• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

but you're a king and I'm a lionheart; EVERYONE
    magnus

howling ghosts, they reappear
    in mountains that are stacked with fear

It had been a while since they had gathered—since he had asked for them to draw together in the belly of Tephra. They were not a traditional kingdom, not like the ones of old, and he didn’t ask for them behave as if they were. Many of the souls who called Tephra were residents and no more. They did not seek power and they did not seek to join an official caste. They simply wanted to have a place that was safe and he was happy to give that to them—happy to provide them with a sanctuary of their own making.

But, that didn’t mean he would never reach out to them.

And he did so now.

Standing in the middle of Tephra, he looked around, watching as the sun crested over the edge of the volcano, the sky a brilliant blue. Soon, the mares would be giving birth, and the land would be crawling with new life, the bays of the foals calling out, mewling for their mothers. Spring was always his favorite season. He loved the fresh life the crawled over the rocks, the green vegetation blooming. It was less of an obvious change in Tephra, but he could still feel the air warming, and his mood lightened alongside it.

Taking a deep breath, he lifted his golden head and called out for the rest of the land.

When they arrived, his eyes were warm, his smile genuine as he nodded at them each in turn. “Thank you,” he finally said when enough had arrived. “I know everyone is busy, and I appreciate you all taking the time to come today.” A grin. “I just wanted a chance to bring everyone together so that we could have a chance to discuss concerns, or suggestions.” A pause he hunted for a few faces in the crowd. “I also wanted to formally introduce our Council members. Ellyse, our Head of War. Lucrezia, our Head of Peace. Dahmer, the third to be made a member of our Council.” All three of them had become invaluable members of Tephra over the years, and he knew just how lucky he was to have them alongside him.

“That being said, is there anyone who would like to join our castes? Partake in trainings? This land is here to serve all of you, so if there is something that you would like, now is the time to ask for it.”

but you're a king and I'm a lionheart

just a quick meeting! if you haven't already, please reply to the activity check.

i will be updating the board by next week! <3
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

like a heartbeat drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost

Discomfort was an understatement – with each passing day, the life within her grew, outstretching its spindly legs along the confines of her womb, nudging the hardened line of her rib cage and weighing heavily on her spine. Though the broad expanse of her wings had done well to hide away the sight of her bulging belly for many months, she was too far gone to conceal it now, as heavy with child as she had ever been. While the ache of her weary and tired bones often left her agitated, and frustrated, the gentle stirring of the little one within her soothed her each time, reminding her that in time, it would come to an end.

The bright light of day rouses her from her slumber, bleary-eyed and restless, as the golden flecks of her deep hazel eyes search the clear, vivid horizon. Beside her, there is nothing – Magnus, the source of the warmth that she had so easily tucked herself into as the sun fell, no longer remained, and she wondered how long she had slept that he had pried himself away (she had never missed a sunrise before, and yet, here she was rising midday). A low chuckle rumbles within her breast as her teeth gently pluck and preen her delicate flaxen feathers, before finally emerging from her place of rest.

It did not take long to find him – a vision of dappled gold, perched along a shallow hillcrest, the sea breeze entangling itself within his dark tresses. She can hardly hold back the faint smile tugging at the corners of her pale mouth; he had always held the heart and nobility of a King – and though he shied away from the title, she could hardly see him as anything but. A beacon of hope; a pillar of strength.

A grimace surfaces along her features, scoffing inwardly at herself – when had she become so soft?

Soon, she is among the many – the many that thrive within the hazy borders, bathing beneath the brilliant sun of day, lulled by the rumbling of an ever-active volcano. Her hazel eyes search the hardened line of Magnus’ handsome face, quietly observing the mirth bubbling within the endless sea of his gaze. A brief mention of her own name is made, and then Lucrezia’s, and her eyes search for her.

A brief nod is given, both to her and to those standing around her, and her own voice rises then, ”Thank you, Magnus. Should any of you desire to train with me, it can be arranged. We can always be more prepared, and I’ve grown tired of being stagnant,” and the hollow bones of her wings flex in reaction, growing taut along the swell of her belly. ”and with any luck, I will not be with child for much longer. Seek me out.”

