• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

my feet will never touch the ground [all kingdom]
    Exclamation 
    She is tired. She is so, so tired. She understands, now, why her father retired so early (why he shoved the throne onto her young shoulders in a selfish effort to save himself). In some ways, she’s angry at him for doing such a thing. In other ways, she’s glad he did. She has been taught and taught from her situation, she has grown strong under the weight of the crown, she has become who she is today because of the youngness of her age when she became queen.

But she cannot deny how tired she is. She feels years older than her actual age. Her bones ache long before they should, her mind struggles to focus, and her heart sighs. She loves the Gates, that is something she will always love no matter how tired she feels or how old she gets, but the crown is getting too heavy to bear and she struggles under the weight of it. She is no longer worthy.

So she beckons them, whoever they may be, from the hidden corners of the Gates to their magnificent Mother Tree. She knows of the recent activity at the edges of her kingdom, but she’s too tired to engage in the actions. If that is proof enough of her worthlessness, she doesn’t know what is. The flower crown atop her head continues to thrive, but the queen can sense their willingness to move on to a different head.

“Hello. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Camelia.” Just like her father, she hasn’t thrown around her true title. Her name is Camelia, not Queen of the Gates, and she prefers it that way. “It is time the crown of the Gates is passed on to someone else.” She doesn’t look at Mast (she knows he would have wanted to be informed of her decision, but she could not bring herself to talk to him; she also knows he will be shocked, for he knows how much she adores the Gates and its people). “I’m afraid I don’t know my kingdom members as much as I would like to. So I would like to leave the voting and nominating up to you. Whoever gets the most votes will become queen or king of the Gates. Or, if you so desire, the Gates can be a kingdom-led sort of kingdom, where you can all work together to rule the kingdom or perhaps instate a council. Whatever your decision, I will support and help the winner to my fullest capability.”

Which, at this rate, isn’t very much.

Ever since Jason’s return he had been waiting to meet the elusive queen. He knew that one existed, but her presence had felt absent in the weeks he had wandered the land. It was a disappointment for him to know that a queen he couldn’t find was keeping the barren kingdom. Jason did take into account the fact that he was new. He had watched over the Gates when his son ruled, when Magdala and Parvati ruled, but that had been almost a century beforehand. The Gates had grown and changed, and Jason had been just as absent as the queen felt now.

The sun was shining yet the day felt abnormally bleak when he heard the call from the queen. He almost didn’t believe his own ears. He was finally going to get his chance to meet the queen nose to nose. Jason quickly rose to the beckoning and swiftly made his way to the gathering spot. He was the first to reach her, and upon seeing the dunskin mare he bowed his head in reverence. He was initially surprised by her youth, but upon further thought he recalled that the queens he had known of the Gates were also young when they took rule.

In time more came, and Camelia addressed them. The queen mare had decided to abdicate her throne and pass her position onto another. Jason felt his heart skip a beat. The last thing this kingdom needed was more change- he could sense that it was barely being held together by sticks and palms. ”Camelia, My name is Jason” He spoke aloud, but directed himself initially toward the queen. ”I was a member of the Gates years ago, and I have returned to devote my full service to it.” This time he directed his speech to the crowd- it was time no one considered him a visitor. ”If I may be so bold as to say that a monarchy is what this kingdom needs. We need a leader who will gather more members and support those already here. I have seen Beqanna with councils and they typically do not work since there is no one to take direct responsibility.”
    jason

{you remind me of the babe}
    Half of the mare was covered in mud, some dried and crusty and some still wet, clinging to her pelt in soggy clumps. Stuck to her mane and tail were strings of grass and twigs, and from the knees down her legs were soaking wet and slimy with algae. Voudou was new to the area, which left much to explore, and explore she had. Unfortunately the mare had wandered a bit too close to a spring she had found bubbling up from the ground, and before she knew it she was chest deep in mud before hitting solid ground beneath. It was nearly ten minutes before Voudou had managed to crawl out from the sludge and she now found herself standing in a few inches of murky, brown-green water.

