• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

kharon
    Okay. Meeting my kid, not really the time to be dwelling on his mom, or whether I’d fucked up hardcore with that last move, or how I’d hurt her trying to fix the way I’d already hurt her. Fuck. Yep, definitely need to put that out of my head and focus on a really big moment. So I take a deep breath, and I do something I do really damn well. I put it in a little box in my head labeled Kirby, you’re a dumbass, and I lock it up tight so I can give my full attention to meeting my son.

My very first, my only.

Oh hell unless--well my only for the moment. I did just bang his mom at a time when a baby sibling could be pretty likely. Hey, son, nice to meet you. How do you feel about the prospect of being a big brother? Real fuckin’ smooth, Kirb. Before I can kick myself too hard for my astonishing lack of ability to think ahead, he’s sneaking out of the thick jungley foliage and grinning up at me with a face that’s so much like mine it hurts in this amazing, chest-expanding, breath-stealing way I can’t even begin to explain.

“Well shit, you’re gorgeous.” I almost miss the bit where he can see me in his mom’s head sometimes, caught up in the sight of this glorious little miniature version of me, minus the weight of iron binding him to the earth, and with the addition of a couple of magnificent wings to lift him up into the sky. Almost, I almost miss it. Then the implication sets in, because sometimes I’m not an idiot. Only sometimes. “You...you can, huh?” Shit. Shit, that can’t be good. His mom can’t possibly have good memories of me, I know what I put her through. “If...well fuck. If you want to talk about what you see there, you ask me, okay? I’ll answer you honestly. Even if I don’t like it, I’ll always tell you the truth.”

Oh well holy damn. Kid’s full of surprises. Twins. “Kylin, huh? That’s a pretty name. She looks like you? Like me?” And just like that, my cringe at the thought of him seeing what I did to his mom is turning into something disturbingly resembling a dopey grin. “I can’t wait to meet her. And hey. No. Hold on a minute there, kiddo. That superpower brain of yours isn’t a bad thing. It’s a gift. Just like your awesome wings. And yeah, I love running on the water. Your sis must’ve gotten that from me. Which is pretty damn cool. I can also make things out of the same metal I’m made of. Reach into the earth and call it out to play, or pull it from myself if I need to. That and the water, those’re my gifts.

I tilt my head, looking at him with a serious expression my face isn’t much accustomed to. “Your mind’s just like that. It’s not good or bad by itself. It’s what you do with it that makes it good or bad. If you steal things out of people’s heads and use those things to hurt them on purpose? That’d be bad. Using it to say hey to your old man? Sounds pretty damn good to me, kid. Oh. Hey. You didn’t tell me your name.”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

Messages In This Thread
    kharon - by Kerberos - 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM
    RE: kharon - by Kharon - 04-16-2017, 01:09 AM
    RE: kharon - by Kerberos - 04-21-2017, 08:26 PM
    RE: kharon - by Kharon - 04-23-2017, 01:04 PM
    RE: kharon - by Kerberos - 05-05-2017, 10:01 PM
    RE: kharon - by Kharon - 05-16-2017, 10:53 PM
    RE: kharon - by Kerberos - 05-21-2017, 11:10 AM