Ellyse

Here it comes with no warning; capsize, i'm first in the water
    In the last meeting that had been hold, she had been merely a partaker in ensuring Tephra had a will grounded foundation. Lucrezia wanted to make sure to play her part as best as she could by offering her services her home in any way she possibly could. Now, after proving her worth of the position, she comes as the Head of Peace. The Council within Tephra has been filled by other worthy members she has decided. She has become good friends with both Magnus and Dahmer over the passing months and few years. As for Ellyse, she has not had the chance to personally speak to the now pregnant mare, but show far has grown respect for the councilmember. In fact, she makes note to speak to the mare soon.

Lucrezia had made her way to the group, watching as all of them assembled together. Tephra has come together quite nicely, she notes happily and would not have it either way. It was a home she surely would not trade for anything else in the world. However, she knows with such a high value of this place and members it must be protected. The world she lives in cannot last within peace forever. There are those that will stir and take what they can—she has already seen her fair share of this, especially even more with the visit from Pollock and his gang living in Pangea.

Only time will tell, but they all must be prepared.

Listening carefully as the meeting begins, she allows herself to fall into a comfortable stance onto her right hind leg. When her name is mentioned and the news of her position is announced, she allows a soft smile to grow across her lips. Lucrezia was well pleased with her position—making a difference and helping with whatever she can was very important to her. She would not fall away like the last time she did when such a position and responsibility was given to her. When the other councilmembers are announced she is sure to smile to both Ellyse and Dahmer. Of course, she gives Dahmer a sarcastic smirk if he is to look her way.

Once Magnus has stopped speaking the pregnant warrior speaks up, Lucrezia turns her nutmeg gaze to the mare. Letting an ear flicker in the direction of her. “Perhaps I should learn a thing or two,” she smiles, “It has been years since I have ever practiced fighting.” Lucrezia may be Head of Peace, but protecting and becoming skillful in the art of battle would be important if worse came to it in the coming years.

“As for those who may be interested diplomatic matters. I am always happy to help in any way possible.” She says, a smile crossing her features. “We are a peaceful kingdom, so feel free to initiate peaceful steals and visit other lands within Beqanna. Any news of sort is always welcomed to be heard by me, Magnus, or any of the other councilmembers.” She then falls silent and turns her head back towards Magnus. She does not mention alliances of sort, not knowing if a private discussion should be had or not beforehand.
    ...too close to the bottom.
    html © samshine| character info: here | picture reference: here
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

He is tired. He can feel it in his body – joints ache and muscles groan in protest when he moves, stiff and lifeless. He needs to rest and to sleep, but he could not reach such luxuries and he neither sought them. So instead he fills his days and nights with attempts of memorizing Tephra to its every detail, learning each trail and path within his new kingdom, just like he used to map the night sky and its constellations, the stars’ names and their stories.

Warrick was still a stranger to Tephra. He is distant from the others and he is aware. He continues to fight a demon that no one knew about, kept tucked in closely so that he could attempt to appear more than he truly was. He keeps to himself, wandering the scenery of Tephra with the purpose to understand the land more. If anyone had wished to find him, nightly he would try to climb the highest point and stare into the stars when he thought no one was watching.

The bay stallion, laced with tips of indigo blue, appears obediently when Magnus calls for them. He finds them easily (hours spent researching the landscape gave him quite the ability to move quickly) and approaches them quietly with a soft whicker to announce his presence. His cobalt eyes find Magnus first, and with a slight nod of his head gives the buckskin stallion a silent greeting. His leader commands the small crowd of horses that have clustered together, asking for their input or concerns. As he speaks Warrick’s gaze wanders, and he realizes that there were many unfamiliar faces around him. His jaw clenches tightly, desperately searching for a recognizable face and understanding he should not only be studying the landscape, but also the inhabitants.

His dark blue eyes do find another, and it was at the same moment that Magnus had spoken her name. When Ellyse is introduced, Warrick finds her gaze and gives her a slight bob of his head in recognition, a hint of a smile on his lips. Well, at least he knew two of the crowd. She speaks of training and to seek her out. The stallion’s skin pricks at the idea of fighting, but he could not decipher if it was from excitement or hesitation.

