• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth (Jinju, Ruan, Any)

Circinae

The entire trip had been much funner than I would’ve given it credit for. Raeanne was nothing if not agreeable and despite my earlier inhibitions about taking on a side-kick, I had to hand it to her - the girl was one tough cookie. I had expected her to do well through the first leg of the trip, where the land had been blessedly even, rolling hillocks. But the second half, through dense forest at the base of the mountains and forging a river? I had at least assumed she would contest me even a little bit. To my surprise, she seemed to flourish from the hardships.

A total diamond in the rough. It was hard to say exactly whether or not what I was feeling was emotional connection, but I knew for sure that Raeanne had gained my trust and my respect in the two short days our journey had taken. Whoever “Vivianne” had been, she really couldn’t have been all that intelligent if she let go of a daughter like Raeanne. But the past was in the past and the future was literally right in front of us so I figured it was time to get a move on.

“Rae-anne!” I call out to her in a sing-song voice, hoping it’ll rouse her to attention. “Sun’s up high enough I think. Time to check it out.” I say, turning around to face the depths of Taiga. I’m not sure what we’ll find here but I know it can’t be any worse than the Den, so I’m optimistic. We’d stayed close to the edge of the river overnight, warnings in my head ringing about what the Kingdoms of old had done to unknown intruders. I’d hoped that traveling in the daylight would make us less of a target, and more like the two ‘could-be’ sisters we actually looked like. “How’re you feeling?” I ask, turning my head back to look over her for signs of fatigue. 

If she lied, I wouldn’t be able to tell, but I’m hoping that by now her common sense would trump her need to seem invincible in my eyes. As concerned as I am about her welfare (and I am concerned for her welfare) I can’t help but let my natural instincts take hold. We were intruders now, even if our intent was harmless. As much as I wanted to put my faith in the better side of humanity, I was more realistic when it came to the way things worked in Beqanna. If things here got a bit too hairy, our options may be limited to escape - and I want Raeanne to be strong enough to run if the situation calls for it.

“Nice day out, too.” I offer, betraying nothing of my thoughts. The wolf still lingers, even if I ignore him.

The Wolf of Water

OOC: Sorry if I took a little too much liberty with your character, @[Raeanne] If you don't like it I can change it.

raeanne
    et fato, quod non scietur  

It had been a relief to leave the confines of the Den. While the place was meant to be welcoming and safe, it also felt claustrophobic. Her joy at leaving took her far and only in the past hour had she begun to weary of their travels. The thin, little legs that carried her had begun moving rather mechanically and instead of stopping occasionally to nose this or that she moved, head down behind her new companion. Until the other's voice roused her from her methodical plodding.

She gave a tired smile, "A little tired to be honest." And then not wanting Circinae to worry she gave herself a little shake and stepped forward with more enthusiasm. "But still ready to go!"

Her bright green eyes, a gift from her grandmother, gazed around the territory they had made there way in to. It seemed nice enough and she was mostly glad to not be walking, if only for a moment. She took another step forward her small nose quivered as she took in all the unfamiliar scents.

"Are we meeting someone here?" She took a guess based on the fact that the other mare was eyeing the surroundings carefully.

vivianne x rigdon

OOC: All good!
    Ruan
    Black and blacker, the two were up at dawn. He'd been awake and scouting nearby as he let her rest for a mite longer, never straying far from his treasure. What he found had creased his brow, though, so he'd immediately returned to her side. For a brief moment, he merely watched over her, cherishing this little daughter not of his blood. Nothing would ever harm her, he'd swear by it.

He smiled down at her warmly, wiping the concern from his expression as bright ruby eyes opened at his gentle nudge. "Hey," he said quietly, deep blue gaze meeting hers with an amused little tilt to his head. Velvet nose bent and swept across hers with familiar intimacy, and he breathed in her sweet scent. Ah, his baby.

"We have visitors," he paused, then with a glance in the distance, as if he knew exactly where she was, he added, "I think Reagan may be preoccupied. We must meet them at the border." His eyes returned to her, calm and solid. As residents of the land, and most especially of the Guardian's company, it fell to them to protect the people within. It was the way he saw it, anyway.

He gave her a last little nudge of encouragement, and turned. She was growing so quickly, it seemed, too quickly. But it lent her the ability to keep up with him, and he set off at a brisk pace, confident she'd not fall too far behind.

