• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

nothing's only words; weir, family

They’d been together during the change, thank god. As the only world they’d ever known had crumbled about them, they’d clung to each other, taking what little comfort they could from the presence of love and family.

And then, when the world had stopped shaking and they had finally climbed down the Mountain … everything had changed.

Beqanna was gone, is gone. And in it’s place is a land far removed from the place she’d grown to know and love.

But, in the end, it doesn’t matter, truly.

The important thing is that she still has Weir, Lumi, Taiga and Scholar. She still has her family.

She hasn’t seen Neva, Graeme, Newton or Sahm yet though, and it concerns her. Especially with Newton being in the family way …

But she stays positive, for both her children and for Weir. It will do them no good for her to break down in worry. And besides, her children and Sahm have good heads on their shoulders. It’s time to have a little faith in them.

And she needs to focus on wrangling the lot that are still living with her.

They’ve been staying in the meadow while Weir searches for a new home, and the girls in particular are driving her a little crazy. Taiga spends her days testing out the wings the fairies have given her as a temporary replacement for her snowman shifting, often ending up in places that she simply has no business being (like the middle of the river … dear lord child). And Lumi … the girl often spends her time trying to sneak away in fits of teenage angst … not that Eira can truly blame her. The recent upheaval has only helped to make the poor girl feel even more different than her siblings - Eira has seen her gazing at Taiga’s new wings in jealousy more than once. Thank god Scholar has taken to following his father around.

Thankfully, for the present moment, things are relatively calm. They’re at the northern edge of the meadow today, where a thin channel separates the meadow from one of the new territories, Tephra. Lumi and Taiga are splashy around quietly in the brackish water, and Eira is taking the chance to sit back on her heels and relax. With these two, who knows when she’ll get the next chance.

EIRA,
    LUMI & TAIGA

nothing's better than family

@[Weir]
    @[Neva]
    @[Graeme]
    @[Newton]

Mostly for Weir, but if anyone else wants to join in they are welcome Big Grin
    He’d hoped to find a place before they all came down but nothing could keep them apart- understandably so. As much as he wished they would take refuge in the safety of the Mountain, a place where their gifts still ran rampant, he knew he could not ask it of them to stay away. Even for safety’s sake.

They’ve holed up in the Meadow, one of few places still left to them, to everyone. It was as nice as ever, tall grass brushing their stomachs, purple flowers over here, a few trees. One might never know or suspect all the changes that had recently taken place if they only looked upon the Meadow, and he’s sure that there in fact are some that may not have noticed, the ones that made this their permanent home- lucky them. Weir knew better, Eira too and he did his best to impress upon his children the severity of the situation. Did his best. Like convincing the boys to take immortality upon climbing down the mountain side, mostly as not too further upset their sister Lumi, the poor dear. For whatever reason the little chestnut girl had been the only one to not inherit some sort of gift and unsurprisingly she often seemed to feel left out, jealous even.

No, it was for the best that they all choose this quieter gift for now. Besides, it would give them extra time on their side and that was invaluable in itself, especially for all the searching they must do.

So far Weir hadn’t found too many good spots to settle, today they were on the far end of the Meadow, the one nearest a place called Tephra and that would be where he explored today. Something was bound to turn up right? This just might be the place. But, for now he rested, watching Taiga splash about as if she were a fish. (Sigh, try as he might she wanted the wings. Silly girl) Rowling and Scholar both licked at his heels, sticking close, must be a man thing and together they walked to Eira. “Boys, go find Lumi would you, make sure she is okay?” Weir directed the words at Rowling, facing the boy and slowly going over the syllables. It would be up to Scholar though to know their true purpose and though Rowling nodded, Scholar bumped his little nose to his brother’s shoulder and they were off.

“Eira,” Weir smiled, brushing his maw against her cheek in greeting. “I’ll be looking into that land over there, cross the river,” he indicated with a toss of his head. “I just hope it’s what we are looking for, I think I smell Offspring just faintly too.”
    WEIR
    if i go crazy then will you still call me
    superman

Aaaand of course, the peaceful moment is short lived.

“Taiga that’s not fair!” Eira’s ears snap to attention and her brown eyes swing back to her daughters just in time to see her youngest daughter take to the air, flapping just out of Lumi’s reach. She can’t help but let out a long, loud sigh. She truly loves and adores her children with all her heart … she just wishes the girls could keep from snapping at each other for at least five minutes.

“Taiga, that’s enough!” Taiga’s chestnut head snaps towards her mother and, hearing the exasperation in Eira’s voice, thankfully sets back down beside her sister and resumes splashing her with little kicks at the water. But the foolish girl can’t resist giving her sister a little buffet with a ruddy wing and Eira grimaces. She and Weir and tried so hard to get Taiga to choose immortality like the boys had done, but the girl had just been so … stubborn. Poor Lumi.

