• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

ghosts with just voices; aranea, longear, any

we’re on each other’s team…
    Reagan had known of the other lands, and in truth had been thinking of venturing forth into the world to seek them out. Magnus’ visit had beat her to the punch; for in the beginning, she had been slotted to join his band until Demian had plucked her from the hand of the former magician—they had met, exchanged pleasantries, and then had gone along their own way. Neither one had foreseen the future coming—that they would be the sole leaders of the lands to which they had been brought back to.

Magnus and his volcano. Reagan and her trees.

It didn’t fit. And somehow, it did.

Reagan’s attention to detail is keen. She sees Aranea, and acknowledges her with a bob to the head. She comes as a diplomat to a Lady’s forest. Unable to speak, she stands there, looking pretty. Before Reagan had lost her magic, she had seen inside the mind of the girl, and had been able to tell her story. Instead, she merely smiles a weak grin at the dark mare, using words to fill the gap, and to hopefully put her mind at ease. “Aranea, my dear, do not feel as though you are out of place here. Many have gone before you in your stead, and saying too much, start wars. By being silent, you are by far the most observant one here. And when my magic returns to me, seek me out again if you wish to conversate on a deeper level. I will be here amongst the trees.”

Jinju’s outburst comes a short time later, and Reagan eyes the filly, smiling, before returning her attention to Magnus, to see if there was any business to be conducted at this meeting of theirs. “So they ended up naming the mountain Tephra, did they? Interesting, that. Offspring did seem to enjoy that name. What has happened to him and the rest of his band? He, like us, have seemingly fallen apart.” she chuckles softly to herself for a minute, before schooling her features and returning to the topic. “So Magnus, other than trekking into our land to see the forest, what is it that draws you to Taiga? As far as I have been made aware, the lands are peaceful towards each other—for the time being that is.”

— find what you love and let it kill you —

Magnus did not know Aranea’s story, but he could feel her discomfort. He could only imagine how difficult situations like this would be with words screaming at her throat and no way for her to voice them. Compassionate to her plight, he glanced toward her, reaching over to press his muzzle to her neck in a brief movement. He appreciated her presence, even though he could only imagine her frustration.

His attention, however, was diverted to the child, watching them with the cheerful deposition of youth and the gravity of a future diplomat. There was an intelligence to her eyes, and he found himself indulging in a quick smile to her, unable to shake the familiarity to her gaze. It would haunt him in the coming days.

Of course, the majority of his attention was drawn to Reagan who seemed the matriarch and center of gravity for the kingdom. While Ruan certainly held his own, he seemed to defer to the gray mare for the formalities of the meeting. “The name stuck,” was all he offered at first, mulling over her words. “I would not say necessarily that they have fallen apart though. The initial purpose of our alliance had been met: we had found a home for our respective loved ones. Once we had reached some semblance of stability, they stepped down from the council to lead a quieter life. They are still very much residents of Tephra.”

He did not seek Offspring out often, content to let the behemoth lead out his days in the quiet of the land with the company of his love, but it warmed his heart to know he was there should he need him.

“You and I both know that such peace is not guaranteed.” His gaze grew more somber. “I simply want to ensure its continuity. I do not think formal kingdom alliances are necessary, but it would be nice to have some form of understanding hammered out between us.” He rolled his scarred shoulders.

“Plus it is always nice to touch base with old relations.”

magnus

[berber, sorry for jumping longear. <3 i just know you're swamped and didn't want the thread to die.]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Ruan
    He opted to stand at Aranea's side, with Jinju on his other, for no other purpose but to be present and watch. A wing was draped idly over his daughter as though it were completely natural to house her beneath -and perhaps it was. He glanced at Aranea when Reagan introduced the silent woman, confirming in some way or another that she could not speak. Then after a spontaneous play-bite at Jinju, his attention returned to the main speakers.

"So they ended up naming the mountain Tephra, did they? Interesting that. Offspring did seem to enjoy that name. What has happened to him and the rest of his band? He, like us, have seemingly fallen apart."

He looked to Magnus curiously. Eight was from Tephra, he knew; his former king and guardian. Was he gone now? He'd had no luck in finding the man's son, the young prince, which had hurt him more than anyone but Reagan might know. His little wolf. His heart pinched but he remained outwardly impassive. He would blame himself if Kilter had come to any harm. He would never admit to anyone that he still looked for him each time he passed through the forest on his way to the field, always hoping maybe this time he might find him.

Reagan inquired after any diplomatic reasons for their visit, and Magnus answered.

"You and I both know that such peace is not guaranteed. I simply want to ensure its continuity. I do not think formal kingdom alliances are necessary, but it would be nice to have some form of understanding hammered out between us. Plus it is always nice to touch base with old relations."

What sort of understanding, he asked warily, his wing subconsciously tightening around Jinju. He didn't expect any trouble, and didn't want to consider what an outward threat would mean for his daughters' safety. He also didn't see this man and his companions as the future danger; he was slowly, cautiously coming to like them. As much as strangers could. He was one to take his time in trusting others.

His eyes slid back to Reagan, easily deferring to her to handle politics. He was, perhaps, only the muscle and heart. And she was that, and more.

Jinju
    After having her thoughts drift away from the conversation, it is her mother who pulls her back to it, as she addresses the dark mare that thus far has been silent. Jinju had already almost forgotten about her, but it wasn’t like you could really blame the filly for that. While listening to Reagan’s words her head tilts a little to the side, ruby eyes moving from the gray short mare to the taller black one. Turning her head to Ruan, she asks the question that burns on her lips. ”What’s wrong with her, dad?” Jinju didn’t mean any harm with the simple question, she just simply didn’t know nor understood how it was that her mother did talk with the silent woman. Or was that one of the magic tricks Reagan held under her sleeve.

Soon the conversation carries on, they talk about lands, or leaders?, falling apart. Her mother said it had happened to the Taiga too, which caused her young face to frown. They were still here, right? Jinju isn’t given much time to think about it, also not really willing too. This stuff for adults was way too complicated for her. Her eyes catch the golden stallion’s once, flashing a bright smile in return. He seemed nice, so why not?

After staying quiet for quite a while, her father joins the conversation again. From her position snuggled up close against him she glances up. She knows the words he says, but all together they form a sentence that has no clear meaning to her. So instead she glances at her mother, then at Magnus, eagerly waiting for his reply.
    I hope y'all don't mind me replying. I know I'm terribly late - forgive me please <3 I don't know if it's completely dead but I've enjoyed this thread and figured why not ^_^

You only see what your eyes want to see
    You're frozen when your heart's not open

His presence relaxed her, Reagan's words reassured her, and Magnus' touch comforted her. See? Now, pay attention! That was what she COULD do. That was what she could give to Magnus and his kingdom - her ears. For now the words were trapped but her mind was sharp and her ears were honed - she paid sharp attention to those that spoke.

As she listened she wondered at what history would linger between Magnus and Reagan - they had both lived long, so how had their lives crossed? There did not seem to be any animosity, the visit appeared to be all of good intent - this was a comfort, too.

Her company - the one who had been first to approach - did not seem so convinced. He tensed at the mention of the agreement and Aranea was surprised. She blew a soft breath in his direction, a silent reassurance that they meant no harm or ill will. Of that much she was certain, even if she could not read minds or ask Magnus directly.

The child's question did not bother her and in fact the only outward sign that she had heard it was a brief flicker of her ears. Mostly, though, her attention had returned to Reagan as she wondered what the queen's response would be.

aranea
    the fire-eyed shadow of covet and sage