• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

close your eyes and make a wish; iri
    Oh, it was a day for a ‘venture. Kali could feel it in her bones, tickling underneath her skin, dancing in her belly like flutteries trapped inside and trying to get out. She’d felt it the first time Daddy had taken her across the water, teaching her how to walk on top like him and Khari could do, and Kylie too. They’d had such fun, and met a new friend and ever since, those happy little flutteries would tell her when it was time to go ‘sploring.

Except most times she brought Daddy too, or Khari, or even both. But today, Daddy and Khari were off somewhere doing secret boy things, and Kali was too little and a girl so she didn’t get to go with. Which was just silly. Girls could do anything boys could do, Mommy said so, and Daddy even said she was right. So fine. If she didn’t get to go on their ‘venture, she’d go on her own!

The water was too high to take Mommy or Papa Reilly with, and Kylie was sad about something and Kali didn’t want a sad ‘venture. So she sneaked away, telling Mommy she was gonna to play with Papa Reilly. Which she would! It wasn’t a lie! She just...um, would maybe take a while to GET there was all! Peeking over her shoulder to make sure nobody was looking, she bounced off the beach and onto the water, hopping from wave to wave and stealing away to the mainland.

Hmm. If she went up, up, up and around the shore, she could probably find the pretty lake Daddy and Khari took her to, the one where her shiny new friend lived with the pretty colors and the pretty scales. But no, today was a day for a new ‘venture, so she went the other way, following the water into a funny, jaggedy little bay and then up a river. Oooh, and rivers were fun, but maybe more fun going the way they were flowing. Which meant going home was gonna be lots of fun, right? Right! Still, running upstream was hard work, and it wasn’t long ‘til Kali was huffing and puffing and angling toward shore. When she got there, she gasped for breath and flopped over, breathing hard and grinning up at the big blue sky.

Probably she’d just need a minute or two to catch her breath, and then she’d see what that tingly fluttery feeling was about, yeah? Just a teensy minute of panting, of burning lungs and burning legs, and then she’d drag herself back to her feet to ‘splore.
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl

@[Iri]
    Oh, goodness, she was tired! Rivers were hard! Still, riding this one back to the ocean was gonna be fun, no doubt about it. Kali lay on the shore, panting and grinning and staring up at the sky, ‘til a voice interrupted her. “H-hey, hey you!” Oooooh, a new friend? Kali thought about sitting up, but her legs felt all wobbly and tiiiiired and didn’t want to cooperate. Instead, she just craned her head around to look, and by the time she managed it, her very newest best friend was right in her face. “H-how did yah do that?”

“Ohhh hi there! Hey, you have pretty eyes, you know that? I’m Kali, what’s your name? Gimme a minute, I’ll get up once my legs are less jelly. Running against the current is harder than I thought!” Kali let her head drop back down to the ground and wiggled her legs experimentally. Nope. Gloopy as puck. No wait, that didn’t sound quite right. Oh well. “How’d I do what? OH! The on the water thing? I’unno, I just do. I can, an’ my Daddy can, an’ my big brother Khari, an’ my big sister Kylie. Not my mommy though. Or my Papa Reilly, or my little big brother Baddie. I’d teach you, but I think it’s a thing you gotsta be able to do. Here! Maybe though! Maybe you can, and you just don’ know it yet!”

Just like that, she suddenly had enough energy to scrabble to her feet, catching herself when she wobbled, even. “C’mere, you can try, and we can find out. It’s not scary at the edges here, even if the river moves fast in the middle. We could try, if you want!” Of course she wanted, though, right? How could she not? It was great fun! Kali grinned over her shoulder at her new brand new friend.

“C’mon, you just put your foot out and you feel the top of the water, right?” She reached out for the surface of the water and just dipped the edge in, letting the water tickle the sensitive under bit that wasn’t all wrapped up in hoofness. “And instead of sinking into it like this,” she went on, letting her hoof sink into the water ‘til she was touching the bottom, “you just keep it on the top!” Pulling her hoof back out, she hopped up onto the top of the water and turned around to grin at New Friend. “Easy peasy! Um, except unless if it isn’t. But you don’t know ‘til you try, right?”
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl