• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I am no solution
    fiasko
    Elysteria makes mention of the Gate’s current ruler and Fiasko nods her scarred head in agreement. “Yes actually. We are currently ruled by a mare by the name of Camelia.” Though for who knows how much longer - the kingdom is currently in the process of electing a new ruler. Fiasko herself might be on that throne soon …

That fact is still so bizarre to her.

She is a little disappointed however to hear that the Dale sounds exactly like the Gates. She would have thought a mythical kingdom would be well, more interesting? Though she had not heard that their king Tiphon is an angel … whatever that means.

“The Gates is much the same. I am personally part of the peace caste.” She smiles wryly. “I wouldn’t be very good at fighting.” The year of malnutrition in her youth permanently stunted her growth and weakened her bones. She would be easily crushed by any half-competent fighter.

The stallion begins to speak about his own past and her ears flick forward attentively. She likes to hear more about the world - her own knowledge is so limited after all. And this land that he speaks of - Gregor Valley - is one that she’s never heard of before. It seems fascinating, both similar and dissimilar to Beqanna.

She wants to ask what he means by his ‘precarious attribute,’ but she feels that he probably would have gone into more detail if he wished to. And she doesn’t want to pry. Instead she chuckles awkwardly. “Well, I am rather untalented.” Unremarkable really. The only thing that makes her memorable is the ruin that is her face. And that’s not a talent. “What made you decide to come to Beqanna?” She’s being unusually forward today. Where is this newfound confidence coming from? “Sorry, I should stop prying!”

i'm still waiting for the world to end
    love is a temporary madness...
    If she were asked, she would freely admit to a growing curiosity about the stallion standing before them. While he speaks easily of his past homes, he is not entirely forthcoming. The red mare can fully understand an unwillingness to share. She has her own secrets and past shames she refuses to speak of. Still, her curiosity does not wane.

A small smile touches her lips as he mentions the dichotomy in belonging to both the peace and war castes. Perhaps the term ‘peace caste’ was a misnomer in some respects. She had never been an especially fierce or war-like mare. Her forte had always been in conversation. But necessity had forced her to learn battle skills. And though it was perhaps not her first response to any situation, she had become quite good at it as a result. Good enough to win her immortality, at least. Because of this, she is able to respond easily to his comment.

“Sometimes, not easily. But the two are not mutually exclusive. In war, you need ambassadors to broker peace, or the war would never end. And, though we may wish it so, peace does not always last forever. If negotiations do not go as planned, it can be beneficial to know how to extract yourself if necessary.”

The conversation continues then as he gives a brief description of his previous homes. Her dark ears remain tipped forward as she listens to what he, then Fiasko, have to say. She cannot help but find the other mare’s questions, followed by her sudden shyness, somewhat charming. A smile once again touches her lips.

“Not entirely untalented, I am sure.”

Her gaze moves back to Weir as she adds a question of her own.

“I must admit that I am curious as well. Are you looking for something specific? Not just in Beqanna, but in a new home.”
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

He listened some more as they each spoke. His amber gaze changing between the two fluidly as they spoke in turns, answering questions or adding to the general conversation.

A funny, fickle thing fate was he thought as he was asked what had brought him to these lands. Truth be told, he wasn't sure, it was always a different reason when he felt compelled to travel somewhere. To break up his existence with periods of time spent in lands outside his own home. Sometimes there was something to be learned form the visit, others it was to meet someone, and still others he ended providing assistance to a new friend. Being the reason the for the trip himself, now those were always peculiar to him. As was the case, he wasn't sure what the purpose of this excursion was, no more than he knew the outcome. A poor answer, but he would manage, somehow, he always did.

"Well, what I seek and why I am here are for the most part of the same reasons. I feel the need to be here.  I seek to find out what that reason might be. It varies, from place to place," Of course as expected that only left more room for questions, so he provided his latest explanation. "Why, my last visit to Trist I came across a  very important piece of information. My home land had been suffering a time from a drought, very odd thing we had never had any issues with before. Turns out, a magician there had a hand in it. A bitter old woman, she felt spurned by an uncle of mine, some years ago. As they say, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."He chuckled on that last bit, perhaps a joke to himself, one others might not necessarily find the humor in. For a moment he had forgotten he was in fact in the presence of woman, and quickly his laughter ended. A small almost choke escaped his maw as he righted his expression, feeling a bit contrite.

"Well of course I had to make things right again, she took a time of convincing but in the end we saw eye to eye. I'm sure there will be much to learn here, or many for me to meet for that matter."  His tail flicked this way and that as he allowed himself to relax a bit more, his taught muscles finally releasing. Though his eyes again took on that lost with nowhere to go look, as his last sentence left his muzzle. He didn't particularly enjoy that part of his life, the not knowing, though he doubted anyone really did. He shook his head, an attempt to rid his brain from its confusion, a mess of mane flying everywhere. A lock of red falling between his eyes, before his vision cleared and his stomach settled,golden pools resting on the bay.

