• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the walls kept tumbling down; Djinni/Any
    the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love
    great clouds rolling over the hills
    and if you close your eyes, does it almost feel
    like nothing's changed at all?

She’d suggested he use his wings to visit the new lands, and he had. Sort of. In any case, he’d been aloft for quite some time, and had flown over the lands, checking them out from the air, but none of them had inspired him to land, much less attempt to make a home there. None of them compare to his Tundra, but even Brennen has him limits to how long he can live in the Meadow, and he’s reached them. But even now, homeless, even having not sired his own children for many years (though he is sure he will again), Brennen is not without responsibilities and loyalties. A brief jaunt back to the Meadow to let his granddaughters know where he is headed, and finally he is once more soaring over the ocean. Over Nerine, this place he is considering making his home. It actually seems like a good place for the girls, at least, because it is easy to imagine them in the Amazon jungle, in an earlier time.

Whether it will be a good place for an old, somewhat reticent, lifelong brother of the Tundra remains to be seen.

The sea, at least, is a familiar scent. He was born on the beach, after all, and the Tundra had reached the sea as well (though the scent of ice and seawater is distinctly different than all of this sand). He doesn’t land right away, winging his way instead back and forth lower to the ground than usual, taking it all in. Or at least everything he can see from the air – the caves will require further scrutiny on his own four legs. But at long last, he does land. The sand feels different beneath his hooves, rises in tiny wind storms from the backdraft of his wings at landing, but a few steps forward bring back the muscle memory of how to move in the deceptive footing (and memories of Morphine and her desert, but he pushes those away).

Lifting his dark muzzle from an exploratory poke of the shifting sand beneath his hooves, he looks around, and waits. Someone will come to him, he is sure.

brennen
    immortal, winged, bone-bending, ice-manipulating Tundra warrior

This sucks and I'm sorry but I had to post someone to get myself rolling. @[kahzie]
    djinni

The first ocean Djinni had seen was the broad water to the west of the Desert. The sand of the sea met the sand of the dunes seamlessly. A young Djinni had imagined that the solid line of blue that she could see in the distance was a new blue land, and the endless water that confronted her as she stood between her parents was a wonder in itself. There have been few things that have awed her since, but those things that do she holds as tightly as that early memory of her parents and the ocean.

She is thinking of them as she looks out at the ocean, and her grullo coat has softened to mimic her mother's silver buckskin hide, dappled across the back and rump with birdcatcher spots that give her the look of an overgrown fawn. A horn like her father's crowns her head, slender and silver.

The shadow on the sand is what catches her attention first; it is far too large to be a gull. Raising her head, Djinni's sharp green eyes spot the soaring stallion. Those overlarge wings are familiar, so she smiles. It seems Brennen has taken her up on her invitation after all. She does not rush to greet him, but instead stands steady, enjoying the warm spring breeze that tugs at her mane until he lands. Only then does she walk closer, a different color entirely than the last time they had met, but still obviously the same mare.

current appearance:
    natural build - slim
    silver buckskin
    birdcatcher spots on back and hindquarters
    silver unicorn horn
    D J I N N I
    genie | rose gold tobiano dun | trickster
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    At first glance, he thinks that a stranger is approaching. He draws himself up, straightening, prepared to meet a new person, but then something makes him hesitate, tilt his head, and trail his glance from head to toe to make sure he isn’t seeing things. By the time she reaches him, Brennen is sure that it is his wish-granter he is looking at, though she is very different than in the Meadow. No wings, a single horn, and a different color give her a more natural air than the dragon wings, purple color, and gold horns she’d sported before.

“Djinni,” he greets her with a half-smile, glad that he at least has a familiar face for this first landing. Hopefully she has the time to get him a little more acquainted with the place before he delves into any other interactions. There’s no guarantee that protocols and procedures haven’t changed as radically as the lands themselves, and he is loathe to mis-step and cause accidental offense. He’ll have plenty of opportunity to cause purposeful offense later on, he’s sure. “That’s a neat trick,” he observes aloud, and can’t help wonder what other talents she has up her metaphorical sleeves.

“Perhaps you could tell me more about Nerine,” he continues after a pause, “if you’ve the time. I don’t want to make any assumptions, as I am sure many things have changed in this new world.” A shadow passes over and he lifts his head to check the horizon, but it is only a seabird in the air above them, not the familiar blue-gray wingspan of his granddaughter. He doesn’t expect her from the air – she will most likely walk, with Cassady – but there is always the chance she will come alone. Bringing his face back down to look at his current companion, he shuffles his wings into a more comfortable position and offers in explanation, “I am expecting two of my granddaughters will join me here as well. The Meadow is not particularly to their liking either.”
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN
    djinni

The quick glance up and down is so familiar that she does not register it; she is infrequently the same from one meeting to the next. She does keep the jewelry most of the time, and today is no exception. Brennen mentions the changes though, and she has to struggle to remember what she was when they had met. She smiles when she does, shrugging it away with a chuckle as she replies: "I did tell you the flying wasn't my only talent." That was before she'd given him back his wings too, of course, so the bay stallion has a broader idea of her talents than she gives to most others.

He asks her to tell him more of Nerine and Djinni nods - she'd be glad to - but she is distracted from answering by the way Brennen turns toward the horizon. She follows his gaze to the gull, and is looking back to ask for an explanation just as he begins to give one. Her ears prick curiously at the mention of granddaughters, and she smiles. "They'll be welcome here too, of course. Nerine has no restrictions on residency." Not like the Jungle, she doesn't say, but some things don't need to be said aloud to be understood.

"Queen Nayl is carrying on Naga - our first queen's - plan to open Nerine to mares and stallion. The ranks are separate, but equal. We don't yet have ties to any of the other lands but Sylva. As far as diplomacy goes, it doesn't seem much has changed from the way things were done in Old Beqanna, and fortunately we've not yet had any reason to find out how wars might differ."

current appearance:
    natural build - slim
    silver buckskin with birdcatcher spots
    silver unicorn horn
    D J I N N I
    genie | rose gold tobiano dun | trickster
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    Brennen stands and half listens to Djinni. The other half is just slightly distracted – though he hears every word she says, he also hears all of the other things. The crash of the waves on the shore, the sound of the wind in the caverns and caves, the distant sound of hoof on sand and rock. He supposes he will get used to the new soundscape that differs so much from the Meadow and the Tundra, but for the moment he catches every little sound and evaluates whether it is a threat or not. His stance is loose and at first glance relaxed, but someone looking closely would see that he is actual hair-trigger ready to leap into action. A consequence of his life’s vocation, and not something likely to change anytime soon.

He nods when she speaks, the slightest frown of concentration on his face to make sure he catches all words and nuances despite his distraction. It is a relief to hear that honestly, the more things change the more things stay the same. The warrior stallion isn’t sure what the fairies were expecting of their many varied children after the Reckoning – while there were still herds scattered here and there, the vast majority of them had known nothing but Kingdoms. So left to their own devices, of course they fashioned new Kingdoms to replace the old.

Cynical Brennen guesses it won’t be long before they find some reason to stratify again – if not lights and darks, or mythics and non-mythics, they will find another excuse to disagree. No reason to grow lax and lazy in the meantime. “Perhaps the peace will last longer this time, with the fae so recently involved in our lives.” he offers at the conclusion, though something in his amber eyes says he doesn’t believe himself. “Though fighting is all I really know.” A tilt of his head here, a movement that might be akin to a shrug. He will not apologize for his calling, though sometimes he wonders what he might have been if he had not entered into the gladiator rings at the tender age of three. “And knowing that it is where I might best offer my services, who would I seek to find out more about your fighting force?”
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN