• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Need A Little Madness In Your Life?
    Iona didn't really care what side she was on or whose kingdom she was even in to begin with. She just wanted to have a little fun with life, and this seemed to be the best way to start. Through the grapevine, she'd heard that a stallion had wrestled control of Ischia from its (ex) leader, Ea, and her friend, Ashley. Now, rumor had it that same stallion had come here, looking to expand his place of ruling and have multiple kingdoms under his hooves. She didn't know how he would manage that, but it'd be fun to find out.

The flaxen mare took her time making her way to the Hills, preferring to enjoy the scenery. Even as she approached the border, she relished the feeling of the grass tickling her fetlocks, the water splashing up around her and darkening her coat. A couple of aerial creatures, birds and insects that had wings, buzzed by, the mare periodically giving chase because she simply had nothing better to do. She wasn't in any hurry to discover the stallion that lived here, because she had also heard some nasty, mad things about him.

Nasty and mad; three perfect words to describe her mindset. Crazy too, but she had already acknowledged that one many moons ago.

Iona felt her hooves make contact with firm ground a couple of times, a quick glance down telling her there were rocks buried beneath the grass. She also spotted a couple of springs dotted among the rocks, a taste of one confirming it was saltwater. The flaxen wondered how that had gotten here, but pushed that thought out of her mind as she took in the sight of the beautiful flora in the area.

Dancing at the edge of the Hills border, Iona let out a couple of whinnies, calling out in between, "Yoo-hoo? Any horses living here? Any purple stallions that took over Ischia? I've heard some interesting things and I was wondering if I could join the fun," she sand in a sweet voice.
    C R O T A

Crota had been so out of the loop that she had no idea about the purple stallion king that was trying to overtake kingdoms. Unlike Iona, she hadn't been one to care about the dramatics or politics of kingdoms and had strayed far from them for a time. Though while heading to the field to find her own home, finally having given in to the need to be a part of something bigger, she had come across the hills freshly left behind and open for the taking and so that is what she had done. Without hesitation she laid claim to the hills and decided to make it something that was different than the rest.

It was a warm summer day when she set out to explore the land she had come to call home so recently and with gentle ease she made her way through the unusual foilage. She hated how quiet it was, how the wind created more noise than the creatures that lived here. She needed to find others to join her, and soon. But for now she was resting and thinking, trying to sort out in her mind how she was going to even handle the job that she had taken on without a second thought.

It is in the middle of these thoughts that her attention is caught by a singsong voice traveling through the hills. Coming to a stop her small fuzzy ears prick forward, flicking slightly as they listen to the words. Purple stallions? Ischia? Take over? She must be talking about whoever had been here first and then changed their minds. For a moment she waits, hesitant. If this mare wanted to join the fun of what seemed like someone who wasn't very nice, was she a threat? With a soft sigh she finally steps forward and heads towards the voice finally having determined that it was unlikely the stranger would leave until she found who lived here.

"There are no purple stallions here, just spotted mares," her voice dances across the hills towards the unknown mare before the small spotted leader of the hills steps out of the bushes and reveals herself. "I'm Crota, leader of the hills. May I ask for your name?"

@[Iona]
    Ooooo, at least it seemed she was going to have some fun today, even if it wasn't the type she dreamed of. During her prancing around, waiting for the stallion she'd called for to arrive, another voice cut through, interrupting her dancing. Even while she stopped walking, she continued to paw the ground with her front hooves, as if she was still prancing around, seeing the mare that had spoken walking up toward her.

The mare said there were no purple stallions here, then told Iona of her name. How foolish could this mare really be, freely giving her name out to a stranger? Did she really trust so openly to hand it out like a gift, not aware there existed some to use anything they said against her? Well, who was Iona to disappoint?

Putting a convincing smile on her face, Iona such a master of faking her behavior in order to gain favor of those around her despite her strange attitude, Iona addressed the mare, "Well, it's lovely to make your acquaintance Crota," the flaxen told her in a happy voice. For a brief moment, she wondered if she should reveal her name, but decided to, since not doing so could break the already fragile trust starting to form.

"I'm Iona. This is a very nice land you have here. Have you recently laid claim to it?"
    C R O T A

It is almost disconcerting how the mare stops her walking yet continues to paw at the earth and instantly Crota tenses slightly in response, suddenly getting the sense that her first worry of a mare looking for someone who sounded dark and malevolent might not be too far off. And though the mare relaxes for a moment, a smile spreading across her chocolate colored features, Crota does not. For growing up in the world she had, she had learned that when one became a leader, there would always be those who may be full of trickery trying to come in and stir the proverbial pot.

Quietly her eyes trace over the other's face, studying her liquid smile and allowing her ears to point forward at the happy sounding tone in her voice. "You must be a happy girl, Iona," she smiles then, her head lifting a bit higher as she continues to study the other. It is a strange comment, she knows, but the level of sudden happiness makes Crota uncomfortable yet curious. Because honestly, such happiness was a rare sort of thing nowadays and hardly existed. Stretching one short yet muscular leg forward she takes a step closer.

"I do so wish, I could sound so happy. You know, the way you do," her voice is singsong sweet as it carries across the empty space that stretched gently between them. "While it is nice to meet you, and you seem to be most happy of beings... I must ask, why are you here? Was the purple stallion your leader?"

With gentle grace she avoids answering the other's question about her recent claim on the kingdom. For as most should know, trust must be earned and never freely given, and Crota was one who made the unknown earn her trust. Though it may seem to Iona that it was already started, it had truthfully not yet begun.

@[Iona]
    Ah, it seemed that her actions were putting the mare on edge. Good, that was what Iona wanted. She wasn't doing it to be mean to the mare, or try and show that Iona herself was a threat. She wanted the mare to learn to always be on her toes, to observe the behavior of those around her to search for possible threats. Iona was not showing any signs of being a threat right now, but with her demented state of mind, her personality constantly turning 180's, and a lot of her words sometimes not making complete sense, well, some horses might find that a threat because it would take one stupid move on her part to send everything crashing down.

"Oh yes, I am quite happy. My life is a crap shoot, but I have a nice land to call home, here in Beqanna, and horses that at least put up with me enough that I do not feel alone all the time."

When Crota questioned Iona about the purple stallion, the flaxen immediately noticed something. She'd purposefully dodged the question about claiming this land. Why had she done that? Surely if she claimed the land fairly and had nothing to hide, she would not having a problem revealing if she'd claimed it recently? Sure, newly established kingdoms could be easily crippled while they were still figuring things out, but Crota shouldn't feel threatened.

Iona was a single horse. Then again, that was all it had to take.

"Good lord no, that stallion is no leader of mine. I've heard he's pompous and arrogant, goes gallivanting around to strut off his form and try to take lands from others. As of recently, he's taken Ischia, so he'll probably be busy for a while. I just wanted to see if the rumors had been true, that he'd come here as well, trying to expand his territory.

"But it seems he is not here, and I am still looking for something interesting to do. So, tell me, what here of this kingdom can prove interesting?" she asked.
    C R O T A

It was the claiming of the land that was teaching Crota to not to trust everyone and everything that came across her land's borders. When beforehand she wouldn't have batted an eyelid at anyone simply for being there, now she quietly observed each and every horse that came and went, avoiding giving answers to questions she wasn't quite sure should be known right away. While Iona, for now, was trying to help her learn, she was definitely on that track. Though that isn't to say that Iona wasn't helping with that process, for the unknown chocolate mare certainly was.

Her ears pricked with interest when Iona spoke of her life and with a tilt of the head she gazed at her with a genuine curiosity. "It's good that you are happy, Iona. But I must ask; Your life is a crap shoot though you have a nice home and horses that enjoy your company?" It's strange to her, this contradiction. She doesn't understand it. Either she was happy, or she was sad, or she was angry. But her life usually didn't involve contradictory events; at least, not yet. Because of this reason she needs the other to explain it to her... Explain why it is a crap shoot if she has such nice things that many others don't and would love to have.

