• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I'm Not Broken,I'm Just Hurt
    It was another beautiful spring morning.Most foals were playing and romping around.Lanora however,stood quietly in a shady patch of grass.Her emerald green eyes scanned the area,looking at all the other foals.She wished she could be like them,careless,happy.Lanora let out a snort and bent her head down to take a bite of the cold,dew covered grass.She chewed slowly.Lanora picked head back up and whinnied loudly,hoping to catch the attention of any nearby mares or stallions.
    Akkadian
    "Awk-ay-dee-Uhn"
    I am... Kade.
    On the outside, he was dangerous, a formidable opponent to any who challenged his protection. He was trained that way from birth, with the added years of experience from fighting off and raiding the many warring clans of his homeland.

But inside, he was just a vulnerable child. He fought doubts surrounding his "family". He had grown up a prince, only the second-born so thankfully not the heir, but a prince nonetheless. Until, of course, the day his father-king told him the truth; that he'd been an orphan discarded carelessly and left to die. He'd been taken in only to become the true heir's personal bodyguard and friend.

As if his thoughts could conjure up his own past, he found himself in a place reflective of his story. Steely eyes gazed around at little faces who all had also been abandoned or lost in some way, some sad, some seemingly oblivious to their situation as they pounced about. One, though, held still.

Black as his own coat, she was a beacon to him, calling his attention with her passive stance. She did not play, did not cry. She merely was. There seemed a fiery spark in her eye and he assumed she must be a strong one to handle whatever her young life had thrown at her thus far and still remain so stoic.

And then he wondered what the heck he was doing here. He should turn around and leave. Why was he still standing here? And then he found himself moving forward and not away from the adoption den. He halted in front of the girl, towering over her with a blank face.

Do you have a name? he asked calmly, his eyes hard and focused. Curious.

I am.. he hesitated, not sure if he should reveal his name. It was a bit lengthy, perhaps, for one so small. He wasn't really interested in explaining the meaning of it either.

Kade, he supplied instead. Yes, she could call him Kade, that would do. Dark eyes peered at her carefully, sweeping over her in a quick flick of the eyes, taking mental note of any injuries and waiting patiently for her reply.

Lanora was standing there,when she heard hoof-steps approaching.She looked up to see a stallion,tall with a coat black as night,like hers.She stared at him,dark eyes looking down at her.Lanora's emerald green eyes looked over the stallion.He looked strong,and confident.Then he asked her name.

"My name is Lanora."Lanora said,confidence lacing her voice.Her eyes blazed with the fire of pain,and anger.She continued staring at stallion.He told her his name was Kade.Her gaze continued to pierce Kade's gaze.
    Akkadian
    "Awk-ay-dee-Uhn"
    The little fire
    Glittering green eyes peered back at him without hesitation, sweeping over him briefly before she responded with her name. Lanora. It was nothing like the names of his homeland, but that was to be expected.

He noted the strength in her voice, her fearless gaze despite his towering height over her. A smirk slid over his face, and he found he admired her spunk. It reminded him of his baby sister when she was young, so oblivious to how fragile she truly was. He didn't really like the protective feeling slowly sneaking in, though. Like it was once again his duty to be bodyguard to a prince or princess.

Why are you here?
    Where's your family, little fire?

Akkadian stepped forward and nosed at her little velvet muzzle. It was unlike him to touch others, he didn't even nose his own sister, but he felt the urge to just then. Perhaps he was testing her boundaries, and if she'd allow his approach.
    Lanora continued to watch Kade,a smirk on his face.Lanora snorted.Kade asked her why she was here,where her family was.

"I am here because I have no family,my mother abandoned me when I was younger,barely old enough to take care of myself."Lanora replied.She smiled slightly when Kade touched her muzzle to hers,It felt nice.Lanora leaned towards Kade.
    Akkadian
    "Awk-ay-dee-Uhn"
    A smile crept across his lips as she leaned into his touch. So little, just a sprite of a thing. He let her words sink in as he took another step into her personal space. Her tone was even, matter-of-fact. If she held pain of her abandonment, she clutched it tight and hid it from the world. So young and untried, and already the makings of a strong creature.

I have no family either he admitted. It was not entirely the truth, and yet it was profoundly honest. He, too, had been abandoned, so his true family was a mystery. The one that raised him had all been murdered, in a faraway land. Only his sister from that family yet lived. But even there, that was not truth, for like him, her blood was also not of his king's and queen's.

He shifted closer and lined her up to his side, his velvet muzzle snaking down and pushing gently into her neck. Her scent was as sweet as a baby could be, and he thought that fire in her eyes might be ebbing a little, trusting him. He gave her a firm nudge, testing her stability on her awkward child's legs. If he were to consider taking her from this place, she'd have to keep up with him. Was he really thinking he could care for a kid? He must be losing his sanity.
    Kade took another step into Lanora's space.Her smile grew wider.Kade told her he had no family either.Lanora sympathized.She nuzzled his neck,nickering softly.Her eyes softened and she leaned into Kade's side. Lanora felt content,more content then she had been in a while.Kade pushed her,but Lanora stood firm,despite her awkward and gangly legs.

"You can't knock me over."Lanora said,defiance in her small voice.
    Akkadian
    "Awk-ay-dee-Uhn"
    He chuckled softly at her daring nature, feisty little words from a feisty little imp. This one would fit in quite well with him. She'd have to be a tough girl to stand at his side, and to deal with his sudden mood changes.

There were times when he could be this gentle but firm stallion she was seeing now, but far more often he was cold and withdrawn with a soldier's mask firmly in place. He was raised a bodyguard, and that side of him would always slip to the fore naturally and easily whenever necessary. Often times he was far too prideful, and pushed others away when they got too close.

Already, this child had seen more of his old self than any other. Before his family's end, he'd been the mischievous brother, always trying to get his older brother to lighten up and not take his duties as the prince so seriously. He wished he could go back to that time, when his heart was light and playful.

He looked down at her with a crooked grin, giving her another solid shove.
    Come, little one. he said.
    I will find you a home.
    Lanora stood contentedly at Kade's side,remembering her mother.She was cold-hearted,cruel.She had often times tried to leave Lanora,but Lanora always found her way.The last time she hadn't.But now she had Kade.Lanora stood there,drifting off sleepily,until Kade spoke.He told her to come with him,that he'd find her a home.Then Kade nudged her awake.Lanora shook her small head quickly to wake herself up.She whinnied softly and nuzzled Kade's side.

"Okay.Where do we go first?"Lanora asked,her eyes full of curiosity.
    (09-25-2016, 03:33 PM)LunarHorse Wrote: Lanora stood contentedly at Kade's side,remembering her mother.She was cold-hearted,cruel.She had often times tried to leave Lanora,but Lanora always found her way.The last time she hadn't.But now she had Kade.Lanora stood there,drifting off sleepily,until Kade spoke.He told her to come with him,that he'd find her a home.Then Kade nudged her awake.Lanora shook her small head quickly to wake herself up.She whinnied softly and nuzzled Kade's side.

"Okay.Where do we go first?"Lanora asked,her eyes full of curiosity
    OOC:I meant to post this as Lanora