Her plan was to head over towards the lake she had first been introduced to by Jason, there she could clean herself up and return to her former glory. It was a good plan until she heard something she had not heard before. Jason had described it to her, and she knew she should be somewhere but where?? Oh! It was that silly tree in the middle of the place! A smug grin spread across her maw, as if she was awarding herself for remembering such a simple thing, even though she couldn't remember the name of the damn tree. Such things didn't bother her. Voudou broke into a trot, disregarding her filthy appearance. That could be fixed later. For now she wanted to meet the one labelled the queen of her new home. What a queen she had been too, Voudou had yet to meet her, or even hear anything about her.

Then again, Voudou had yet to meet anyone really. It didn't bother her too much, she always knew where to find Jason and it felt like she was living in her own little world when he wasn't around. Nobody was ever around to prod into her life, how perfect.

Soon she arrived, and saw Jason already standing around, as well as the mare she assumed to be queen. Though part of her wanted to stand near the blue stud, Voudou moved around him and left enough space for 3 or 4 horses between them. She was too stubborn to spend too much time with or near him, whether she wanted to be near him or not.

Voudou daydreamed while she waited around for the queen to do or say something. After what seemed like an eternity she finally addressed the small group. What? Here Voudou had only just met this mare and she was giving up her spot as queen? Such is life she supposed. Of course Jason spoke up immediately, voicing his opinion against at least some of what the queen suggested. Frankly Voudou didn't care what happened to this place so long as she could keep wandering aimlessly around. Voudou, unlike Jason, was not so devoted to this land. If even for an instant something here disappointed her she would leave rather than try to fix it. She knew she would always be able to find a home, whether here, the Chamber or elsewhere. Why tie yourself down to one home?

At Jason's statement she took half a step back, not wishing at all to be involved in the politics of the matter at hand.
    tags herd, 559 words.
    notes, n/a.
    fiasko
    She freezes in surprise when she hears the call. She almost can’t believe for a moment - the Gates has been quiet for so long. But once she gets over her initial shock, she springs into action. Moving at a brisk trot, she finds the meeting in a matter of minutes. After all, in a kingdom as quiet as the Gates, even a small gathering of horses stands out.

She smiles nervously to those gathered, and takes up a place at the back of the group. She only recognizes two of the three horses here - Camelia and Jason - neither of whom she knows very well. Despite her unfamiliarity however, she can tell that something is going on. There is a serious air to the gathering, and the look on Camelia’s face … she’s having trouble reading it.

Her ears flick forward anxiously when Camelia finally begins. And as her adoptive sister continues to speak, her single eye widens in shock. She’s stepping down? What?! She stands, frozen for a moment, replaying the words in her mind. Camelia is leaving in the throne, and looking for a replacement. Who on earth would be able to replace her?

Even though she does not know Camelia well, and even though the dun mare has been a quiet queen, Fiasko still considers her family. And a good queen. Yes, she may have been inactive, but so has everyone else in the kingdom.

She fumbles over her tongue, finally trying to add her voice to the mix. “Who … who do we even have that can take the throne?” She doubts that Kaelie and Finnley would want it back. Jason is new, along with the black mare that she does not know. And she, Mast, and Rocinante have all been relatively inactive. Who is there that can even step up to fill Camelia’s shoes?

i'm still waiting for the world to end

So, I wouldn't mind Fiasko getting the throne. I feel that once she got over the initial shock, the position would force her to step up and would be great for character building for her (and I'm done practicum in two days, so I would have the time to be active). Only problem is ... it wouldn't even cross her mind that she could be queen. xD Anyone feel like suggesting it? Otherwise, Evie had the suggestion that Cam can plant the idea in her mind. Smile (Unless someone else actually wants the throne!)

come away o' human child

to the waters and the wild

I know the call of my daughter well, but there’s exhaustion in it now, and I cannot blame her. Ruling this kingdom had been a huge challenge when Finnley and I had ruled together, and Camelia had worn the crown alone all these years. I cannot imagine how impossible a task that had been, really. I make my way over to the group, having spent little to no time outside the shelter of the mother tree lately.

Finnley had been largely absent as of late, and I didn’t blame him, but there was little else in my life that I bothered with. Him and my children. Despite my title, I rarely had anything to do with the politics of Beqanna but kept it simply to help Camelia when she asked.

