise still clearly evident, but also with a small smile tugging on her lips. Jinju nods eagerly, pressing her nose against Reagan’s in return. She doesn’t understand how it works, but as long as it would keep the cold away you wouldn’t hear her complain.

It is when Reagan starts to play with the fire that her amazement grows. Jinju can only stare at the pretty flames that dance around, swirling elegantly across the mare’s dark pelt, before changing into even a more beautiful form. She’s squealing in delight as the fire fairy dances around her, neck bending to have her eyes follow the little thing, even turning around in an attempt to show her enthusiasm and amazement. By the time Reagan speaks to her again, the black filly is grinning widely, red eyes twinkling. The words make her uneasy though, hesitance growing again and she casts her gaze down. What if she couldn’t meet up with aunt Reagan’s expectations for her? She had already disappointed a caretaker before, which hadn’t brought her any good.

”I.. I will try..” she eventually mumbles, still not daring to meet the gray mare’s emerald gaze. She would try, try the hardest she could, driven by the fear of being left alone again.

Jinju’s reluctance to understand just how special she was resonated with Reagan, and it occurred to the old grey mare that she had never before been a mother to anyone before—at least, not in the truest sense. She had sewn her royal oats, as the case were, but to actually ever mother a child, Reggie had failed miserably. The closest she had ever come was to her son Ashley and his brother Ewan, and yet even there, the lust for power had tempted her to turn her young son over to the Pumpkin King as an heir. She had curled her little finger around the cup of insatiable control over her surroundings, and when she had expired her rule, she had left with her dignity in tact, not really caring what happened to her children or to their descendants.

As to what made Jinju so different, Reagan was not sure. But to see the vulnerability in the sooty little girl’s ashen ruby eyes, Reggie saw a bit of herself. Casting prayers as shadows as easily as her magical abilities, not knowing how or even if she could make sense of the gifts she had been given, a young Reagan had danced among the clover in her homeland, making waves in the moors and bathing in a sea of green lush grasses. Jinju was looking for that peace, and that assurance that it would be okay.

And so Reagan took her steps further into the forest, driving deep into the center of their new homeland, beckoning Jinju to follow.  “Do not fear disappointing me, my darling girl. You are as my own, and I shall take you into my house, and into my family. You always have a place with me, and you will always have a safe space to test your fire. Do not be afraid to be yourself here, Jinju. Here, you are loved.”
    Jinju
    If it was not for Reagan, she probably wouldn’t have been aware of her powers at all. Yes, she remembered the fire, but back then she hadn’t known that she had been the one to cause it. Right now Jinju could only hope that someone would’ve been able to put it down, which probably happened, because when she glanced up in the direction of the mountain, it still looked the same as before.

By pointing out her gifts Reagan had probably saved all of them from harm, who know what might would’ve happened if she had been given back the powers she didn’t even knew of. She could’ve set the whole Taiga, or worse, someone, on fire by accident, may it be due to fear, excitement or anger. The idea frightened Jinju. Not only didn’t she want to let Reagan and Ruan down, but she also was dearly afraid of hurting someone. What if they would kick her out if that would happen?

It is almost like Reagan knows what happens in her mind, just as she was starting to panic, the gray magician knows how to calm her down. The inky black girl follows, never daring to be further away than a few steps. Finally she found someone again, someone that apparently cared for her, and there was no way Jinju would let Reagan get out of sight. The words calm her down, sooth her, happy to learn that her aunt would make sure she wouldn’t accidentally hurt someone. ”Your house?” she repeats, suddenly curious to what it was and what it meant. Family she understood, she didn’t refer to the gray and emerald mare as aunt for nothing, but never before had Jinju heard of ‘house’.

”Are there, are there more in your house?” Her voice hesitant and soft, almost shy even, as she trails further into the Taiga at the mare’s side. She was still too young to think ahead far and put things together in a sense of logic. Yet she did worry about what others she might get across.