Large, black-tipped wings were pinned tightly to his side, head lowered like a hound on the hunt. Alert eyes took in his surroundings, though he knew where the newcomers were. He hadn't seen them, a challenging feat through all the dense forestry, but he'd scented them. Jinju followed much quieter than she had before, taking to the wolf ways like a natural-born talent as he strived to teach her everything he knew.

He slowed gradually as he neared them, the deep green of a forest sprite and her little red riding hood at her side. Purple-splattered ribs shifted sideways, masking the approach of his precious adopted girl until she was ready to join them. Uncle was what she called him, but she'd always be more than a niece to him.

Halting a good few paces, he unfurled his bird's appendages straight up like enormous sails, then resettled them at his sides. The woodland was too dense to use them as intended, and he often found them cramped and aching from being clutched so close to his body. Serene blue eyes met the gaze of the eldest, and he gave a small nod in greeting, his face carefully expressionless.

"Welcome," he rolled calmly, "May I be of assistance to you?" Until his magic would return and light his glacial eyes, they appeared dark and dull like a still and murky pond, staring out blandly from his charcoal face. An ear swiveled to keep track of his little Jinju, while his gaze remained on the foresty creature before him.

@[Jinju]

fuck all your dreams; they're not all they seem.

It would not be long ‘til visitors would come, he realised. He knew of at least one other band of horses who intended to take a land (the former Tundrans, joined with a few other kingdoms of old, to form something of a mega-kingdom). He knew that the land simply would simply not remain unexplored.

He smells them first, whiffling the scent of them through his sensitive tiger’s nose. He found himself slipping into this feline form more and more, moving through the dense forest with ease. He felt truly at home, for the first time in what felt like forever. And now, he moves through Taiga silently, a striped shadow once more.

They are somewhere near the border, although the borders are not well defined and Romek realises that he cares little for keeping them as a sharp rule. He slips from the underbrush quietly, shifting into his equine form as he does so, not wishing to worry the mare and the child (mother and daughter, perhaps, but they look nothing alike) who almost certainly pose no threat to anyone here.

He inclines his head towards Ruan and Jinju, before turning to face these visitors. He does not say welcome, for Ruan has already spoken.
    ”You both look tired. Come and drink from our streams, and eat our grass.” He was no diplomat by nature, and his golden eyes are possibly not as friendly as they could be, but he is still sincere. After all, their land is one of refuge and safety above all, and the forest is plentiful enough for all. ”And then we shall talk. I am Romek, one of the three leaders here.” and with that he falls silent and turns to lead them to the nearest stream.

Romek
    Ooooh, this was going to be loads of fun. For course, anything was fun in the mind of the young mare who, to others, seemed to have a few screws loose. Of course, that wasn't something she registered; she really didn't know if there was anything wrong with her or not. Either way, all she knew was that this was going to provide the entertainment she'd been looking for.

The mare had spent the day so far roaming throughout the territory, exploring, getting into all kinds of crazy situations involving the other creatures that lived here. Of course, horses were by far more interesting than the little forest animals, so when Iona picked up the scent of some of them gathering, she was all too eager to investigate.

She sprinted toward the border, her head held high as she spotted the group. Skidding to a stop as she arrived, the mare smiled at the horses who already lived here in the kingdom; Romek, Ruan, and Jinju, a little filly that Iona found quite adorable. Romek was in the middle of offering the two newcomers to come and eat some of the grass in their territory so they could regain their strength when Iona showed up.

The mare pranced around the two strangers before approaching Romek, standing beside him as she shifted her gaze between him and the females, "Hey Romek. Who are these guys? Are they new here? What are they here for?"
    Jinju
    It is his gentle nudge that makes her stir. Her eyes open slowly, only to be forced closed again as she yawns. Her gaze finds Ruan’s, questioning ruby eyes meeting blue ones. With the slight confusion – why had her uncle woken her up? – there also comes a smile, greeting him without words but most sincere feelings. Jinju reaches out to him upon his gentle touch, wanting to return the favour.

She moves to her feet as he looks away. No longer did she struggle to get up, nor did she had trouble to keep up with him. Jinju follows him without questioning his further motives, after all, he had explained why he had woken her already. Unlike before she follows him with a bit distance between them, allowing them both to move without accidentally crossing each other’s paths. No longer did uncle Ruan needed to keep her close at his side to shield her, which didn’t meant that she had started to dislike the comfort it offered her.

