• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

here i am, this is me; any

raeanne
    et fato, quod non scietur  

The tiny chestnut filly stumbled into the clearing blinking wide green eyes in the afternoon sun. She was undoubtedly lost. Her mother had disappeared after only a few days together and so now she had no one. She wasn’t even sure what had happened only that she had awoken alone and followed her tiny nose to a scent that seemed comforting, to a place that seemed safe. She took a few more tentative steps forward. Around her other youngsters bleated for their mothers and were comforted by kind looking faces that approached them from the outside.

For a moment images of weighty, ropey vines flashed through her mind. Air thick with mist and heavy with the scent of other mares. Not a single scent of male existed in that place. Here though, faintly she would occasionally scent a stallion. That made her nervous for some reason. Perhaps that was why her mother had disappeared? She didn’t know.

Here seemed safe enough though. Her bright eyes peered around for a moment longer before she inched up around the broad boughs of a nearby tree as she awaited her fate.

vivianne x rigdon

Circinae

I guess I don’t have much else to do so I end up wandering here. It’s not all that bad - a little quiet but that seems to me a good thing. The less noise around here the less it seems that horses are abandoning their young. Oh, sure, the smells all remain: Stallion, mare, even old smells that I can’t really place. They’re still here, and the memory they left is still here, but the owners are long gone. Makes me wonder what happened to all the little buggers who didn’t have someone coming through to pick up children like wayward puppies. Such a sad thought.

I was one of the lucky ones anyways. Always had mom and dad somewhere nearby to encourage or reprimand. Though my parents could hardly be called a ‘couple’, they worked silently and easily with one another when they happened to be together. I never understood why that was but I’d never felt the need to ask, so I guess I’ll just never know. One of life’s little mysteries. What concerns me more now is that I’ve picked up on a particular smell that doesn’t seem so old.

All it takes is the rounding of a tree and there she is: little angry ball of red fur and nothing but legs. I’m shocked, actually, to see her out here all alone. Shocked more by the fact that I had no idea what to do with her. I’m practically a baby myself. “Are you … you know, abandoned?” I ask hesitantly, because I can’t really think of anything else to say and she’s just standing there, staring, and I’m not about to be that weirdo who steals someone’s kid. Just another thing to add to my already slowly filling plate.

The Wolf of Water

raeanne

The small girl eyed the mare approaching her with a mixture of caution and hopefulness. The mare’s strange appearance was a little alarming but she did not seem to come with an intent to harm her. Perhaps this mare was approaching her because her mother had sent her. However, with the first words she spoke disappointment bloomed. Obviously not, how silly. Of course her mother hadn’t sent someone to find her. If she was concerned about her she would not have left her the first place. She would have woken her daughter and taken her with her. Or at least advised her to stay put. No, she knew without a doubt that Vivianne was not returning for her.

“I suppose I have been.”

Her small voice was sturdy, if not a little forlorn. After all she was still only a babe. Not meant to be alone in the world so soon. She shifted on her feet and her eyes flickered to the earthen floor beneath her before raising back to eye the strange mare with a tentative look.

“I don’t suppose I can come with you? I.. I don’t wanna be by myself..”

She shuffled awkwardly, somewhat uncomfortable admitting this to a complete stranger. Still it was the honest truth. She didn’t care where she went, she just didn’t want to be by herself. She craved companionship, a balm for the creeping loneliness.

vivianne x rigdon

Circinae

The little girl looks at me about the same way everyone does. I’ve grown so accustomed to it that it no longer bothers me. “Wear it like a suit of armor... “ My parents used to tell me, “... and it’ll become your shield.” I can still see the pride of my own father’s eyes every time he saw my green shape wiggle out from some rock ledge or another. It only reminds me of the worry in my mother’s eyes. Two sides of the same coin. “Oh.” I counter, feeling the tension rise between us. Am I supposed to feel any differently? I’ve heard about the gaze some mares experience the first time they see their babes, but this isn’t my get and she seems to be well aware of that also.

