• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

maybe we're a little different, there's no need to be ashamed; kade
    You need never feel broken again.
    I just smile as Uncle Kade looks me over, trying really, really hard to be patient and still and wait for a story. The wiggles have to go somewhere though, and my little ears swivel about, and my little tail waggles, but I tryyy. And that’s the important thing, right? Right.

He finally opens his mouth, but it isn’t to tell a story. Aww, man! Those swively little ears are suddenly much more droopy than swively, and my head is heavier and my shoulders slump a bit and I blink sad eyes up at him as I try to figure out the answer to his question. Even if it WAS directed at Momma. My belly isn’t exactly rumbly, but it isn’t full to the tippy top either. I could eat, if I needed to, but I don’t really need to. What a weird question.

Momma smiles though and licks my little scruff of a forelock. “She just ate, but she’s still really new. They eat a lot of tiny meals, especially for the first week, and she was just born during the night. Can’t believe how much she’s getting around already. You should be exhausted, little one. How are you not ready for a nap?”

I snort and nudge her shoulder with my nose. “Dunno, why would I nap when there’s a whole wide world to see?” And then the reason for Uncle Kade’s weird line of inquiry sinks in and my eyes get all wide and I stare up at him, a grin slowly growing and spreading across my face, first one side, then the other. Ohhh my. Oh my goodness gracious, this idea is so much better than a story! Ohhh I can’t even begin to contain my excitement. My whole body wiggles and wriggles and squirms with energy and delight and impatience to go, go, go! “Oh, Momma, can I? Can I please? I’ll be so, so good! I’ll fill up now so I won’t be hungry for ages and ages, at least like ten minutes, that’s a long time, right?” Oh, we could have such grand adventures in ten whole minutes!

Without waiting for a response, I dart back and duck under Momma’s leg to fill my belly with happy cozy warm tasty milk, only half-hearing her snort and add, “With as little as she is, I’d need to tag along on any adventures you might have, even if only to act as lunch. But we can go for a bit of a wander if you like. I’ll hang back and let you two have some fun, and she can rush on over any time she runs out of fuel. Forest or playground is fine. Just...not the Meadow.”

Her voice gets funny when she says that part, grim and dark and not-Mommy. Or not the happy cuddly cozy Mommy I know anyhow. I pause, pulling back to look up at her with milk dripping down from the corner of my mouth, my head tilted and my ears pricked forward, curiosity holding me absolutely still for about a heartbeat and a half, which is probably the longest I’ve ever managed in my entire life ‘til now.

“And when she’s a little bigger and can go longer between meals, you’re welcome to take her on more adventures on your own if you like. Her daddy would like to meet you, by the way,” Momma adds, and then I’m too distracted thinking of all my best people all in one spot and how cozy and happy and lovely that sounds to dwell anymore on strange tones and why the Meadow is off limits. Ohhh I wonder what it would be like to be cuddled by all three at once! Best cuddle! Though it’s pretty darn comfy with me and Momma and Daddy in a cuddle pile already. Where would he fit? Maybe I could climb up on Momma’s back and he could cuddle on her other side, but then I wouldn’t be squished in between all soft and warm.

Hmm.

“Momma, Uncle Kade could come home with us after, and he could meet Daddy then, and we could all have a great big cuddle pile sleepover together! Isn’t that the best idea ever? Or maybe second best, because exploring is the very bestest I think, right, Uncle Kade? Better than a story, that’s for sure, good job!”
    Sometimes darkness can show you the light.

pic by Qinni

Messages In This Thread
    RE: maybe we're a little different, there's no need to be ashamed; kade - by Rora - 12-26-2016, 05:45 PM