• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you should come back home; djinni, any

Her touch is transporting, even before they move.

Like velvet, her muzzle brushes the stubble on his chin. He leans into it, notices the way his bright forelock falls over his eyes when he does. Like a flag I’ve earned, he remembers, smiling faintly. This time, he’s truly earned it. This time, he won’t drown in the sap of the pines he pulled back into every time rather than waking her in the night. This time, he won’t fuck it up for either of them.

The stars spin quicker above them, falling and fading into the pink birth of a new dawn. It is as if they’ve come to roost in her eyes, to refuel and borrow some of her fire until the next night. He realizes that he will not be alone this next day. As the sun claws its way out of the earth, reaching across the heavens with its orange fingers, he will not greet it by himself. Realization comes in the form of a quick smile and tightening of his gut. She has stayed her traveling feet; he is so grateful. (Will they keep quiet and rooted forever? Can they?)

She kisses him and darkness swallows them up.

It is a familiar lurching in his stomach. A loud whoosh fills his ears as grains of sand pepper his body. He braces phantom wings against nothing before he remembers. When he can see again, he is amazed but not surprised. Amazed, because Djinni takes them to the place he had occupied in his mind only moments (and meadows) ago. Dawn picks up where it left off, fiery streaks rising from the water instead of the earth. He is not surprised, however, because they’d done this lifetimes before. She had transported him but her burden had been easier, then. Now, she carries parts of him that hadn’t existed back then.

She tells him to stay. For the stupidest second, he hears it wrong. He thinks she means to leave him here (he’ll get his sunrise away from the meadow, but he’ll get it alone). But then it clears away. Walter thinks on it for more than a moment. He doesn’t mourn the man they left behind, the man who died with the old world. He decides to forget the insecurities that had kept his own feet moving for far too long when they already knew where they belonged. “Nothing would make me happier,” he finally tells the genie, the salt wind rising his mane. “It’s a far cry from the Chamber, I’ll give you that.”

Walter

come down from the mountain
    you have been gone too long

They are far from the only immortals in Beqanna, but the likelihood of individual lives intertwined for so long is what makes this special. So often she'll pass a horse but once in it's lifetime - or in hers - but Walter is different. They keep meeting despite the time and distance they put between themselves, and often it is because Djinni comes back to look for him.

Often, but not always.

Sometimes it is fate, or karma, or some higher power with a name that no one remembers or perhaps that no one had ever known.

Walter is the one that has known her since she was barely more than a girl, since before she was whatever she has become now with a century of life behind her. He doesn't know all of her, of course, but nor does she know all of him. They can't, not with their constant pauses and rewinding.

The sand settles around them, and Djinni does not take her dark eyes away from him even as he looks out at the sea before them. She wants him to stay here, even if she's not entirely sure what here is yet, and she is unwilling to look away lest he disappear once more.

"The Chamber always had too many trees for my liking", she says with a teasing tap to his shoulder. "Though I'm sure if you really wanted a few pines I could manage that."
    D J I N N I
    genie | rose gold tobiano dun | trickster