• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

So just burn baby, burn baby burn! - Ruan
    Jinju
    Ruan had commented on how fast she had been growing, jokingly of course, but he would have to admit that she had even grown taller. By now her hindquarters stood slightly higher than her withers, but it was nothing that wouldn’t be corrected by time. Over time Jinju had learned to venter off further and further away from her parents, yes parents, she was finally ready to refer to Ruan and Reagan as that. The anxiety had never left her, but the red eyed girl was aware of the fact that one day she would have to go on without them. Well, not really without, but not glued to their hips.

The Taiga had become her home quite a while ago already and if nothing major would happen, Jinju was sure that she would stay here. Everybody had been nothing but kind to her, even though she had been hesitant while meeting them. She now felt comfortable around familiar faces, but none of them could match up to either Ruan or Reagan. After all, they were the first one she had opened up to in this new world. They hadn’t left her, even promised to never leave her, and finally Jinju was ready to believe it. Before she wanted to, but her anxiety simply didn’t let her.

As she snuck through the Taiga her head was lowered towards the ground, ears alert and ready for any sounds. Her movements were slow, calculated even, trying to creep up to Ruan. She knew he was so much better at this than her, but that didn’t stop her from trying. Jinju really tried to put everything he had learned her into practise, being as silent as possible, before jumping up out of her hiding place. ”Gotcha!”

@[Ruan]
    Just some quick words before class <3

now don’t you understand…that I’m never changing who I am?
    There was this moment that wandered round Reggies mind. She was always restless, just like the not-so-small filly that was lurking through the forest, learning her powers’ threshold. As Jinju grew older, the sparks that she left behind as she walked showed Reagan that she was ready for learning just exactly who she was. Reagan had ventured up the mountain and had taken her time scoping out the world of the Taiga. Now at one with the forest, her belly broiling with the life that was deep inside her—Ruan’s love had seen to that—Reagan had returned to the land of the living, and was at once ready and able to begin the magic lessons that had been so promised an age ago. But for now, a family game of hide and go seek.

Sparks danced around Jinju, and though the inky girl tried to hide, she did not blend with the shadows as she would have perhaps liked. The fire fairies continued to follow her around, and Reagan’s own powers had made her tiny enough to fly up in the air as one of them—a little green sprite that had looked love along the lichens and mosses of the forest. Reggie, even in her miniscule size, kept a watchful eye on Jinju as she tried to be sneaky, looking for her ‘aunt’ and ‘uncle’—though in her heart, Reagan knew that Jinju saw her as a mother. A beautiful quirky little smile toyed on Jinju’s lips as she jumped out and called “GOTCHA!”, but there was nobody there. Instead, with the twinkling noise of a wind chime, Reagan fell down out of the sky and instead landed squarely on her beautiful little girl’s nose, a smile mirroring the one on the girl’s face, her voice squeaky from being so small.

“Booped your nose – I think I have you, my love, and not the other way around. Though I do not know where Ruan is…”
    Ruan
    He watched his girl jump out at him, or where she thought he'd been. She was getting better at her stealth, learning so quickly the little tips he'd begun sharing as they traveled together to and from the meadow and field. Such a quick study.

A tiny little Reggie alighted on her nose, green and grinning. He chuckled and made his way down the hill to them, weaving quietly through the trees. His girls were such treasures. Seeing them play together warmed his heart, gave him all those fuzzy feelings that seemed to be a daily occurrence in their peaceful lives. A shadow crossed his face briefly. It wouldn't always be so easy for them.

They needed to prepare her.

He came around from behind Jinju and nipped at her rump, a little harder than he had before. She was bigger, stronger. She could handle it. He felt tense and his brow was creased in a thoughtful frown. It helped that Reggie was here, it eased him a little, but he couldn't completely dislodge that heavy sense of something bearing down on him.

"You're doing well. You pay attention to the smells around you, that's very good." He moved up to her side and touched his muzzle to her gently. What he wouldn't do to keep her safe. He hoped Reagan could teach her to protect herself with her magic.

A mischievous smile slid in place. "Hmm, you seem to have a pesky little insect on your nose, though." He snaked out and clacked his teeth at the beautiful vermin.