When his pace slows down, hers follows sync. Although she wasn’t able to meet his ‘level’ yet, she was learning. He intrigued her, so did his way of life and Jinju was eager to learn more. Just like aunt Reagan would teach her magic. Well, uncle and dad weren’t the right way to address her adoptive parents, the red eyed girl had yet to find the courage to start addressing them otherwise.

Within no time they reach the forest’s outer line. Even though her confidence has grown within the forest of the Taiga, it wasn’t yet the same for everything outside of her homeland. Yes, Jinju was curious, incredibly curious, but at the same time oh so shy. So she hides behind Ruan more than willingly, nestling herself at his side, underneath his massive wings, only slightly peaking at the newcomers from underneath his dark neck.

now don’t you understand…that I’m never changing who I am?
    She most certainly had been preoccupied.

Making the rounds of the forest, Taiga’s guardian had circumnavigated the borders of this land, familiarizing herself with the trees, the ground, the roots, and making her mark upon the magic of this world. She sought to gain the alliance of the flora and the fauna of this land to further her ability to protect it. To learn what it needed, and what it wanted, she went in search of answers and explored all this land had to give.

And it gave plenty. Those who lived here lived in a harmonious balance of love and growth and life and death, and the trees that made their strong roots here provided homes and shelter, as well as grew upon the graves of the dearly departed, to mark their lives with the greatness of their existence, no matter how short or mundane. All were equal here in the forest, all were important—all were loved—all were noted.

And thus, Reagan returned from her sojourn from the deep dark of the most central of the pines, the pathway bending to her, wrapping itself around her like it always did, and once again she took upon herself the greenish tinge of lichen and moss that grew upon her pelt, camouflaging her from the outside world, making her affinity one with the earth. The vines warped themselves into her mane and tail, and she looked like some sort of wild thing when she approached a small gathering at the entrance to the thicker parts of the forest. Romek was there, and Vida, and two others that she did not know, but the magic in her blood gave her their names. Circinae and Raeanne looked tired, as if they had traveled a long way, but Romek would see to their comfort. It was not within Reagan’s duty to be there in that capacity. She protected the forest, and all that resided within it—but she did not feed them. They would have to learn to do that for themselves.

Reagan would have moved on from this gathering—in as such that it did not concern her—except that her wolf and fire maiden were among the throng that had gathered around them. Reggie’s nostrils widened as she took in their heady scent, and moved alongside them, pushing herself against Ruan’s purple spotted hide silently marking him with her scent. She had changed much since returning to these worlds, she was still a woman in power at the end of the day—and some jealous habits were hard to break. She said nothing, but instead eyed them all, waiting to see what information could be gleaned from these strangers.

Circinae

If I had any inclination of what a gathering we’d stir up by coming here, I might have thought twice about our little ‘vacation’ to Taiga. I wasn’t really cut out for the social life, never had been. Things were different when you lived in a sea of sand and your best friends were your parents. It made you hard enough to build a castle around yourself, one where the walls were so high only loneliness remained inside - a great longing to ’belong’ matched with a fear of others so violent you could never hope to scale the monstrosity you built. And that’s where I was when they arrived, trying to wedge my foot into a crack so that I could be closer to Raeanne. “Not technically.” I tell her, but I know it won’t be long until someone does arrive.

They manifest so quickly after I fall silent that I’m afraid I’ve conjured them up from my subconscious. From the shade of the great trees a black figure makes his approach, stopping only to flex his wings and introduce himself. A smaller creature takes cover underneath one of the extra appendages, but it’s only a blur of inky pelt so I can’t be sure what it exactly is. “That depends.” I tell him, smiling softly before positioning myself besides Raeanne, letting my verdant nose tap her lightly upon the cheek. We were together, and that’s the way it would stay. I don’t get to finish though because we’re caught up with a few more additions in almost rapid-fire fashion. First is Romek, glowing from tip to tail in a way that fascinates me even more than his polite countenance. I can’t bring myself to look away from him, even when a curious little mahogany mare begins to circle around us.