Trust your gut the saying always went, well why was it Weir's gut always wanted so much from him?

fiasko
    As Elysteria elaborates upon the role of the peace caste, Fiasko finds herself wondering about the outside world. Except for her very early childhood, she has spent the entirety of her life living in the Gates, and even then, her life had been confined to the lands bordering Beqanna. But there is a whole other world out there that she knows so little about. And Weir offers a little window into that world.

She looks away bashfully when Elysteria says that she must not be entirely untalented, but her ears perk as Weir speaks about Trist, one of the many lands in which he’s spent his time. She’s very interested to hear of the drought and that they too have magicians. Not that she’s even met any of Beqanna’s magicians before - she’s always been low on the Beqannian radar. Well, until now. She rather hopes she doesn’t get any unexpected visitors if she becomes queen.

“Well, we certainly have magicians here, though I have little experience with them.” The roan stallion suddenly shakes his head, his eyes falling upon Elysteria. Fiasko has a sinking feeling that he will want to go with the bay mythic. It’s unsurprising she supposes, given his background. In the Dale he will have far more chances to experience the oddities that Beqanna has to offer. She remains silent, waiting for his final answer, though she already thinks she knows what it will be.

i'm still waiting for the world to end
    She had heard many reasons that a horse had decided to come to Beqanna. They enjoyed exploring new lands, wished to see the odd and exotic things Beqanna provided, wanted to make a new life for themselves, were running away from old enemies or dangers, wished to escape their old life. Just to name a few. She had never heard the one he gave before, never heard a horse express an inexplicable need to come here. She does not question it though. She knows how odd this land is, the strange things it can do to a horse. She herself has been on the receiving end a time or two. So that he might have been called here for some purpose she does not doubt.

As Fiasko comments on the magicians of Beqanna, Elysteria cannot help the soft, wry laugh that escapes her. They certainly do have magicians. She unfortunately has had far too much experience with them.

“We certainly do.”

Her expression remains markedly neutral as she expounds on the comment.

“If you are here long enough, you’ll likely meet a magician. In fact, sooner than you may have bargained for, should you choose to accompany me to the Dale. We have one of the newest magicians in residence there. My daughter’s half-sister, actually.”

She does not mention the other magicians he is likely to meet. Magic seemed to run rampant in her family. Her own father is a magician, though she does not care to dwell on that fact. She is less than pleased with him at the moment, considering the hell he had just put her daughter, his own granddaughter, through. She knows confronting him would be decidedly ineffective, but she cannot help the surge of protective anger that sweeps through her at the thought. The topic, unfortunately, is a hot button for her. For more reasons than one.
    elysteria

Well how about that, this land held magicians as well. According to the little painted lady, there may be even a fair few! The news was delighting to Weir, his mood changing to accommodate, leaving him feeling rather chipper. Perhaps not truly his favorite types of equines to come across, he couldn't very well lump them all together either. A fair few he had known had been perfectly pleasant company actually, company he did sometimes miss but he was sure there would be time for all things eventually. Perhaps these too were magicians he could enjoy a good chat with, or at the very least they always had something to say. He thought one would be surprised at how much you could learn from magic folk, if you knew how to listen. 

When the bay had added that he may meet one sooner rather than later he was perplexed. However, that was quickly remedied as she went on with further explanation. She herself had a child with such a trait, well, that was lucky. Weir was not yet aware that traits could be passed down genetically, they had so few back home he thought it just an oddity. Well, that settled it, he had decided he would like to know more of this Dale. "I would be glad to accompany you on the way back to your Kingdom miss, that is of course if that's all right?" She seemed a bit miffed for a moment, he had hoped she hadn't suddenly decided to retract her offer. He hadn't thought he had been too terribly misbehaved.

Her normal calm is quickly returned, her features settling easily into their natural friendliness. There is nothing she can do about her daughter’s situation at the moment. Joscelin had not even asked for help, and Elysteria was not sure she ever would. So she refocuses her energy back onto their conversation, a comfortable smile returning to her features as her gaze catches Weir’s. Her smile brightens, turning radiant at his response.

“More than all right. I am delighted that you have decided to come. Please, follow me. I will show you the way.”

With a nod and a word of farewell to Fiasko, she turns in the direction of the Dale.
    elysteria

OOC: I'll get a post up for you in the Dale later this evening. If you want to post him first, feel free. Either way, I'll have something for you tonight. Smile
    When he reveals that he wishes to go with Elysteria she is unsurprised. She simply smiles politely, and offers one last comment before she turns to go. “I hope you enjoy the Dale! Please feel free to drop by and visit us in the Gates any time!” And with a soft little smile, she leaves.

(OOC: Haha not much, but I just wanted to close her part in the thread Smile )