Jinju
    Before the sound of her ‘battle cry’ can die away, she already comes to the conclusion that Ruan is gone. For a moment Jinju can only stand still, blinking her eyes as she stares at the spot dumbfound. She was sure he had been here when she had jumped up, she had made sure of it, and now, now he was gone. Jinju was ready to part her lips, to call out for him questioningly, when something green lands on her nose.

It must have been quite a sight, ruby eyes focussing on the tiny green thing on her nose that resembled Reagan. The way she had to focus her eyes, squinting to be able to look at the green fairy that was her mother, or at least, Jinju thought it was. ”Mom?” she thus questions, blinking her eyes a few time in order to be able to keep focussed. She could feel the pressure in her head, caused by the unnatural way of looking,  starting to rise.

She had heard him coming, but Jinju had simply chosen to not really pay attention to Ruan’s arrival as her green fairy was still seated upon her nose. That would be today’s lesson, don’t brush of the arrival of someone trusted, because they too could get to you. Jinju danced away from her father, or more turning around to face him, the surprise – and slight shock – appendant on her face. ”Dad! Where did you go?!” she now exclaims, suddenly remembering how he had ‘disappeared’ before her eyes now he revealed himself. Her tone and lips are pouty, clearly disappointed by her failure, more than anything else.

So she naturally couldn’t really agree with and accept Ruan’s words. And it is also not really an answer to how she could’ve missed him. She probably wouldn’t be able to get over that until he told her how, or if she was able to catch him of guard like she had wanted to do. Instead her parents caught her. Nevertheless she answers his offered nose, careful to not squeeze the green fairy between them. ”Guess mom likes to play hide and seek”  she answers her dad grinning, ruby eyes squinting once again to look at the green thing on her nose.

Reagan wiggled a bit, tickling Jinju’s nose before she fluttered her wings and spoke in a high pitched voice “I’m the green fairy!”. A green myst sweeps out of nowhere and carries Reagan from Jinu’s nose to her rightful size and color standing next to Ruan. “I see you were carrying your lessons through into your games. I’m proud of you, my child. And though we do not as yet have fire that is yours to create, there is nothing that says you cannot play with fire which is borrowed.”

Reagan’s mind was always on fire. Reminiscent of the fires of Hell that she was constantly running to avoid, Reagan’s memories were shrouded by her past. She crossed her heart and gripped her rosary. Closing her eyes, she bowed her head, before opening her eyes again in an angry glare that generated a yellowish-red glow from her normally green eyes. Almost out of nowhere, liquid fire emanated from around Reagan’s body—much as they did last time Reggie showed Jinju the power of her element—and with a flick of her eyes, it flashed bright green (as it does when mixed with melted copper) and then purple (potassium). When the fire reached a bright, white heat, Reagan looked up and squared Jinju straight in the eye, smiled, and then stomped the ground with a hoof. This white fire all at once flew around Jinju, and rotated around her like a moon does a planet, waiting for instruction, waiting to be used at will.

Borrowed fire that would recede with time, but would be learned to show Jinju the power of her blood. Her mother may not have thought her special, but Jinju was an elemental. She was unique and wonderful and Reagan was determined to show her the beauty and power that could be brought about with fire.

Now relieved of such a heady element, Reagan winked at Ruan, before turning back to Jinju. “The first lesson is to control the fire around your aura. The second lesson is don’t get burned. You will know that you failed the first one if you also fail the second. This is magic fire so it will not go out entirely, but it is your job to keep it from diminishing.”

She returned to Ruan’s side, and spoke to him while Jinju began her first lesson. “Your son grows bigger by the day, Ruan. I fear that I shall turn into a human blimp in order to increase my capacity to keep him inside me.”
    Ruan
    He was surprised by her outcry. He was, of course, her father but he'd as yet heard her call him such. It felt rewarding to know she saw him as more than an adoptive uncle. She was his first child, and he would always think of it that way. Now it was confirmed for him that she considered him in similar fashion.