The next to be introduced was no one that Warrick had seen before, but he wish that he had. She had brilliantly beautiful wings at her sides, scattered with markings unlike Warrick had ever seen before. His gentle blue eyes carefully take in her appearance, a single ear tipped towards Magnus as he introduces her. A nod was given in her direction and he listens intently as she speaks, curious. He wonders if he could be of benefit with her, as he was keen with words and expression. It was interesting to him how the kingdom works, but he felt himself becoming more and more familiar with their proceedings. Once Lucrezia’s gaze finds Magnus’, Warrick does the same.

He then realizes that they were expecting him to speak. Caught unawares, Warrick clears his throat uncertainly and lowers his head slightly, kind eyes searching each of the equines before him. “I’m Warrick,” he introduces himself confidently, though softly. “I’m still a stranger to Tephra, but day by day I have felt like it is becoming a place that I can call home.” He pauses, glancing at Magnus with a genuine smile. Warrick is quiet and reserved naturally, but he feels like Magnus knows that the stallion was fiercely loyal to those who do good to him and that, whenever it was needed, he would stand up beside him and defend Tephra – in whatever way that may be.

“I hope to learn each and every one of your names, as well as the ability to call you friend. I haven’t done much lately - ” A sudden pause, ever so discreet but there, his heart stopping as he knows the reason as to why he hasn’t been proactive. He tosses his head to rid the thought, “ – but I’d like to see what I could do to help better this land.” He nods knowingly to Magnus, and then lets his gaze find Ellyse, and then Lucrezia. He would seek them out later, interested in learning the ins and outs of the kingdom’s politics and fancying the idea of finding yet another distraction to keep him busy.

w a r r i c k

The volcano she had known was so much different from this one. Or, not the volcano itself, they looked very much alike, but the lands around it. The Mourning Mountains had been bare, rocky ground, with almost no vegetation. In that matter the Tephra much more resembled the Heavenly Gates. It was like her birthplace combined with the home she had loved so dearly. Like father like daughter they say, right?

She joins those who have already gathered. A champagne mar, but obviously without the feathers that sprang from Lucrazia’s hide. Who, not so surprisingly, is here too. The blue of the bay stallion reminds her of Besra and her family, and the reminder puts a small smile upon her lips. Amorette keeps herself to the side, offering a smile to all that meet her gaze. She didn’t see Atrani just yet, but she would’ve gladly stand by a familiar face.

The most obvious answer would’ve been Magnus of course and if she had been only a couple of years younger she probably would have stood by his side. But she was no longer a small girl. And she should live up to that. Of course does Amore offer him a smile, but other than that she silently waits for what’s to come next.

Some speak before her, answering him or adding something to the words he already spoke. Like the obvious pregnant champagne mare, who invites others to join her in arms. Lucrezia is next. Her words are similar to those that are spoken before, but, before Amore’s able to take that offer, someone else is quicker to speak up. He’s new, just like she is. And like her, eager to contribute. ”I would like to learn the art of diplomacy. Someone once told me I would make a fine diplomat, and I’d like to see if that’s true.” As she speaks, Amorette’s eyes wander to Magnus, a smile tugging on the corners of her lips, before her gaze moves to Lucrezia.

”No harm would be done in learning defence either.” With that, she looks at the winged mare, still smiling and lightly dipping her head. ”I’m Amorette, and I’d gladly learn from both of you.”

Amorette

Quand on n'a que l'amour.

magnus

howling ghosts, they reappear
    in mountains that are stacked with fear

The first few come, and he smiled at them, glowing with pride at the way they assembled and hdld up the bones of this land. It was then that it hit him—the realization. He listened as they talked, as they stepped up, as they volunteered themselves. Tephra was strong. It had grown and blossomed; it was secure.

His gold-flecked eyes swept first to Ellyse, watching as her stomach curved with child, at the strength it took for her to bear it while still holding the title Head of War, her gaze fierce and immovable.

He glanced to Warrick, one of the newest members but certainly not the least of them. To the hope in his eyes and the way that he seeks a home, a way to give back. They would need more like him.

Amorette. His daughter, although not in flesh in blood. She had grown up to be so perfectly love, and he knew, even though it hurt to think of her, that Minette would be so incredibly proud of her.

Finally, he turned to Lucrezia. To a mare who had become confidant and friend and comrade. Someone who had worked alongside him as Tephra was in its infancy; someone who cared and toiled for this land.

And that realization became a glowing knowledge: he was no longer needed.

