• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

A pocketful of stones [ANY]
    hellbane
    It's always the same, I'm running towards nothing again
    He’d heard her mention of the hills when she’d ventured to the Meadow. A place for them to be safe, for once. A place for only them. Hellbane would have let her go at that, would have stepped quite casually back into the Forest where he blended seamlessly with rock and tree, melted like camouflage into the world around him, and forgotten all about her summons. But something irks him (something always irks him) and he finds instead that he’s passing his usual place of repose for a land he’s never seen - a land that’s, up until now, been barred for the rest of Beqanna. His pace is complacent, easy-going and without the need for any sort of hurry. The bay-and-woodsy green stallion has never had a reason to rush anyways. Certainly not ever.

He just can’t seem to get it out of his mind that the spotted mare is making a big mistake.

Eventually his travels wind down; the days of summer are ripe and the heat is never easy on a horse of his build. Sweat runs in dark streaks over his taught underbelly, in rivulets over the thick coils of muscle and hair that feather his trunk-like legs. It even pools beneath the mass of overgrown mane hanging limply to one side of his stout, wide neck. He cannot escape it, but he’s driven to see the task at hand finished so he doesn’t stop until twilight begins to shroud the sky, casting a long shadow beside him to keep him company when he finally does come to a halt near the borders of the varied, semi-empty land.

There are some here by the smell of things, but it could be filled with so much more. A smile, the words “Anyone here?” echoing over the tumble of rocks and brush while he waits with hushed anticipation. Hellbane can only hope he’s not come too late.
    An enemy who gets in, risks the danger of becoming a friend.
    He knew at some point, that others would come; drawn either by the spotted mare’s proclamation as he had been or because they happened upon the hills in the course of their own travels. The bay overo stallion doesn’t mind much but he likes the quiet that blankets the hills in the spotted mare’s absence; she is pleasant, quick to smile, and he likes her company but he likes the quiet more, it makes the wildness of the hills seem more present as the hares and other things come creeping out of them, unsure of the horses that claim this land as their own.

(He believes the hares have come tolerate him at least, they hop all around him whenever he grazes and he seems to have been eye-to-eye with a hare on more than one occasion now. What next, a bird hitching a ride on his back? It’s happened before, just not here.)

Spear slakes his thirst in just one of the plethora of springs that ribbon down the hilly landscape, and lifts his head from the crisp water as someone - a stallion, by the smell of him - calls out. “Over here,” he echoes back, as he maneuvers across the face of the hill to the one the stallion inhabits. He admits he is curious but not surprised that someone has come, was that not the point of the spotted mare coming and going so much? “I’m Spear,” he says by way of casual introduction, not taking the bay and green stallion for much of a threat but noticing that something about him seemed a bit… off.

“If you’re looking for Crota, she’s not here at the moment I don’t think.”
    He can’t be sure, he doesn’t keep tabs on her but he hasn’t seen her in a few hours and assumes that she has gone off like she always does, to bring more back with her.
    spear
    C R O T A

It takes time for her to make her way back from the meadow. Many of her days lately were spent searching for those who may like to take the same type of chance she was willing to take on with the hills. Though her efforts may not have generated the amount that she had hoped so far, she had luckily had Caw and Spear to support her in her claim and join her amongst the hills, helping it to grow and become something more than what it was now. Though while her first attempts of claim had come with simply making this land full of traitless only, she had come to feel as though that wasn't the right road to take. While they were trying to be different and trying to make a place for themselves despite their lack of abilities, she had the biggest inkling that there was a way to do it differently.

Slowly she steps into the hills, the soft wind that travels through and over the landscape wrapping around her gently in what seemed like a gentle welcome home. With the wind though came the scent of an unfamiliar horse and with a gentle turn of her head she began to scan the border for whoever it may be. It takes her a moment, but soon she spots the green and brown stallion standing with Spear. Crota had instantly taken a liking to the bay overo stallion when he had joined her and Caw in the hills and she was thankful that he was there. She honestly wasn't sure what she would do without him or Caw looking after the hills whenever she was gone.

