• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

blue skies are coming; anyone

build me up from bones, wrap me up in skin
    hold me close enough to breathe me in

Home is lovely and lush and wonderful.

But it is also so terribly warm.  

Radiant runs carelessly through the field of thick grass that tickles her belly.  She thinks it is so much more enjoyable as a soft landing under her feet than sustenance in her belly, even if mother has started to teach her otherwise.  As her earliest days come to a close, she is becoming even more of a student of life.  She is learning why the sun follows her to sleep every night (that she shouldn’t be afraid of the dark, for the sun will always rise again).  She is learning the names of all the plants and animals that dig into and roam around Tephra.  She is learning to be apart from her parents (though this is her least favorite lesson of the bunch).  She is learning more and growing every day.  Dad will be proud.  

She is proud of herself, too.  Before, her fear of being alone would have kept her from such joyful pursuits as high-tailing it from one end of the kingdom to another.  But now, she feels only brief jolts of uncertainty when she realizes how far she’s gone.  If only it weren’t so hot!

The red filly pauses her dead run for a moment, sides quivering with spent effort.  She closes her eyes to the hot world and concentrates, takes a deep breath that will last for a spell.  Quickly, a thin sheet of unbroken ice glides along her body from her feet to the tips of her ears.  It stays whole for only as long as she has air in her lungs before it becomes stale enough to warrant a fresh breath.  She has time enough to open her eyes under her self-created screen, to see the odd tilt of the land and the bulbous volcano reshaped by her altered perception.  The ice shield shatters everywhere her body moves: her face, shoulders, hips.  Still, as it melts along the rest of her, she finds herself reasonably cooler.

With new air and a new smile, Radiant moves towards the normal-again volcano.  Her steps are less sure, though, quieter.  She’s been warned against playing anywhere near it, but she’s not a child anymore, is she?  And besides, as she’s just proven, she’s more than capable of taking care of herself.  What harm could come from the huffing, puffing giant mound?  Nothing a little ice and snow couldn’t take care of.

Radiant
    There's a heavy, leaden weight in Dahmer's chest today that he just can't shake. He had awoken to the foreboding feeling, perhaps the remnants of a nightmare that his mind had chosen to forget just as his blue eyes fluttered open, and it has slowly tugged the corners of his mouth further down as the hours have passed.

The black beast roams quietly through Tephra, his gait leisurely in hopes that the quiet time with nature will lift his spirits. It's autumn again, nearly marking another year spent in the eastern territory, but the climate is still cozily warm and just to Dahmer's liking.

And yet...

A fatigued sigh slips from the councilman's lips as he amends his route and heads nearer to the volcano. The sun hangs high overhead, glinting off his sleek black coat and shining across the long, swaying grasses. The verdant field is, perhaps, his favorite part of Tephra - aside from it's peafowl Queen - it is quite like the fields of Kusheth he had snuck into during his youth.

The sound of small hooves beating against the soft earth breaks the silence and Dahmer turns his blue-eyed gaze towards the sound. A roan filly streaks through the grass, a red blur as she weaves through grass and between lava streams. Her coat is damp but the joy is evident on her face, and Dahmer chuckles for the first time all day as she slams to a stop.

She's sudden encased in ice, shining brightly beneath the sun, and then it melts away as quickly as it had come. "That's a fun trick," he calls as she starts to move closer to the volcano, "think you could teach me?" Dahmer smiles warmly at the filly and comes to a halt, his tail waving occasionally at his hocks.

D A H M E R
    break some bread
    for all my sins