• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

As the Winds Blow, any
    as the winds blow, so will I know...
    He was nothing short of ecstatic when Naga had informed him that the Amazons had found a new home. They would always be Amazons in heart, but they would now be known as the sisterhood of Nerine. A coast line, she had told him. He couldn't wait to see it. He knew it wouldn't be the Jungle, for nothing could ever truly replace Her. Although perhaps Nerine would be just as good. Maybe better; a tentative thought.

The panther queen- wow, what an accomplishment for her. The bay roan hadn't set eyes upon Naga since she was not but a filly-cub, but even so she was like a little sister to him. He couldn't be more proud that she had risen to this status after all these years. As their mother- his by blood, hers by choice- would be. The very thought tugged the edges of his blackish lips upward. He had sensed from Naga that there were some tensions that surfaced upon her taking the crown, but really, doesn't this typically happen when a new ruler is placed? Especially a young ruler? And if he was to be honest, he couldn't help thinking that if there was another sister who felt more qualified and more suitable, then she should have stood up and taken it herself. As Naga had done. Her bravery and courage in doing so gave the roan stallion the faith she deserved that she would prove herself. If she could do so, then the tensions within the herd would eventually fade. But Simeon would stand beside her, and he knew there were other sisters that would do the same. Truly a queen could only be successful with the aid of her queendom, so support is pertinent. Scorch had believed Naga had the potential, and Sim was determined to see that she reached it.

The panther queen had imparted him directions to the coast from where he had reunited with her in the Forest, and he had eagerly set foot on the path. It was quite a distance to travel, but Simeon- always the wanderer- had welcomed the trek. It gave him time to think. About what was, what is and what will be. He wondered what his place would be in this new Coastal home. Clearly he wasn't a Maiden, he chuckled to himself. Would the new sisterhood welcome him as a brother once again? As he had been all those years in the Before. He couldn't help but feel a little anxious to find out. Naga had ensured him welcome to her- their, the sisters'- home. But he wondered where his place would be.

For the first time in.. well, probably forever, Simeon felt a longing for roots. For permanence. For a chance to show his loyalty and passion. For family. It had always been a part of him, but the draw to wander had always been too strong, stemming from deep in his soul and carrying him to a great many places. The difference now was that he had taken the fact he could return any time he'd wanted for granted. And now the home he'd known was gone. He, nor any of them, would be able to return. There is a huge loss inside him, the kind that was felt when the thing lost was gone forever. He does mourn, but he is also an optimist. Just because there was change, didn't mean it had to be a bad thing.

The journey had taken him the better part of a day and a half, and he'd trekked through the night. He wasn't even close to tired, too restless to get to his destination. The bay roan stallion came to a high point of a hill where, at its peak, he could see the dawning sun rising over the ocean's horizon. The sunrise painted a beautiful picture across the sky, reflected scenically upon the water. The view from where he stood was breathtaking. He could see he sandy beach line, the rocks, higher up there was grass, and a voluminous forest that stretched up all the way to where he was. There were no words he could think of to properly describe it. Gorgeous. Wonderful. Damn near perfect.

He took in a deep breath, his bicolored eyes closing as he savored the scent on the warming breeze. Salty mixed with the bittersweet smell of whatever kinds of trees there were below him. This was theirs. Gifted to them- no, built specifically for them by Beqanna herself when Naga led their group up the Mountain to make their plea. Well, she did a mighty fine job, and Simeon felt his heart swell with joy and love for it already. With his next exhale, he felt adrenaline beginning to rush through him. He couldn't wait any longer. Simeon made his way down from the heights he stood upon, keeping his pace steady and collected as he found his way through the forest. He revelled in the similarities to the Jungle, with the trees dense in more areas than they are sparse. It was less humid here, but still warm and the air was moist. There were no howling monkeys, no brightly colored parrots, probably no jaguars, but the place was not without its own wildlife.

The sun had risen more toward the middle of the sky when he made it down the jaggedy cliffs and his hooves sank into the sand. He was not unfamiliar with the feeling of walking through the soft structure, but it was different this time. Better. His. Not his alone, obviously, but his all the same. Naga had described the Coast, but he'd never imagined this. Filled with more energy than he had in a while, his heart thrummed and his muscled ached. It was a very familiar sensation, seeking release. Eyes bright, he gave a quick scan to see that no one seemed to be awake just yet. The coast was clear, pun intended. And so he took his chance.

With a deep nicker that bubbled over into a whinny, he reared and then catapulted himself into motion. He easily skipped over all the gaits and into a run, hooves stabbing into the sand, powerful legs thrumming. He's about average size, but stout and full of muscles, lean and fit. Those muscles ripple as they contract and release. His broad neck pumped, his head held up. This was exactly what he needed. Releasing his energy, careless and free, wild as the day is long. He grunted as he kicked his heels up in a playful buck, his frosted black tail whipping upward. Equally frosted mane tapped his nape with every stride as he galloped down the coast, following the shoreline and splashing when the tide rolled in.