I laugh softly at her antics, but my ears dip, cautious as ever. We’re easily outnumbered now, with only our backs to the nearby water as a means of retreat. “I’m Circinae, formerly a product of the Deserts, now a wanderer with my … well, this is Raeanne.” I summarize, not wanting to label the girl with anything she’d hate. I don’t know her well enough to claim her as my own, but I won’t leave her out. My gaze turns to the almost-black mare who enters last, silent enough to raise a red flag in my mind. She was untrusting of us. Best to keep my eye on her. “We’re sightseeing, that’s all. No reason to sound the alarms.”

The Wolf of Water

raeanne
    et fato, quod non scietur  

No sooner had Cirinae finished speaking then faces began to pop up around them. Rae was not used to such a gathering and she tried to shuffle subtly closer to the other mare.  The first stallion to approach them flared large wings and her eyes rounded in surprise.  She eyes him carefully taking note of his oddly blank eyes. Strange.

The next creature is another male, and by now Rae is firmly planted next to the other female. There is something about the masculine scent that is unsettling. In the far back corners of her mind she vaguely recalls no males dared step into the home her mother had her in. She just doesn’t know why.

The male’s voice is soothing enough though, despite its inherent gruffness. She finds herself almost willing to follow him but waits patiently for the next set of footsteps to reveal their owner. It’s a mare. Finally, another female. She practically vibrates with energy and Rae follows her bouncy steps as she flitters around them before settling.

It was then that the fiery colored girl notices another foal, perhaps close to her age beneath the wings of the male who first appeared. Thank goodness, she thinks. At least this place has more than just adults. She wasn’t sure she’d ever find someone else her age. Not that Circi wasn't good company.

Then the final member of the party approaches. This mare causes tingles of warning to run across Rae’s skin. She is not someone to be trifled with. Not that Rae had plans of trifling with anyone. Still she looks to Circinae for some reassurance and seeing as the other mare seems calm enough she remains steady where she stands.

Things have almost settled it seems, everyone in their places. Words have been exchanged, so the young filly gently prods her verdant companion. “I would like a drink, can we stay for awhile? She glances towards the sound of the gently rolling river before looking back at Circinae. Then glances at the other young filly who has stayed quiet against the stallion’s side. “You can call me Rae.. what’s your name?

vivianne x rigdon

Ruan
    Romek entered, with a silent greeting of acknowledgement to Ruan and Jinju, then took the reins to this gathering, as leaders do. He felt relieved of his duty, so to speak, now that control of the meeting had been deftly guided into the hands of someone more in charge of the lands.

He'd planned to work with Jinju, easing her in and building her self-security and confidence slowly. She would be a strong, fiery woman one day, but needed a steady hand to help her land on her feet after everything she'd been through. Far too much for such a young child.

But today would not be that day, it seemed, as another mare entered with a lively step and a little dance around the strangers. A small greeting of one parent and child to another was swiftly becoming quite the interest. It was a secure and peaceful place, the Taiga, and so all would come to greet the new arrivals.

He realized that he'd instinctually clutched Jinju tighter to his side at the addition of bodies, and very carefully released her from his grasp, still delicately shielding her from the mass of people. It was not a good place for her to start; he'd not throw her to the wolves without her own set of teeth first.

As his neck snaked down and nuzzled her gently in reassurance, he offered her a shelter in this with a quiet tone meant only for her. "Stay at my side, if you wish. I hadn't considered others would not be as busy as our Reagan," he chuckled softly.

He didn't offer they leave, though their jobs were done now. In truth, he would rather be away, but he wouldn't teach her to run from uncomfortable -or busy situations. Perhaps she would be familiar enough with everyone here to come out, maybe try to play with the other little one. He certainly wouldn't ask it of her if she did not wish it. He was only the guardian to the vibrant, independent creature she would become. Forcing her into anything would never happen.

At the brilliant light in his chest, he closed his eyes and smiled into Jinju's cheek. "Reagan," he breathed.

She was coming. And then she was here, at his side. Only the softening in his eyes belied the euphoria rushing through him like crashing waves of the sea. In an exchange of magic, a piece of her soul had been cradled within his own, and it flared to life with her so near. He held steady, only pressing into her side in greeting. He didn't have to say anything; she already knew how his heart raced at the sight of her.

His dull blue eyes stayed on Circanae as she spoke, probably to the leader more than him, but with Romek present, his only thought was for the family at his side. His gaze dropped to the red daughter as she addressed his Jinju, and with a smile playing at the corner of his lips he peeled his wing back just a little, a silent invitation if his firechild wished to join the fray of people.