Now though, her announcement is no surprise, and I do not blame her. There are others around, most of whom I don’t know, but I make my way to the front where Camelia stands to give her a gentle nudge. She is my child first and foremost, and I do not care what she chooses to do with the crown. Some speak, none asking for the throne though perhaps one hinting at it.

Part of me wants to sigh. Still, despite the years of running from power and leadership, I find myself the one to lead. Not to take the throne – I have no desire for it, and would fail this kingdom. But rather to ask the question that no one seems to be willing to ask. “I’m Kaelie, the current Duchess of the Gates. I will resign that title once a new monarch is chosen,” I say, not wanting them to think that I plan to stay around as an absentee Duchess. I won’t protest having the last of my titles stripped away. I simply want to be Kaelie.

“I agree that monarchy works best in Beqanna, but I would suggest two monarchs. This kingdom needs more attention than one horse is likely able to give it alone. Are there any interested in the throne, or do we need to open this kingdom up to Beqanna as the Deserts did?” She looks at the three that stand here, two that she hardly knows though at least one that seems likely to step up. And then Fiasko, who has been here for her whole life, who knows the kingdom well. But I’m not sure if she wants a crown on her head, my quiet little girl. I can’t ask it of her, though I give her a long and questioning look should she want consider it.

kaelie

with a faery hand in hand

character reference here  | character info here

There had been a subtle change in his queen. It was as easy to miss as the passage of seasons, but it was there. An aura of sadness clung to her like fog, a noxious fog that made even his lungs contract. When she had taken the throne she had been young and carefree, a bright spot in an otherwise darkened world. But now, it seemed, she had lost some of that glow, faded perhaps into the mundane of the background. It hurt his heart to see hers so torn and broken, and God knows he would have taken that pain from her if such a thing was possible. But he was no magician despite being born by a magicians whims. No, he was just a simple horse, but with a love in his heart bigger than even himself.

She calls them and he cannot help the sinking of his heart. Her voice lacks that luster that he’d once fallen so deeply in love with and he cannot help but sigh. Wearing a crown had clearly taken its toll on his darling. But he treks towards her call, placing a smile on his mouth for her benefit more than anything. The gray stallion isn’t the first to arrive, or even the second. But he catches his queens words and though they pained his ears to hear them, a part of him was relieved. He didn’t love her because she was royalty: he loved her because she was, well, Camelia. He recognizes all but one of the gathered faces, and for a moment he is ashamed of himself. He should know all of the members here. Perhaps they had all fed subconsciously off of their queens recent, downcast demeanor. But he shakes it off, clearing his throat and stepping from the group. “Hello everyone. For those who don’t know, I’m Mast.” he says, trying to keep his voice from shaking. He knew, deep down, what needed to be done. He also knew, or at least thought, that he had the right stuff to do it. “I’ve lived here my whole life. This kingdom and its members gave me light in a very dark place, and to them, I owe my debt and my eternal gratitude.” He continues on, noticing that his voice is getting stronger as the pride in his chest swells. “Because of that, I offer myself to you all, if you would have me. I don’t know everything there is to know about running a kingdom; in fact, I know very little. But I’m willing to learn all that there is to learn.” He falls quiet now, a gentle if not nervous smile on his mouth. His eyes sweep them all, but they land and stay on Camelia.

mast

be my asleep at last

ooc - i don't know what the heck just came over him! o.O

They arrived, one by one, and as they did Jason watched carefully. First was Voudou, the mare he cared deeply for. He was glad to see her, glad that she felt comfortable enough to be apart of the kingdom. Although Jason loved the Gates his heart was growing fond of the black mare and choosing between them would be quite a challenge. Voudou arrived and planted herself down ways from Jason. He watched her, looked at her and sighed at the distance. They couldn’t be further apart. With both of them being stubborn (she more than he- he would claim) it pulled at them, but Jason would mend it even if it were simply by taking a small half step in her direction. ”Thanks for coming” He whispered to her.