Though if the other doesn't want to answer her, she won't force the subject. For she herself had already avoided answering one of Iona's own questions. It wasn't that she claimed the land wrongfully or had a problem with revealing her claim. She just wasn't sure if she could trust Iona enough yet to reveal all her cards so to speak. Like it was said, it could take only one horse that could cause the foundation to crumble and she didn't need that, not now. Not while their (Spear, Caw and Crota's) home was growing and the land was still young.

That being said, she also didn't feel threatened, not yet. Just entirely unsure of Iona and her intentions. She listens quietly to other's sudden statements about the purple stallion and with an arched brow she snorts gently in surprise. "Pompous, arrogant, takes lands from others?," she pauses for a moment, letting the description of the purple stallion, no that can't be right, purple king to set in. "It doesn't sound as though he is a good stallion to be searching after..." her voice trails off as she looks out over the hills, thinking about what the stallion who had been here before her must be like if he was truly as Iona described him.

"Thankfully you are right, he is nolonger here. He left and his leaving left an opportunity for my friends and I to make it into a home." She wonders temporarily if the purple king will return for what he left behind, but for now she knew she need not worry, for his scent hadn't traced across these hills for months. Turning back to face the mare, her bright blue eyes trace across the others features before she finally chooses to answer the other's question. "Something interesting, huh? Well I hate to disappoint, but right now we don't have anything interesting going on, not yet anyway. Right now we are just trying to fill this place with those who are willing to take a chance on it, though the winds of change sure have been stirring lately. I wouldn't be surprised if we headed in a new direction soon."

She doesn't know what is coming, but it's almost as though she can feel a hint of change in the air. She knows there is potential coming fast, and when it does she will welcome it with open arms so to say. She wants the change, she wants life to breathe itself into the hills and hopefully it would, sooner rather than later.

@[Iona]
    "Well, isn't that a shame?" Iona asked, obviously displeased with that answer. She'd been hoping for a little entertainment, but, for now at least, it didn't seem she'd get a lot of it. But, who knows? Like Crota was thinking, unknown to Iona, perhaps the stallion would return to try and reclaim this land. And that would definitely prove to be interesting, something Iona did not want to miss out on.

While this kingdom wasn't up to her hopes for now, she was tired of going through the others and being met with increasingly disappointing results. So, for now, she decided she'd ask to settle here, and hope each day for something exciting to happen to sate the adrenaline and bloodlust flowing in her veins.

She looked into Crota's eyes, "Thats not exactly what I wanted to hear, but, you know, this place seems quite lovely. I'm tired of going through the other kingdoms; they are too disappointing. Do you perhaps have a place for a horse like me here?" she asked, giving Crota an innocent smile, completely masking the madness hidden within.
    C R O T A

She's almost surprised at Iona's disappointment in their lack of activity. It wasn't that long ago that She, Spear and Caw had made the hills their home and it took work to get a homeland to pick up. Though, in all honesty, Iona was probably just as new to this as Crota was, and so she chose not to judge. For it was never her place and simply because she knew better than to do something such as that. Though she keeps a close eye on Iona nonetheless, for she is still not sure what the chocolate colored mare's intentions were.

From one moment to the next the other would be sweet as sugar and the next she would have a hint of mystery in her tone. She had heard of spies in the past, coming in to homelands to stir up trouble, find information. But though her hesitations danced around in her mind, she still could not judge the other. Maybe she was just different and that was no reason to dislike someone. Then again, was Crota even capable of that? Disliking someone? Who knows... That's something for them all to find out in time.