She’s thankfully distracted from her frustration by the sound of approaching hooves and the scent of oh-so-familiar horses on the wind. Her dark face breaks out into a grin as Weir and the boys trot into view and she nickers softly as they approach. She doesn't miss Weir’s brief conversation with the boys and the instant chance in the direction of their walk, and when Weir steps up to brush her cheek, she presses into the touch. “Thank you.” She sighs, then jerks her muzzle in the direction of the girls. “They’ve been at each other off and on all morning.” She watches as Lumi and Taiga turn to look at Scholar and Rowling, and suddenly become far more interested in splashing their brothers than each other. “I keep reminding her, but she just can’t seem to help showing off.” There’s no need to mention a name, it’s obvious enough who the instigator is. “I just don’t know what to do with her sometimes.” And they’re going to need to do something soon, before it permanently damages Lumi and Taiga’s relationship … if it hasn’t already.

But there’s something else Weir wants to talk about - she can see it in the look on his face - and she falls silent to let him speak. Her eyes follow his gesture to the land across the river and pause for a moment to inspect. She hasn’t given the place much thought yet, having left the choosing of a home to Weir, but from what she can see it seems a pleasant place, with lush greenery growing around it’s edges. She’s just not so certain about the volcano in its centre. “Are you sure it would be safe with that volcano?” Normally it wouldn’t be much concern - she and Weir would be able to protect the most adventuresome of their children (aaaand we all know who that is) - but they are powerless now, and unable to fight the heat. Funny that she actually misses her abilities now, when she’d once been so eager to rid herself of them.

The exasperation in her voice is hard to miss, he’s found himself equally as frustrated lately. It’s a terrible yet unavoidable thing too. Terrible because Weir absolutely loved children, they both did, and this was one of their own. Unavoidable because, well, the girl was certainly a free spirit. Taiga had been conceived during a rather peculiar breeding season, something had gone wrong with the fairy that was gifting children and apparently some lavender pegasus was to blame- or so he heard. But here in Beqanna, if there were rumors on the wind then they were likely true or had a reasonable amount of truth in them.

Now, don’t get him wrong, she was a darling girl and her gift was unique and wonderful in it’s own right but my, my, my she was one to press buttons.

He watches with a disapproving glare as the girls pick at each other, mostly Taiga pestering Lumi. Eira is quick to action but still, he knows she is grateful that the boys are soon present to distract them both. They would need to figure something out with poor Lumi, the girl was obviously feeling left out and resentful. On that thought perhaps they could petition the fairies, or even find a Magician willing to help. It wouldn't need to be an extravagant gift he thought, just a little something to set her apart. If he could grant her wish himself he would have done so long ago, at the very least to save his own ears from the incessant bickering.

“It’s not your fault my love,” he assures the bay mare, gently tapping her jaw with his rusty lips. “She’s a free spirit that one, perhaps a little too free admittedly. We’ll figure something out for Lumi, perhaps I can assist with it even,” he goes on, sharing talk of the common grounds with his wife. “I hear the fae will allow one to petition for their gifts back with enough hard work. We could find a Magician and see if they might lend a hand,” it was a thought at least, something to take into consideration.

As to the land just across the river banks he turned his amber gaze back towards its direction. Eira felt concern with the looming volcano in the backdrop and wondered if it would be safe. “Nothing’s safe for certain my dear, but I’m sure together we can do anything.” He lifted her chin with his nose, “Especially protect our children,” he whuffed warm air at her and then lipped at her nostrils gently.
    WEIR
    if i go crazy then will you still call me
    superman

As usual, he sees right through her.

“It’s hard to not feel responsible.” She sighs again and shakes her head. It feels like she’s been fighting with Taiga ever since the girl was born. Fighting with her over her treatment of her sister, fighting with her over trying to keep her close and safe …

But try as she might, Taiga always finds some way to oppose her. What is she doing wrong here? What could she do differently to help the girl understand? Or … maybe Weir is right. Maybe Taiga is just a little too much of a free spirit, and there’s nothing she can do beyond trying her best to corral those wild impulses.

Weir’s voice turns to Lumi and her mind whirls over what he suggests. “The fae might let us regain our own abilities, but would they be willing to give out new ones? Their view of those of us with gifts is clearly very low these days …” And she cannot blame them for it. There has been so much war-mongering in the last few years. So much wanton destruction. And as for magicians …

“Do you know if any magicians have regained their power? And if they have, would they even be willing to help us?” So many of the magicians she’s heard of are … self absorbed to say the least. “And if they are willing to help … what would they ask in return?” She’s heard too of deals made with magicians that had turned out poorly for the non-magic user.

She sighs again (she seems to be doing that so often lately) and lifts her brown eyes to meet his amber ones. “I’m sorry to be so negative. I really hope we can find some way to help her. There’s just a lot of consider.” And she doesn’t want to make a mistake that could hurt their baby girl even more than she’s already hurting.

Eira follows his gaze back to the steaming mountain across the water, and a little smile finally slips across her face. “I suppose you’re right my dear.” Hasn't she already learned enough about not letting fear rule her? She lets Weir lift her head with his nose, and her smile can’t help but widen. “How about we all take a look together?”