He smiled then, a soft laugh underneath his breath, as she shook his head, looking at all of them. “Tephra is in good hands with everyone here, and everyone who lives within her borders.” He nodded toward Lucrezia. “It has been an honor and a privilege to serve you all, but the time has come for someone else to bear the title of leader.” This time, he did not run from the crown; instead, he passed the responsibility of leadership proudly, carefully. He would not leave, but Tephra no longer needed him as its leader. They needed someone else, someone who could continue to guide them, to care for them as he did.

“Lucrezia, Tephra needs someone like you at the helm. Are you ready?”

but you're a king and I'm a lionheart

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Here it comes with no warning; capsize, i'm first in the water
    Each of them come and gathers around—new faces that will eventually become friends and part of the family. Tephra has become more of a family than she had ever imagined finding again. The Deserts had become her first real family even despite the family her father had tried to create involving her and Straia. Her blood family was not a family at all, not like the Deserts family and this one now.

Tephra was more her home than ever now.

She smiles as each of the new ones greet and speaks their mind. Lucrezia has always favored the opinions of others and their loyalty freely made to a place to call home. She was lucky to have such others in her life and a home like Tephra too. It did not matter how many, big or small, that lived within Tephra. This was her family, and she would fight for anything to protect them and her home.

But she does not expect this—the turning of events and drawing a new card to add to the hand she already holds in this game called life. It felt wrong, but also right at the same time, when Magnus addressing and asking her. ASKING HER?! Someone who had abandoned their home not once but twice. Someone who had fled at the responsibility of leading the diplomatic branch in her home.

She had fled at the sign of committing anything in the past.
    And now, was she even worthy to do what he asked of her?

Lucrezia is silent for a few moments. She states with nutmeg eyes at the buckskin stallion. Magnus had become her acquaintance in this new world. He had become a trusted friend over the years. Their desires and needs had been similar and together they worked towards creating what Tephra is now.

He trusted her—to protect and guide what he led now. It was one of the greatest things anyone could perhaps ever give her. Lucrezia felt honored and blessed to be here, to be in Tephra and part of this family.

A smile grows across her light skinned lips. Her eyes then fill with determination and excitement. “I would be honored to lead Tephra,” she says proudly, “Of course, that is if you will have me.” She turns to look towards those that have gathered. It is those within this land she believes that should have a voice. The people of Tephra have a right to decide who leads them.

“As your leader I promise not to fail you.” She doesn't want to fail her family and home this time. She cannot. Her life these past years has ensured that she would never falter into the shadows like she did before. “I will be here at your side through think and thin,” she speaks again because she knows that the road was not going to be easy. There will be highs and lows in the coming years in Beqanna for all of them.
    ...too close to the bottom.
    html © samshine| character info: here | picture reference: here
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

She knew only little of his past. Only the part that they had spent together, a couple of years, but not  more than two. Relatively short. She had seen his love for and devotion towards the Gates and as a young girl Amore had only admired that. She had wished to be like that too, one day. Perhaps that time had come now. It had been simply the presence of Magnus that had made her call Tephra home, just like he had been the one to bring them to the Gates. Tephra was not the Heavenly Gates, but she was more than ready to commit.

Amorette watches him as he speaks, her gaze only moving towards Lucrezia once he’s finished. A smile lies on her lips. The corners of her lips tug up even more when the white and golden and peafowl mare addressed them all. She doesn’t reply right away, instead decides to now claim her place at her father’s side. She reaches out to him, her muzzle touching his shoulder, before turning to look at Lucrezia again. ”I haven’t been here long enough to really support or oppose you, but if Magnus thinks you are the right one to lead Tephra, I can only support that.”

She had spoken to Lucrezia before, when she had been out to explore Tephra after her arrival. The volcano had lured her closer and that had caught the champagne mare’s interest. Amore could only find her friendly, she simply did not know the other mare well enough. ”But dad..” she starts, pausing to let her gaze sway back to Magnus. ”You're not leaving, right?” She didn’t want to lose another parent.

Amorette

Quand on n'a que l'amour.

Spring was one of Thanata's favorite seasons, if not because of the changing of the land but also because of the promise of new life. Though the tall, thin-but-muscular mare was still a maiden, she adored the little ones running around, playing together as they explored their new home. Foals may be creatures ruled by pure instinct while they were young, but Thanata still thought of them as sweet, innocent ones that needed to be protected. She did not feel any pain as she watched the young ones gallop around with each other, but still did wish for the joy of her own little one someday.