“Well …” I begin, glancing around us while the terrible emptiness of this place really comes crashing down around me. I’m seconds away from telling her no - the word is right there on the tip of my tongue, but it just doesn’t seem right. I sigh, turning back to look at her with a more focused stare. She’s certainly a gangly thing, all edges and no curves. The star on her forehead draws attention to her broad eyes, and I take them in as they plead with me. “What are you thinking, Circy?” I ask myself, and then I begin to think about what kind of monster would turn her away.

“Well to be honest with you I have no idea where we’d be headed, or even where we’d end up, but I think that traveling alone is more work than it’s cut out to be.” I consent, making it clear that my mind was settled. “I could use a lookout. What do you say? Will you help?” I ask, eyes intent on her smaller, much more worried face. I don’t want her thinking she’s a burden, and I certainly don’t want her moping all the time, so for now this is the best I can offer.

The Wolf of Water

raeanne

The fire-colored girl could sense the hesitation, either that or read it all over the face of the other mare. She shuffled her small feet a little but maintained her stance. The red girl wanted to say she wasn’t looking for another mother, just someone.. someone who hopefully would not abandon her. At least not until she could make it through the world alone. Certainly some day she would not need to dog the shadows of a stronger creature, surely some day she could take care of herself. Today just did not happen to be that day.

At first she thought she might turn her away. However, she read resignation in the eyes of the other and a hopeful little smile brightened in her eyes. She didn’t care that the other female didn’t have a home. They could find one together, or just travel. Raeanne really couldn’t be bothered with that fact. She was content in that moment knowing she would not be alone.

And then being given a job, even better. She wasn’t some useless newborn. She was a yearling. Old enough to be useful. Her eyes brightened even more and her face was all smiles.

Yes! I can definitely do that. I can help you. My name is Raeanne by the way. That’s..” her smile faded for a moment, “that’s the name my mom gave me. Her name is Vivianne and my dad.. I never met him. His name is Rigdon.

The little filly’s face became resolved, “I don’t miss her though. Let’s go somewhere.. I don’t want to be here anymore. If that’s okay.” Her face molded into a stubborn gaze as she pushed thoughts of her mother away. If Vivi didn’t need Raeanne, then Rae didn’t need her.

vivianne x rigdon

(OOC: She'll just tag alone wherever you go!)

Circinae

Whatever I said seems to have done the trick. The girl - Raeanne - seems to be perfectly capable of holding her own, regardless of the fact that she’s been dumped like yesterday’s trash here in this miserably quiet place. I shudder to think of how her night would’ve been, had I decided instead to leave. “Hey I’m all for it, this place gives me the creeps.” I tell her, shrugging off the uncomfortable weight of what’s transpired between us. “I will say this though -” I begin, turning about to follow the worn path that would lead us to the open arms of Beqanna and her creatures, “-You don’t have to miss your mom, but you shouldn’t forget her name. Or your dad’s. If it’s one thing I’m sure about, it’s that family ties can open up some strange doors.”

I wonder what sort of doors it would’ve opened for me in the old world. But that world - and that Circinae - are long gone now. This Circinae has a kiddo in tow, one that’s much sharper than I’d given her credit for. “Raeanne, huh?” I question, finding that I approve of the calling. It’s feminine with just a hint of an edge to it. At least we share a lot of vowels in common. “I’m Circinae. You can call me Circy though, if you want.” The path winds on and then we’re close to being back on the cusp of normal society. With each step, I feel a confidence begin to grow about the red filly. Maybe fate had a hand in this after all.

The mountains are directly West, the gathering fields directly North, but none of them seem to appeal to me at the moment. What I needed … no, what we both needed was a change of scenery. “How do you feel about hopping the river near the lake to the Northwest and doing some Kingdom sight-seeing?” I ask, tilting my head slightly as a wayward grin stretches over my lips. “I hear Taiga is nice this time of year.”

The Wolf of Water

ooc: They're going on a little journey! I'll tag you in the starter thread ASAP <3