• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Question about use of photos
    So for the most part, none of us own the photos we use for fake ponies. In the past few weeks, it's been brought to me that I'm using either the same photo or same model as others in the game.

So my question is, when can I use the same model as another player? When can I use the same photo of another character? I only ask because we all search and look and have similar tastes. I've seen the same model used recently for horses I've played before but I do not have them active so it personally doesn't bother me but it does others AND THAT IS OKAY but do I need to contact the companies who legally own the photos to obtain permission or can we give horses like a statue of limitations? Like if you haven't played a pony in like 3 real life months can I go ahead and use the same photo/model? Unless it is either your photo or you own the photo of course.

I only ask this publically so it can be cleared up across the game.

Sorry if I piss anyone off, it's not intended.
    I would be more than happy to picture hunt for anyone that needs photos, there are a crap ton on my pinterest that havn't been used by anyone before. More than enough so that players won't have to share or re-use.
    Hit me up yall.
    [Image: ca94dsg_by_calltherp-dcioghd.gif]
    SLOW-WORDER CLUB
    Agreed. I'd also be happy to; I have so many great pictures saved that haven't been used yet.

I think it's polite and common courtesy to steer away from photos others have used - I associate pictures with certain characters and I think it's a little weird to see pictures used again by another character.

I'd be interested to see an officer's take on this.
    So I think there's a couple of things going on in this request.

Copyright
    Yes, if a photo is not free for use or under an appropriate creative commons license (the license should allow for modifications, because by putting that photo in HTML you are modifying the photo), you must ask the original owner for permission to use the photo. Finding something on pinterest or tumblr does not mean the photo is free to use, and you should still be aware of all copyright laws around the photo.

The best places to go for photos, that I've found, are DA stock (read ALL the stock providers guidelines, many cannot be used for tables, but many can, and each stock provider is different) and Flickr (narrow your search to Creative Commons license photos, modifications allowed).

This is the only thing owners/officers enforce. If someone contacts us regarding a copyright complaint, the photo will be removed immediately, regardless if the player agrees. Which means if you don't own the photo, we will not enforce another player removing it.

Using the same photo
    Use common courtesy and common sense. If someone is currently using a photo, you probably shouldn't use it. If you can remember someone using it recently, try to find another photo. But you obviously can't know/keep track of every photo someone used.

Players are allowed to contact another player and politely and ask if they would consider using a different photo. However, asking does not mean the other player is required to remove the photo, and owners/officers will not make them.

I've seen one of Straia's photo used by someone else. She was one of my favorite characters. It does not bother me that someone else has the same phot, and I would never ask for it to be changed. Why? Because what makes my character my character is what I write, the personality I create, and the story that character lives. Not a photo.

Using the same model
    You can absolutely use the same model as another character. Though please remember, odds are any photo that uses the same person is likely subject to copyright laws. You must get the appropriate approvals to use those photos.
    Thank you very much for clearing this all up. It answered a lot of questions I had.