• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; Army/Any&All
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    It is time once more to become what he has so often been. A teacher, a master of his trade, a warrior. This is what Nayl says he can do for Nerine, and he knows better than to think he can drift by as a recluse in the Kingdom of the Amazons the way he had so often at home. Not without proving himself first.

He has been many things more recently than he had been a great warrior general of the Tundra (a father, a grandfather, a nomad, heart-sick) but Brennen guesses it will be much the same. There will be those who are talented, who may surpass even him; and there will be those who are hopeless but valiant in their attempts; and there will be those who fall elsewhere along that spectrum. The main difference, he supposes, is that there will be a gaggle of mares and fillies who gather to stare back at him today, rather than a horde of colts and stallions.

Brennen finds a place where the rocks are not too jagged, the sand not too deep, and he calls for them. Those who are – or who wish to be – warriors. Those who would apply themselves to this craft he has loved since he was barely more than a hapless child himself. He waits until it seems a few have gathered and there are no more immediately coming, and then he begins to speak. “I’m Brennen. Nayl asked me to spend some of my time working with the army.” A pause, and he sweeps his amber gaze over those who have come. “I am new to Nerine, and probably haven’t met most of you, though I hope that will change in the future.”

He doesn’t stop to ask who might already be in charge of Nerine’s army. He could try and say that it didn’t cross his mind, but the truth is that he is still confident enough in himself to not care. Nayl hadn’t, after all, said ‘go talk to this lady about working with the army’, which he assumes she would have if it was an important distinction. “To start, let’s introduce ourselves. Perhaps a name and a training exercise you think would be of benefit to everyone. Then we’ll move on to some mock battles, the lifeblood of a fighter’s education.” A smile there that isn’t altogether friendly. “Again, I’m Brennen. The loose sand and packed sand at the edge of the water will provide a variety of surfaces for us to run on, to strengthen our bodies.”
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN
    djinni

Djinni will never be a warrior.

Not a good one anyway. She knows how to use hoof and tooth to defend herself and perhaps a handful of others, but her blood will never sing for conflict the way that it does for those truly skilled in warcraft. The grullo mare has always suspected that Brennen was one of those for whom it did.

It’s been several months since she has been in Nerine, but she has not forgotten the way that the sand sinks beneath her hooves as she responds to the bay stallion’s call. He looks at ease against the backdrop of the green sea, and she gives him a warm smile that matches her sea-green eyes. She looks at the other faces assembled too, her sharp gazing flicking from one to the next. Many are strangers to her as well, new recruits to the seaside realm since her last visit.

“I’m Djinni,” she tells them in her rough voice, the deep tone a clash against her doelike expression and petite stature. “Swimming is a good stamina builder,” she continues, “Though the winter riptides can be dangerous.” It’s hard to imagine winter when they are standing in the summer sun, but her knowledge of the seasons here suggests familiarity with the land that does not mesh with her sudden appearance and the smell of autumnal Sylva.

She has always enjoyed clashing in a multitude of way – the lime green and burnt orange of her mane is just the surface.

all my fragile strength is gone

I know this is an old thread that I should have replied to ages ago, but I figured that it might get revived with the announcement of the nerine gladiator thing Big Grin
    D J I N N I
    genie | rose gold tobiano dun | trickster
    ORION'S BELT
    A call was carried throughout the land and as those who had resided here gathered already he came up from behind.  His large dappled frame standing out amongst the rest but ever so slightly blending with the washed landscape around them.  His lobes flickered forward as he came to rest beside a colored mare.  Towering above her petite structured frame.  Sky blue eyes steady on the dark winged stallion who was talking to the group.  His name and purpose made known he listened as the others responded...

As the others fell silent he stepped forward.  Silver forelock thickly draped over his large profile.  A quick joust of his head removed it from his eyes.  Voice thick and rough as he replied to the call, "Orion, Sir.  I shall protect thy lands and all who shall call it home.  In thy name of our Queen." His crown lowered in formality.  He was a warrior by trade.  It had been all he had known in his eternity of a lifetime.  His passion... 
    Warrior by Day, Hunter by Night
    HTML by Call

Ooc: Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  Late to the party as usual XD.