Next was Fiasko, another mare that Jason had grown to like. Even amongst the absent nature of the kingdom members Fiasko had been amongst many meetings that Jason had. She may have looked modest, but Jason saw potential within her. She addressed the group with uncertainty as to who could claim the crown. Her, perhaps, Jason thought for he would surely not want such a responsibility. The Duchess came and spoke after Fiasko, and Jason nodded along. She agreed with what he had said and even suggested that two monarchs could be a solution. She then spoke of something the Deserts did. Jason instinctively huffed- they were not the Deserts, the Gates had to be protected. The light kingdom had always been vulnerable to wayward rulers and intruders, opening it up may just bring more chaos.

Lastly Mast, a stallion Jason had previously met, stood up and spoke. The stallion spoke with boisterous power and went onto say that he believed he would make a good king. Jason didn’t know much of Mast, nothing more than what he had just shared but Jason did know that the young one wasn’t much more around than the current queen. He had seen Mast before the meeting, which was a mark in his favor, but something didn’t feel right.

”I think…” He paused. ”No, I believe Fiasko would make a good queen.” His voice grew louder, and he straightened from his slump. ”And I’d be willing to help her.” Not as king- no no, but as a supportive member. Fiasko had his vote.

OOC: So back when Jason was a member there wasn’t the rule about no magic in unmagical kingdoms so he is totally unaware of the reason his magic is weakening is due to his presence in the Gates. Technically after 3 months his magic will be gone until he leaves- so that will be August. Which means he may not realize this for quite sometime. I’m not sure how he will take it when he realizes this, but it shall be interesting xD but as for now he is committed to the Gates ---And sorry for skipping I just feel like this needs to move along
    jason
    fiasko
    A huge crooked smile crosses her face when Kaelie joins the meeting. It’s been some time since she last spoke with her adoptive mother, and she’s been missing her presence. Unfortunately, now is not really the time for catch ups - she will have to track down Kaelie later. At the moment however, there are far more pressing concerns.

Kaelie mentions her support for keeping the monarchy, and Fiasko nods in agreement. Though she has not lived through a council, she does not think that the Gates should take a chance on a system of government that has proven to be weak in the past (and she has no reason to question Jason’s judgement on that point). The Gates has been weak enough on its own lately, without them putting its activity into more danger.

Another familiar scent reachers her nose, and she turns, glad to see that Mast has joined their gathering. She doesn’t know the grey stallion well, having only spoken to him in person once, but he is another adoptive child of Kaelie and Finnley, and she considers him family.

She is surprised however when he steps forward to offer himself as king. Her eyes widen, and she finds herself suddenly unsure of what to say. She feels she shouldn’t be entirely surprised though - he might not be of their blood, but he is still a child of Kaelie and Finnley after all. And this way at least, they are one monarch down. But Kaelie had suggested two, and Fiasko thinks she’s right. The throne had been too much for Camelia on her own - perhaps it would be an easier burden if two horses were to share it.

Jason speaks up again and her eye turns to look at him, knowing that what he has to say will likely be of import. She’s completely unprepared however for the words that do come out of his mouth. “Wha …?” She couldn’t be queen. She’s too inexperienced, too ugly (what foreign diplomat would look upon her face with favour?), too unpractised. She wouldn’t do a good job. Or would she …

She pauses for a moment.

Could she do this? She’s a hard worker, when she doesn’t let her fear get the best of her. And she wants the best for the Gates. She could try … she could repay Finnley and Kaelie for all that they’ve done for her …

No, she couldn’t. She would do a horrible job.

But wait, if she did a horrible job, what’s the worst that could really happen? The Gates would only be in the same position it is now …

The idea takes hold, fast and strong, in a way that doesn’t make any sense to her. It feels like … a possibility. Like she could do this. And somewhere, deep inside, she finds a feeling that she had not expected at all. She wants this. She wants to try.

“I …” She straightens, pulling herself up to her full height. A strange calm comes over her. “I would be honoured, if you would have me.” It’s strange to hear the words, even though they are coming out of her own mouth. “I may be inexperienced, but I will do my utmost to help this kingdom.” And then she falls silent. It’s up to them now. Will they take a chance on her?

i'm still waiting for the world to end