• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  you could be the king but watch the queen conquer [any]
    YOU COULD BE THE KING BUT WATCH THE QUEEN CONQUER
    The tides of change were eminent and rather than stay hidden away from the world it was time she became one of those things. Year after year she watches from afar, timidly as they all pass through on their individual journeys but she'd never felt compelled to join. The pale woman had a quiet defiance against the flow of the tide but eventually even the strongest wear thin. She feels as though she's been in hiding but there's no probable cause other than paranoia perhaps. Breeding season had just come to a close and thus she felt at ease strolling through the fields. The summer heat would soon swallow Beqanna as a whole, even those close to the bodies of water would swelter and so bittersweet this time has come to her.

Her orange eyes scan loosely as she grazes lackadaisically throughout the area and her ears perking only momentarily as a filed mouse enters her view. What a simple life she has, she thinks but she is internally curious about the world outside. She would not be a warrior's pick out of the gates - her muscles were not prominent, there had been no show cause of training, and her build was rather petite due to her Arabian blood. She didn't bubble at the sight of others, nor did she find herself reaching out for the company; she was content just being. And even in her bold approach to the open fields she wouldn't be considered searching - it mattered not to her if she became something great or remained the same.

The great thing about being no one was having no one to impress.

T   E   M   P   L   E   S

I have someone in Tephra, otherwise it's fair game! Big Grin
    He’d been.. What had he been doing? The meadow, he thought. He’d been taking Polaris to the meadow to play. Little girls needed sunshine and adventure.

Now he stood in front of a stranger, a woman. His brows softly pinched in quiet puzzlement, ice-blue eyes bright with the Winter magic that surrounded him in a cold snap, his breath fogging in the chill of it. Why was he here before her, drawn to this woman? She wasn’t what he usually watched for the rare times he actually showed his face in the field. Not built for fighting, for defending their forest as the others were expected to. Not helpless or dependent, the type he so rarely brought home to offer his protection.

Like Polaris, the tiny girl made of glass standing at his left hip that he’d found abandoned in the forest, taken home to raise as his own. She lipped at his back leg just then, waking him from his thoughts.

Awkwardly intense and staring. Perfect.
    Sounded about right.

His jaw twitched as it tightened, annoyed with himself though he silently renewed his daughter’s little diamonds of ice, embedded in the nicks and pocks carved out of her near-transparent surface. He could have hidden them, could have filled them in with smoothed ice to match her glass. He’d rather teach her to embrace who she was. Her flaws made her beautiful. Perfectly unique.

His own only made him so strange.

”Ruan,” he offered, his voice the deep rumble of a distant avalanche. He tried for a smile, a ghost of a thing that probably looked more like a grimace. Damn, diplomacy would never be something he would be good at. His friendliness used to be so easy, so effortless to wear a smile. Now it was closest to the surface only when his daughters were at his side. ”Polaris,” he added, instantly warmed with quiet affection as he introduced his little companion. So often, he believed he might need her more than she needed him. A star to guide him through the darkness.

"We're from the Taiga." A forest, he didn't add. She would smell it on them, and he wasn't one to waste breath on useless small talk. He waited a moment for her name in return before continuing. "What makes a place home to you?" Because they only ever came to this field for one purpose. And some required more than a place to sleep and food to eat. They didn't make a habit of bringing just anyone home to their forest, and it would be an opportunity to get a sense of who she was.

YOU COULD BE THE KING BUT WATCH THE QUEEN CONQUER
    The orange eyed mare is taken back as she watches a stallion approach, a filly at his haunches - she assumes they're passing through so she continued to graze. Still yet, they draw closer but no fear courses across her and no sense of urgency. Although she was not a warrior by any means, she was not helpless - she was the daughter of the sly magician, Harmonia and a warrior father after all. You learn a thing or two along the way whether you want to or not. She notes the child first, ice eyes and gives a gentle smile - children were not evil, at least by their own accord but she doesn't address the stallion just yet. The spotted man had asked a question that she wasn't sure how to respond to and he had this feeling about him that he was used to being answered promptly. Temples was not an obedient dog but she was not often rude per say - just calculating.