He felt like he could run this forever but eventually he did come to a stop facing outward, tail high and neck arched. Nostrils flared as he panted a bit from the exertion, not tired in the least, only lightly winded. A smile was firmly pasted on his maw as he stood on a dune, listening to the waves lick the shore. It was soothing to see and hear, so he let it relax him. And his goofy grin slowly settled into a pleasant expression and his breathing returned to normal. He couldn't imagine feeling anything better than he did at that moment, cocking a hind limb and briefly licking his lips, simply enjoying the scenery before him.
    as the grasses grow, so will I go…
    as far as the skies will take me nothing can break me…
    as the winds blow
    She is still wearing the coral hue that she had put on for Lagertha, the soft pink accented by the darker primitive markings (mauve leg barring, dorsal stripe, and shoulder bars), when she comes across the stallion. He is drawing to a halt in the sand when she emerges from the cave mouth where she'd been watching the sea.

"You look happy," she says to him with a smile that is alluring only because it is on the pretty face of a lovely mare, and not for any intentional purpose. She turns her head to look out at the sea, watching the grey-green waves as they crest white and crash on the cool grey sand. "You just missed seeing the dolphins though; they came quite close to the shoreline."

There is something familiar about the bay stallion, some resemblance to someone that she had met before. She cannot quite put her hoof on it - and she has met so many horses - so she does not let it bother her.

"My name's Djinni. What's yours?' She asks.
    D J I N N I
    genie | rose gold tobiano dun | trickster
    He was admiring the play on colors in the sky and the rippled replication on the sea mixed in with its own hues. His mismatched gaze followed one row of waves as it approached the shore, capping and rolling before they slid onto the greyish sand. He began to think that the beach may just become one of his favorite places. Even in all the sights he had ever seen. It was so peaceful at the moment, and he enjoyed the quiet.

Moments later, soft footfall in the sand behind him reached his ears, followed by a feminine voice. "You look happy." Bay roan stallion turned his head to view the mare, and he almost did a double-take at her appearance. She was very lovely, with shades of pink covering her entire body with darker pink primitive markings. The only indication of his surprise was a slight widening of his eyes, easily missed. Only in Beqanna, he thought with affectionate amusement. He returned her smile nonetheless, and nodded to her in greeting. "I am happy." He validated her observation pleasantly. "It is the beginning of a beautiful day. And even better now." His voice was deep and smooth, lightly accented with Italian influence. That which he had taken from his father. His dual colored gaze- the left brown, the other green- slid from her back out to the ocean. It was better now. Now that he had arrived here, and now he had company to enjoy it with. He didn't mean it necessarily flirtatiously, but he did mean it.

She spoke of the dolphins showing themselves only moments before he arrived and he 'tsked', though his easy smile did not fade. "That certainly would have been a sight to see. Do they do that often? I would surely like to see them. Perhaps I may be given another chance." He kept his voice low, deepening his baritone, wanting not to disturb the serenity of the scene around them. One ear was pointed to her, the other flicked between the white noise of the seashore and the brustling of the warm breeze playing through the trees, whistling through the caves and rocky cliffs. Birds sang in the distance, adding to the music of it all.

She introduced herself then, and he turned to her a bit more, basically only taking a step or two with his hinds. He stood now at an obtuse angle to her, scarred haunches facing more away. This way he could better divide his attention between her and their surroundings. He smiled at her, this time dipping his head respectfully. "Buongiorno, Djinni. It is good to meet you. I am Simeon." He let a heartbeat or two pass before he asked. "Have you been with the sisterhood long?"
    Though Djinni has seen oceans before, she likes this one the best.

It is no tropical paradise of white sand beaches and waving palms, but the grey-green water and the cool granite sand are paradise enough for the tobiano mare. Her djinn had found it satisfactory enough to call home, and so Djinni does too. It is strange, she thinks, to have a home. She had lived in the Chamber far longer than she has lived her, but that pine forested mountainside was never truly home.

The bay stallion replied that he is happy, and Djinni smiles in response. It is good, she thinks, to have a friendly face here. Too many of them are dour and uncompromising, stewing with their own personal troubles and the dramatic intrigue that seems to follow the Sisterhood wherever they settle.

"I suppose the answer to that depends on what you mean by being with the Sisterhood. I've been here since Beqanna gave us the coast, but I've heard there were been pledging ceremonies when the Sisterhood lived in the Jungle, and none of those have happened in the year since we arrived. If that matters, I suppose I'm not with them yet at all."

