• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

enfys
    Since the day Jinju had brought her home, he'd been careful not to pressure her with his constant presence. She'd cried. She'd ducked her head and cried when she saw him.

So, he tried to give her a little space, allow her to get comfortable in her new home. He could only hope she would come to love their forest as they did. With Jinju always available to help her, always around to answer questions or even to fetch him if she decided she wanted to see him more, she was welcomed into their home as if she had been born there. As she should have been.

"Enfys," he called quietly, steady gaze watching her as he paused a careful distance away. He wanted to know his daughter. He'd already missed so much of her life without knowing she even existed, he couldn't miss any more. With his son gone, she was his only child by blood. So many, they had adopted over the years, beginning with Jinju. He couldn't help but have a quiet concern that she, too, would be lost from him. His only child.

"Would you like to join me at the creek today," he asked her, the blue of his eyes seeking the blue of hers. His magic was mostly contained today, a little calmer than usual, perhaps. He wanted to wait until she approached him on her own. His fear that one day he would wake and he'd never see her again pushed him to come to her instead. Maybe he should have waited, but he wasn't backing down now. He wanted to know his daughter. Family was everything to him.

"I.. can get Jinju if you'd prefer to go with her." He'd left Polaris with her eldest sister, but he knew his daughter of fire would be here for Enfys in a heartbeat if she would prefer her company. All he had to do was call for her. All she had to do was ask. "I thought you might like some company when you explore today." He waited patiently to see how she responded to him, waited for her decision.

I hope this is okay.. He had to be a bit vague on their current relationship since their other thread is still ongoing, so it is tricky to write it. xD But I promised a thread for them, and I wanted to get it up before I head out of town <3

enfys
    just stop your crying, it's a sign of the times
    She flittered, twinkling on her ice points as her cold breath whirled around her, causing her to skate effortlessly on the land as she crossed it. Her sister was somewhere, probably with her own life—they were all busy, so scattered—and that left the growing girl with her father. A fog settled in and they wove their way through the trees silently. Companionably, almost.

Things were so awkward. He was so quiet. She had learned in these last months that she had a rather large family. Several sisters, and one brother. She had come to understand that her mother had planned to leave her with Jinju. Came to understand it. It did not make her like it any less, but such that things were, she would learn to be happy. She was determined to be happier than her parents.

Who both appeared to be miserable.

And so, when her father asks her to join him at the creek, she says nothing. Her bright blue eyes look at him, her ears rotating forward, and she nods simply, getting up from her place underneath a redwood tree and heading towards the small riverway that bisected the Taiga into two parts. This was part of the forest she was familiar with. These were lands that smelled familiar to her, and near where she and her mother had lived until…

Until it had all gone wrong.

Too much time spent alone, bottling up. Reagan had snapped, and there was nothing that poor little Enfys could do but watch.

The small grey lady’s thoughts are on her mother as she looks down at the ground, following her father’s trail to the creek bed. And there she stares at the babbling brook, watching the minnows swim their way aimlessly through the world, wondering if their lives were any simpler than hers.

The unwanted child.

What a life.
    She was quiet. So quiet.
    She must have gotten that from him.

All she did was nod. He sighed inwardly. He hated the strange tension, the feeling that she was uncomfortable being around him. It felt like rejection, and yet she was still here. And yet she still walked with him. Did she even want to, though? Or did she feel somehow obligated to join him? He wished he could ask Jinju how she's been, but he'd left little Polaris in her care so he could be alone with his baby girl.

He wished he could ask her how she's been, but would she even tell him?
    Or was she like him. Would he only get a weak smile and polite answer?

They walked in a steady quiet. She didn't speak, he didn't either. Perhaps she was as buried in her thoughts as he was. Maybe she was like him. All he could think of was her. If she liked him, if she hated him. If she hated it here. He did hate. He hated that she wasn't born at home, that he'd missed the first of her life. That they were in this awkward place with each other. He frowned. It had never been awkward with Jinju as a child. Nor with Heda. Nor with any of the others adopted and brought home, usually just about the same age she was now. So then why--?

Oh.
    Right.

Doing this alone maybe wasn't as simple as when they'd all been a family. She still had a mom, her mom just wasn't here. Didn't want her? No, Jinju had found her wandering, not purposefully dropped at their doorstep. Still, her mother never came for their baby. He sighed. They'd reached the little creek and she was staring in the water, her beautiful purple-wreathed head nearly hanging. Would he ever be enough for her? He hadn't been enough before. Could he ever make her happy? He lowered to kneel at her side, then lower still as his legs folded beneath him.

"Enfys.." he said softly, reaching to lip sweetly at her front leg. His heart was cautious, afraid to be hurt and rejected, but his movements were as steady and sure as he always was. He wanted her happy. Happy and with him, if it were possible. "Is there anything you want?" He drew his mouth carefully to her shoulder with light little kisses, before pulling back to search those brilliant, blue eyes of hers.

"Is there anything I can do for you, do with you, that might win me one of those rare smiles?" He stretched to gingerly tap the corner of her mouth with his nose, as if he could coax one to crinkle there just by touching.

How he wished he could.