"Hi Polaris, I'm Temples," even though she had never had children - she always found them to be a bright spot in life. Watching them learn, grow, and become something was interesting to her. Just watching people was interesting to her, observation was something she was good at. The palomino veered to the left as she cocked her back leg and lifted her head, straw colored grass coming from either side. "Well, Ruan - I wouldn't say I've ever had a proper 'home' that you speak of. My mother was a bit preoccupied with other things, so I've mostly lived on the land in peace. What makes you think I am seeking a home? Could it be possible I am simply enjoying grass that's been untouched for a few weeks?" she had taken a much different path than her brother, Sloan. While he had dreams of being a King, which he fulfilled, she could care less about titles or formalities. "Interesting concept it seems, though. Taiga, what is it you do there? What is home to you?" she inquisitively asks, a small curl of her lips offered as her orange eyes rest on his. She wasn't usually this talkative but after at least three years of silence she found herself wanting companionship. Even if it was for a short while.

The butter mare then winks at Polaris as she waits, picking up another mouthful of grass - she was hungry, above all else. 

T   E   M   P   L   E   S

@[Ruan]
    She was calm and steady, even as her full attention was directed to the little girl at his side. Polaris was certainly distracting, a child made entirely of glass so gleaming and enchanting with a softly glowing personality to match. He'd never seen anyone like her, and assumed she may be as rare to the rest of the world as she was to him. She was naturally a bit cautious of strangers though, especially ones that she knew were also strangers to Ruan, and she stayed firmly against his leg as the woman introduced herself. Temples. Then, the woman's attention came around to him as she answered.

"Well, Ruan - I wouldn't say I've ever had a proper 'home' that you speak of.."

He nodded as she continued. Her mother had been busy and she'd lived in peace. "What makes you think I am seeking a home? Could it be possible I am simply enjoying grass that's been untouched for a few weeks?"

A wolfish sort of grin tipped up one corner of his mouth, and his shoulder rolled in a casual shrug. "I've found that people consistently only come here for one thing: to find a place to stay and call home." He supposed it could be possible she was there only to eat, though he had always found the Field to be trampled by the many feet passing through; leaders, diplomats, wanderers. A great number of people. But he didn't note that aloud, and instead apologized. "I'm sorry if I assumed incorrectly. It's simply how it's only ever been for me, though I suppose I don't venture here often at all." He shrugged again, still smiling as he watched her gather up more to eat.

"Interesting concept it seems, though. Taiga, what is it you do there? What is home to you?"

"I... I've had different titles given for the same position, I suppose," he admitted. Caretaker of the forest had been the first, he thought. He'd snuffed "king" as quickly as he could. "The latest is possibly Alpha of the pack." There were probably other titles that he hadn't heard, though, since he insists they simply call him by his name. Yes, even the shape-shifters with their hearts as wild and respectful as his.

"I protect the forest, but then, so do most the others. All save for the defenseless, of course. I bring in new people, rarely, when I find someone that I feel might strengthen the family, the unit. And, again, so do the others when they see fit." Equals. His defenseless, like fragile Polaris at his side, often turned out to be the better strength, the most powerful pieces of their home with their endless love and loyalty. He held himself to the same expectations of the each member that called the Taiga home, a deep-rooted equality at their forest's center. But he certainly didn't hold them to the same expectations he had for himself.

"We don't keep ranks. No one is better than anyone else." Might as well cut to the chase there; they weren't interested in anyone only wanting to climb the ranks.

And besides, they didn't have enough living day-to-day within the Taiga and not venturing out to explore on a daily basis to require titles be created. There was simply no one deserving of a special title or recognition, and he didn't believe in having ranks simply to be filled. If they needed them one day, then maybe they would create them, but until then, they were all equal and he was more than content to keep it that way. It seemed to wheedle out the greedy and power-hungry fairly successfully, and he most definitely didn't care for those types and didn't want them in their balanced unit of strong hearts.

"So. Taiga is home. Everything it represents is home. Loyalty. Family. Protection. Love. Honesty." Everything that they'd made it.

"Does it sound like home to you?" he asked with a curious tilt to his dark head, looking just a little like the wolf he used to be.