And she might not be, she doesn't add. Djinni likes the sea, and she is fond of a few of the individual women, but a few of the things that have been asked of them infringe a little far of the dainty mare's sense of individuality. Sacrifice her womb for the realm? Triple their numbers as quickly as possible with no quality control? No, perhaps she might live with the sisterhood and be a woman alone.

"What about you, Simeon? Are you a member of the sisterhood" A teasing smile plays over her face - they both know that he has a few too many bits to belong to a gaggle of women. Perhaps he is the lover of one of the women, or even a brother or son.
    D J I N N I
    A bit of a sheepish grin slowly played across his lips as she spoke, and he ducked his head a little with a light chuckle. "A poorly phrased question, it seems." He took a moment to breath deep the salty air before he returned his gaze to her. The scent of the place had settled into the mare's pelt, adding to the overall aura of confidence and security she carried with her. It had been easy for him to come to the conclusion she had lived here for some time now, thus assuming her to be a Sister. A phrase he learned along his journeys came to mind, then: 'to assume makes an ass out of you and me.' The reminder brought back his easy smile, a bit more amused this time. "I don't presume to know for sure, amica, but I would say that with this great change in Beqanna, perhaps it's time for a change in customs?" The question is more or less rhetoric, more a gentle suggestion of an idle thought he had. The stallion sought her face for a reaction before he idly slid his gaze back to the water, sweeping over the horizon. "I would like to think that even without a ritual, if enough of your time has been spent here and this is where your loyalties lie, then you are enough to be called a Sister in my eyes. But what do I know?" He rolled his shoulders with his last question, smirking slightly with amusement.

It grew wider as he heard her next question, and the roan couldn't stop the bubble of laughter that spilled out from him, deep and rumbly. Without thinking about it, he reached over and 'booped' her neck (low, toward the shoulder) with his muzzle in friendly affection. Pulling back again, bicolored eyes found her lovely face once more, catching the teasing expression that seemed to cause a twinkle in her eye and her lips to be a bit crooked. He sobered his laughter quickly, but the amusement doesn't leave him. "I suppose not, Djinni. I did live in the Jungle for pretty much my whole life, though I have been away a long time. When last I was there, my mother was queen." His heart swelled when he spoke of her, his beloved mother. Sim missed her, and his father, very much. A twinge of sadness would be evident only by the slightest change in his eyes, detracting a bit from his overall happy expression. But he tried not to linger on the thought of them too much at this moment, not wanting to bring down their conversation. "Perhaps you knew her? She was Scorch. Hestoni was her mate, and my father." And really, he would be surprised if she hadn't. Sim was sure there weren't many alive who didn't at least know of the hairless and fiery woman. Now, moreover, the stallion watched the mare's face, gauging her response to his revelation of his lineage.
    Tales of the frozen tundra of the brotherhood and the humid jungle of the sisterhood had never especially intrigued Djinni as a child the way they had some of her younger siblings. Neither habitat seemed especially formiddable, and to a girl growing up in a kingdom without gender divisions, the purpose of splitting away had seemed pointless and futile. The modern kingdoms did not hold up to the tales of old; the Tundra allowed women in thier ranks and the Jungle had men wandering freely between the vines.

There is something to be said for tradition and for the accuracy of a name, and the grullo mare has always been fond of accuracy.

"Or perhaps it's time for a return to the oldest ways." She replies with an equally amicable tone, "Perhaps
    Beqanna returned because things had changed a little too much."

The tension in the air has been present since her arrival at the beach, and while she hasn't yet named it, there is a tipping point for everything, and the Sisterhood is inching closer with each passing day.

But is not in the mood for tension, she is in the mood for company. So Djinni nods agreeably when Simeon says that rituals are not more important than time and loyalty, and returns the amused brush with one of her own. His reply - that his mother had ruled here - is in line with her suspicions, and she is not surprised that he has come back. Being unfamiliar with the monarchs of late, she doesn't expect to recognize the name of his mother, but something makes her pause.

"I didn't know your mother, no" Replies the grullo mare, "But I did know her mother."

To most of Beqanna, that would mean the Djinni was close with Echion, yet another Jungle Queen. But Djinni knows the truth that Echion had kept from her children for the longest time - that they were not her children after all, and that she had stolen them away from Djinn's childhood friend. Djinni had been the one to tell Katriel, to break the news that Tivona and Rharian were not the pied children she had birthed, but rather the changelings passed to her in the cover of darkness. Echion had stolen away Scorch and Crito, and their lives had been forever changed.

But enough history. She'd content to leave her answer as it is - though she cannot help but wonder if Scorch aad Crito had ever shared their heritage with their own children. She's heard Crito went to the Tundra eventually - a fitting descendent of his father.
    D J I N N I