Jinju looked a little put out that she hadn't been able to catch him unaware. He chuckled softly, but said nothing. She'd already learned so much, and he was sure she would be able to accomplish more and more in short time. With all the determination shining in those ruby-red eyes, how could she not? She would one day be a very dangerous, very powerful woman.

He shifted to the aside, giving them space to work their magic. Or borrowed fire, in Jinju's case. Reagan gave her instructions, and he buried the concern for Jinju's safety. If anything should happen, Reagan would heal her. Then his Reggie made her way to him as Jinju began her lesson.

"Your son grows bigger by the day, Ruan."

His son. All the heaviness left him and his eyes softened. She always seemed to calm him so easily. To think they'd together formed a new life, the life of his very first child, was awing. Jinju was of course his special girl, and always would be. But this would be the first of his own blood to walk the earth. His first born, his son.

"Let him grow as big as he wants," he said with a smile. "He would not dare harm his mum just to join us." He brushed a strand of hair from her face and looked in her eyes, before turning his gaze back to Jinju to watch her progress.

Jinju
    What had supposed to be a demonstration of her wolf skill – although she miserably failed at that – had turned around and become a fire lesson. With a light giggle she had watched the green fairy, as Reagan had called herself, turning herself into her normal form again. Once she had been much smaller than the gray mare, but soon she would win the ‘who is taller game’. Nonetheless did Jinju like it to press herself up at Reagan’s side. It offered comfort, a sense of home.

”But I failed..” she murmurs under her breath. Yes she had put the things that Ruan had learned her to practise, but it was obvious that she hadn’t been successful at all. Her father hadn’t been there when she had jumped out of hiding and instead her mother had come out of nowhere surprising Jinju herself instead. However, it doesn’t take long before her thoughts move elsewhere. ”Borrowed fire?” she questions, only to be amazed by Reagan’s fire magic right after.

Upon seeing the fire her ruby eyes start to twinkle, a small smile slowly growing towards a wider grin. Every time her mother allowed her to peek into her abilities, Jinju couldn’t get enough of it. Now aware of her own connection to fire, she could feel herself react to it, even taking a few hesitant steps forwards. But what follows next takes her aback, surprises her and, for a moment, it scares her. Yes, there had been times before that Reagan had let the fire near to her, but never had it been – or supposed to be – in Jinju’s own control.

She stands frozen, unsure and hesitant to move, as her wide eyes meet her mother’s emerald ones. ”Mom?” It is only then that she carefully breaths again, not able to stop her mind from going into an overdrive. Nobody had warned her for this, neither explained on how she could control it. She can feel her body react to it, the heath almost felt natural as it warms her skin, but she simply doesn’t know how to use the fire at her own will.

Next to that, Jinju is afraid of failing too. What if she couldn’t do it? It would only prove that her biological dam had been right, that she was nothing special, a failure. Especially now she was trusted with her mother’s fire. What if it would truly disappear and never come back? Compared to the fears of her heart, the inky girl couldn’t really say she was afraid of the fire itself. Almost like her instincts told her it wouldn’t hurt her, that it couldn’t burn her. So when Reagan’s attention moves to Ruan, Jinju is already too consumed with the task on hand that she doesn’t even notice what her mother says.

Her concentration was all on the fire, still not – or only barely – moving and her muscles were even slightly trembling as she tried to give the fire all. Her heart and mind try to move the fire at her will, to pull it closer to her, to have it dance across her skin, but never actually burning her. That, of course, was still a mission impossible, even though she doesn’t fear it, it happens anyway. ”Auwh!” she exclaims loudly, tripping over her own legs when she backs away in an – not so handy – automatic reaction. With the fire all around her she burns her rump too, which has her taking a small step forward to move away from the burning heath, but not jumping to cause the same reaction in the front.

OOC: Ending is a big rough. Got confronted with something that got to me, resulting in an emotional outburst at 12.50am. Aka dead tired, head exploding and a crying mess..

Yes, The fire that was created as a result of the magic was now a dwindled flame. It was independent and free. It had no master, as Reagan’s abilities had once again been plucked from her hand. The fairies, who preached against pride, had taken from her that which was hers. Again. Leaving Reagan to wonder, that perhaps it was not her who was the sinner, but perhaps the fairies, who let their pride and their lust for control and power take away their charity.