Thanata had gone off to graze alone that day, wanting to spend some time by herself. Tephra had been rather quiet lately, but Magnus seemed on edge, like he had something he wished to discuss with every horse. It wasn't Thanata's place to mention such things in front of him, so she patiently waited for the day when Magnus would reveal what he had to say.

Apparently, she would not have to wait long.

Shortly after the sun crested the peak of the volcano's ridge, Magnus' call echoed throughout the Tephra's land. Thanata's head immediately went up when she heard it, her ears turned in the direction it came from. Seems like he wanted to see everyone today; perhaps he was finally going to reveal the news Thanata suspected he had been keeping in for some time? The Friesian mare started loping toward the meeting place, eager to find out.

Shortly after she and various other residents arrived, Magnus discussed the orders of business for why he had summoned them here. He thanked the residents of Tephra before introducing the newly appointed council members; Head of War, Ellyse, Head of Peace, Lucrezia, and last but not least, Dahmer, a newly appointed council member.

Thanata picked each of their faces out among the gathered, smiling at the news. She was glad these horses had earned their places, for each of them had proven their worth. The mare listened as Ellyse told Magnus of her thanks before stating she would train any of those who sought to learn under her guidance.

The black mare, since she wasn't that far away from Ellyse, stepped closer to the lighter-colored mare, "I will begin training as a diplomat, officially, Ellyse, but I would still like to learn more about fighting so I can do more to protect the fellow residents of Tephra. I would be honored to learn under your guidance, if you would so choose to take me on."

Thanata had never been much of a fighter; it wasn't that she was physically weak, for her overall body form made her quite capable. However, morale-wise, she was definitely a fan of words over hooves. Still, even a quiet one like her needed to learn to protect herself and other members of the Tephra, so she thought it'd be a good idea to learn at least some pointers about how to fight.

Lucrezia also expressed her desire to learn, and Thanata took the chance while the Head of Peace was close by.

"Lucrezia, I will learn to defend myself, however, my main interest is diplomacy. Would you be willing to take me on, to teach me before I go out into the land as a representative of Tephra?" she questioned politely.

Two others also stated their intents of learning the system and becoming a valued member of Tephra. Then, something happened that shocked Thanata to her core.

Magnus... was stepping down. He had officially asked Lucrezia to become the new leader of Tephra. Thanata's eyes widened briefly; she was not appalled at Magnus' choice, she was just surprised that the buckskin was willingly stepping down now. Why did he believe it was his time? He had not been ruling the Tephra that long.

But he seemed willing to let his place go, just as much as Lucrezia was willing to take it on. When the mare stepped up and stated she would be honored to lead, and guide the residents of Tephra, Thanata smiled at the mare. She dipped her head, showing her respect for the new leader, knowing Lucrezia would do good in guiding the kingdom.

"I must say, Magnus, I am surprised, but you have chosen a good successor. Lucrezia," Thanata eyed the newly-appointed leader, "I will follow you, and do my best to protect the kingdom I call home under your guidance."
    He came to the meeting, he was a good herd member like that, he wouldn't deny Magnus his audience, but he also didn't feel like saying much. He was still slightly annoyed he had put himself in this position, to have to work his way up the ranks again. If he had just stayed around from the beginning Kildare would have seen to it his position was kept, he was already proven. But that wasn't the case now.

The blood bay sat back and watched the others announcing themselves and chit chatting, Magnus would take notice of his presence, surely. And if he didn't I'm sure it would come up in their next conversation, either way, he mainly came to find Lucrezia, so that he could talk to her about what needed to be done within the alliances and the peace caste as a whole.  But what he got was something else entirely. He was not expecting the words that followed Magnus' greeting.

Lucrezia. was. taking. over. each word struck him mind like a staccato, sharp and piercing with separation between notes (or more so words). Well, that was a turn of events... and it changed how he planned to address the mare. 

He stuck around to hear her reply and listen to everyone else's words. He left when the crowd disbanded after hearing all the others out... He would find his new ruler soon, best not to ambush her directly upon appointment.
    [Image: nymphetamine_zpsmlx48otf.gif]