Her eyes match Iona's and while the other talks she nods softly. She knows it is not what many want to hear. Even she does not. But building something, like said earlier, took time. Ideas took many. And a home took multiple. It was something she could not do on her own, understandably.
    In other words, in took a village. "It is not what I like to hear myself," she cracks a small understandable smile across her lips. "I'm glad you find it to your liking, and though you are a bit strange," she pauses here, letting her smile turn friendly to show she meant no harm, "If you find it worth remaining in, I think you'd fit well here. Hopefully it will be up to your own standards in other ways, eventually of course."

"The hills have so many personalities, I think yours will do well here." The statement is as truthful as can be.
    This was meant to be a place for everyone to find solace. And so no matter how odd they might be, Crota wouldn't turn them away unless they proved to be a threat to the rest who lived here.

@[Iona] LOL I AM SORRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS D:
    Iona didn't find Crota calling her strange an insult. The flaxen mare knew she was on the more unusual side of her species, whether appearance-wise or mentally speaking. She may not acknowledge what was exactly wrong with her head, since she didn't know there was anything wrong with her to begin with. She just thought of herself as unusual, not mentally ill or anything of the matter. Yeah, she had odd tendencies and a personality that jumped back and forth like a frog hopping over lillypads, but that was what made her weird, strange, unique.

She honestly didn't care what others thought of her.

So, when Crota offered Iona a home here, among the Hills, the chocolate flaxen nodded whole-heartedly, "Then I'll accept your offer to stay here Crota. Thank you for inviting me in," she added, pretending to forget she'd been the one who had come here to seek a home in the first place.

The flaxen trotted around Crota, into the Hills territory, eager to explore it all. She glanced back at the leader, "Well, come on then. I'd like to see the place and I don't exactly know my way around yet," she joked.

OOC: If you'd like Crota, it can end here. Nothing much to do now.
    C R O T A

The strange, the weird, the unique. They were always the ones who had the largest chances of making an impression on the world. Those who stuck out, who didn't fit into the mold were usually the ones who made the most progress, who began the much needed changes. They may be crazy to many, but they become sane to the majority and there is something beautiful about that. How those who are disliked, can become the revered by doing something so good in return for the world.

Maybe that is why Crota is willing to give Iona a chance despite her hesitations and her inability to pinpoint exactly what it was that was going on with the mare within her mind. Iona made her nervous, but only slightly. Enough to keep her on her toes and watching carefully. Though in time, were Iona to prove she were no harm and gain Crota's trust, she was sure that the nervousness created would pass even with the chocolate mare's uneven mind.

For believe it or not, the uneven can sometimes make the best allies if you trust in them and treat them the same way you would treat anyone else. Maybe Iona was just another horse that needed the same respect and love that everyone else got despite her slightly cracked, yet quite interesting mind. Glancing over the chocolate mares thin yet delicately dished features she nods softly while smiling. "I am glad you are willing to stay, Iona! That pleases me!"

Like it did in the field when Sirana agreed to follow her here, her heart jumps in slight excitement. She is proud that her home is becoming worth the time to check out and remain within even if it is possibly temporary. It seems as though her efforts are finally paying off despite her lack of knowledge and experience to lead an entire land. Hopefully Hellbane though would be able to help her to learn and do it right. He was a strong stallion and she trusted his wealth of knowledge and experience to lead them in the right directions.

Watching the chocolate colored mare trot around her, she chuckled softly at the other's eagerness to explore their home. "I am glad to follow and show you around, Iona!"
    Her voice is light and airy, and for a moment her hesitation and nerves dissipate as her short legs move her forward into a short yet fluid trot. Soon she is next to the other and she is leading her through the rolling hills until they come upon some of the first patches of Cacti and Fern growing around the tall boulders poking out of the green landscape.

"It's strange isn't it, how they come from two wildly different places, yet here they grow together, almost as though they are one?" Her eyes glance over the two wildly different plant types before continuing. "Though as strange as it is, I love it. It is one of the things that drew me to make my home here."

@[Iona] Naw. We can continue, I don't mind! Iona is lovely <3