And she was not the only one. Jinju, her daughter, and her student, had also suffered the consequences, which has absolutely hurt her confidence. Reagan sees it in the way she trembles at the thought of handling her own fire. So it does not surprise Reagan when the black filly is singed by her own distraction. “Yes Jinju, you’re about to become a big sister. Now, go back to practicing. Remember that you were born to do this, and no matter who tells you that you cant, remember; I know you can.” Reagan schools her features after she says this; barely keeping her anger in check.

Instead, she sidles closer to Ruan, seeking his comfort, placing her head on his back and turning away from Jinju so that the young girl cannot see the older grey mare do something she has never done before; cry.
    Ruan
    He could almost feel Jinju's uncertainty as she took careful hold of the borrowed fire. Concern curled through him like a thick cloud of anxiety, though he held his face steadily blank. It was a difficult task, perhaps even an impossible one as the magic was stripped from Reagan's grasp. Even still, it was a lesson his daughter must learn the hard way, to know that her abilities could be beautiful but also had the power to harm herself and others.

And so he said nothing as she lost her focus and tripped, mildly burning herself in error. His heart hurt for her, but it was an important experience regardless. He hoped it would teach her to never use her immense power against others unless absolutely necessary. She had the strength to be a great danger, a formidable weapon. It was up to her alone to choose how to wield it.

Reagan spoke up, encouraging her gently with her firm belief in Jinju's abilities. He smiled warmly at his daughter. It will only hurt briefly. Ignore it and give it another try. We both have great faith in you. Even without your magic, you can control this little flame. I saw it just now before you lost concentration. You can do it. His eyes were bright with pride, thoroughly pleased with her efforts and her progress.

Reagan eased in closer to him, a subtle shift in her demeanor. He focused on her as she came to rest her lovely face on his back. Silent tears dampened his coat, and his heart clutched painfully. Both his girls were at odds, experiencing a great grievance made against them with as much grace as they could force. He couldn't help but feel that he had failed them in some way. Perhaps if he had taken Jinju.. but no. Reagan was the best choice without a doubt, even if it hadn't seemed like it to them afterward.

I'm so sorry, Reagan, he whispered, placing gentle kisses where he could reach her without revealing her pain to their daughter. She would not wish to be seen this way, and it could frighten Jinju.

I would fix this if I could. I'd do anything..

Jinju
    Her ears are pinned back against her skull and the sudden wetness in her eyes don’t only show the pain she feels, but is also causes by fear – both of the flames and to disappoint her parents – and frustration. She doesn’t know how to handle it, and it doesn’t help her that she’s thrown into the deep like this. Sure Reagan is close and she fully trusts her mother, but this just goes too quickly. Instincts kick in, the natural fear of fire, and Jinju wants nothing else but to flee.

It is then that Reagan calls out to her, and Jinju snaps her head up to look the gray mare in the eye. She stands frozen, holding her breath, eyes slowly growing more watery. She needs a while before the meaning of her mother’s words settle in, even though she doesn’t understand where it so suddenly came from. She is not sure how she should react to it, they dropped the news like a bomb. Was she ready to share the parents she found after so much blood, sweat and tears? But Jinju doesn’t get much time to overthink it, as Reagan simply orders her back to go to practise.

But how could she? Her thoughts are all over the place, body slightly trembling and not to forget the fire that still swirls around her. She feels like giving up, and the red eyed girl probably would have if she had been able to diminish. And Ruan. Just like Reagan he encourages her to try again, to try harder. Both believed that she could do this. So she should be able to, right? Even though she doesn’t really want to. After taking a deep breath, she tries to focus once more. She has to do this, or at least she should try.

She is unaware of her parents’ conversation, of Reagan’s struggles, just like she hadn’t heard them talking about her baby brother. Until Reagan pointed it out quite directly that was. This time she tries to gather all the fire together in a bulb, instead of having it swirl around her. Jinju didn’t want to burn herself again, she was afraid of letting it happen again, thus she minimalized the risk by trying to steer the fire away from her own body. And surprisingly, it went quite successful. If you would say that of a big, uncontrollable floating flaming ball.