While they conversed, she watched them for a while before finally deciding to turn towards them and make her way over. With short quiet steps, she allowed her short muscled legs to carry her towards the pair until finally she was close enough to step up next to Spear and come to a stop. Smiling up at them both she looks to Spear first, "Thank you, Spear, for looking after the hills while I have been gone." Her voice is gentle and kind as she addresses the other. Looking to their newcomer she lets her smile grow a bit wider. "I am Crota, and Spear was right. I wasn't here as I am constantly in search of newcomers. But I have returned for now." Pausing for a moment she lets her bright blue eyes wander over the beautiful green hair that made up his forelock and mane before speaking up once more. "Welcome to the hills. May I ask your name?"

hellbane
    It's always the same, I'm running towards nothing again
    “Over here…” The detached voice calls, leading Hellbane to turn his head in the direction from which it echoes across the scattering of boulders and varied plant life. It’s a response that draws a slow smile out from his dark lips, lifts one corner of his mouth with appreciation when the adjacent stallion comes fully into view. “Hellbane.” The muted bay answers in short reply, nodding casually in the manner that they’ve all come to expect as courtesy. There’s mention of a mare - Crota, (Hellbane thinks that is perhaps the spotted girl he’s been looking for) but Spear surmises that she’s away. “Busy gathering the building blocks, I understand.” He offers, letting his mouth hang open with the intention of continuing.

But, as luck would have it, Crota makes the appropriate appearance. She’s got the makings of a leader, he’ll admit to that, and her steely eyes betray her intentions while they rake across his two-toned face. There’s a grin for him and Hellbane returns it with equal enthusiasm, propping one hind leg up while the other three support his thick weight. “My name is Hellbane and I think that I can help you with the expansion concerns you’re having.” He tells her, chuckling softly as his words drift into silence.

“My brother and I had gained a flock of geese much like the ones you shelter here, but that was some time ago and there was no space for us in the wild expanses of Beqanna.” He explains, remembering the spattering of horses that had fallen in line with himself and Mortal in the Forest. “If you offer me a place here, I can do my best to bring them back.” Hellbane tells them, gold-flecked eyes glancing between the pair. “In return, I can offer my strength and guidance should you ask for it. My experience with Kingdoms and their workings stretches … very far back.” He tells them. It wouldn’t help to be long-winded about his past, this was all they needed to know and they could accept or reject as they saw fit.

Actions spoke louder than words anyways.
    C R O T A

It's his smile that draws  her in completely,
    pulling her away from her hesitations and wonders and before she knows it, she is responding to his gentle words and offerings of help. "Well Hellbane, I would like that very much. I am always open to another's help. For not just one can build a home. I have always believed it takes many strong patrons." She chuckles then, echoing his own soft chuckle before shifting her weight slightly and listening to the rest of what he had to say with a silent attentiveness.

He speaks of his little flock of geese, so to say, and it causes the corners of her lips to stretch upward and larger smile as she nods in understanding. She knows what it is like, to not have a place to go. To have to make home in places that are rather unusual compared to the rest until they are able to find something better, more suitable. Though it's his offer that makes her ears prick forward once more, her head tilting slightly as she considers it.

"I think your offer is a good one, Hellbane. You, like the others that come here, have every right to call this place your home and I offer that to you. I don't see any reason why I should turn you away," she looks over to Spear, "Wouldn't you agree, Spear?"  Glancing back to Hellbane, she nods softly in thought. "How about as part of this agreement,
    you lead, in a sense of course, beside me? I would consider you the light in this dark and not only would you be helping the rest, but helping myself to grow in the position I took on a bit impulsively."

She knows this is exactly what he meant, but she felt putting it into words through her own lips was the best way to do it. She didn't want any miscommunication. Glancing at Spear out of the corner of her eye, she wonders what he will think and she hopes that he will agree. They needed someone with the experience, there was nothing to say otherwise. For Crota was just as inexperienced as the others at this whole building a home thing.

@[Hellbane]
    @[Kristin]

Sorry about the wait! Wanted to give Kristin time to respond, then my week was super busy!
    Kristin, I saw you were on sporadic away and I hope you don't mind that I went ahead and responded! <3