• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you need never feel broken again; daddy
    You need never feel broken again.
    “Daddy!”

With a big ol’ grin, I bound up to my daddy and snuggle up against his side, rubbing my face on his shoulder. I’m way too excited to stay still, my body wiggling like crazy and my little tail flailing about with way too much happy energy to contain it.

“Daddyyyy I made a friend! A me-shaped one, even! She’s little and cute and soft and kinda greyish and black and white and she has these big, prettyyy BROWN eyes and her name’s Luster and she’s my new friend! And she’s not imaginary or anything! Least I’m pretty sure, but she does sort of disappear into the dark, but I thiiink she’s for real anyhow! Ohhh I should ask her to come meet you if she does come to Sylva, because that would be fun fun fun. You want to meet her, right, Daddy? A-cause she’s my friend? I thought so.”

I nod and beam up at him and take a deep breath because I’m all out of air and it’s hard to talk with no air. And before Daddy can even say anything back, I keep right on talking. “D’you think Mommy’s gonna be mad I snuck away and made a friend? I know I’m not a’posed to sneak away without saying so, ‘specially if I’m sneaking all the way to the Meadow, but I had to, Daddy! I had big thinks to think and it’s hard to think big thinks when I’m distracted by cuddles and snuggles and wiggles and giggles and playtime and happy cozy friends and oh no I forgot to finish thinking!” My ears droop and my whole head droops and my tail even stops waggling around all happy-like. “I might have to start all over! I forgot where I left off. Oh no.”

I rest my head on Daddy’s shoulder, which is a very comfy pillow shaped just right for resting a head against, and a huuuuge sigh escapes all the way from the very bottom of my lungs. Then I perk right back up. “That’s okay, making a new friend is worth it. How was your day, Daddy? Ohhh you’re not mad though, right? I was real careful like, and I didn’t talk to any strangers except one and she was me-sized and really nice and not scary at all at all, and I didn’t even see anything with sharp teeth but if I had I’d have bopped it on the nose and told it to go away and not eat me.” My face scrunches up a little and my eyes get all big and wide and sad at the thought that Daddy might be mad that I sneaked away. “So it’s okay, right?”
    Sometimes darkness can show you the light.

pic by Qinni

@[Rhory]
    I have died every day waiting for you.

Darling, don't be afraid. I have loved you for a thousand years.

“Daddy!”

A youthful, exuberant voice calls out, and his face instantly breaks into a wide grin at the sound. Rora, his darling little princess. “Rora!” His head turns as the bouncy little black bundle snuggles up against his side. As she rubs against his shoulder his legs waver and his body sways ever so slightly, but he steadies himself, trying to minimize the effect. He’s been feeling weaker and and more exhausted lately, and while he has no doubt that Arrya has noticed (he never could hide anything from her), he doesn’t want little Rora to notice and worry.

“A friend?! That’s wonderful Rora!” His smile widens with genuine happiness. Their little girl is such a wonderful bundle of joy and kindness - she never fails to improve his mood. “She sounds lovely! And I would love to meet her, my dear.” Rora finally pauses to suck in a deep breath (an action that makes him smirk), before asking if Arrya would mind about her sneaking off and asking about his own day. “Well Rora, I don’t know that your mother will be very happy that you snuck off like that, however, I’m sure she will be very happy that you made a friend.” He pauses, forcing the smile off his face in an attempt to look serious. “And Rora, while I am also happy that you found a friend, I must say that I don’t think I’m very happy that you were sneaking about either. While you are perhaps old enough to start exploring farther afield,” Arrya might bite him for that one, “you should still let us know where you are going. So while I am not mad,” he could never really be mad at her after all, “I am a little disappointed.”

“I am glad to hear that you tried your best to be careful, but some strangers aren’t very nice. And even if you don’t run into them, there are worse things out there than strange horses.” He doesn’t want to scare her, but she is still so young, still so naive. He has to prepare her for the world that’s out there.

“But enough of that for now. I’m sure your mother will have her own things to add. As for my day, it’s been quite nice so far. Very peaceful, and I’ve just had a visit from one of my favourite people in the world …” He gives her an exaggerated wink, a mischievous grin splitting his scarred face.

Rhory

I'll love you for a thousand more.
    You need never feel broken again.
    I love the way Daddy’s whole face lights up when he sees me, kinda like Momma’s happy glowing but all him, just all the love in his big, squishy heart shining out through his eyes and his smile. Snuggling with my daddy is one of my favorite things, and I nestle up against him, settling in to listen while he talks. Even if it is words that are not so fun, about how maybe I shouldn’t be sneaking.

“Yes but see I made a friend, ‘member? And that’s important. A girl needs friends, Daddy. And sometimes she’s gotta go looking to find ‘em. Just you and Momma and Uncle Kade is nice and all but I need somebody my age, for secrets and frolicking and playtime.”

Secrets like the one about my big scary adventure with Time, ones I haven’t told anybody at all. Ones that maybe would feel less big and scary if I shared ‘em with a friend who wouldn’t be mad that I got sorta borrowed without their okay, or that I’d talked to a whole lot of strangers, or that bit with the big scary wingy thing, or the sad--look, it was the kind of adventure moms and dads would probably not be happy about, and it would be fun to have a friend to whisper it to someplace only we knew.

“Well I’m glad you have had a very nice day. And guess what! I’m right in the middle with a visit to one of my most favoritest people too. My daddy!” I snuggle closer, rubbing my face on his shoulder in a happy little hug. “I love you so so much, Daddy. With my whole heart.”
    Sometimes darkness can show you the light.

pic by Qinni