• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Come And See If You Like It (Giohde, Any)
    Following Aten's encounter with the dun paint mare, Giohde, and her stating she'd like to check out what the Taiga was like, Aten offered for her to follow and return to the kingdom with him. Even if she didn't appreciate what the Taiga had to offer, saying it wouldn't make a good home, Aten was still happy she was taking it into consideration. It meant she was open to the possibility at least, of perhaps joining the peaceful kingdom and meeting all of the others, including some of Aten's close friends.

So, with the mare in tow, Aten departed the Field and began the journey back to Taiga. Along the way, he made small conversation, or tried to depending on if it seemed like the mare wanted to talk. Simple stuff really, asking her about where she's been in Beqanna, what kind of places she's seen, or what she liked to do in her free time. Somewhat of an odd question, but Aten's dam's friend Raxa enjoyed running a lot, so perhaps Giohde liked that too.

Since they were coming from the south side, passing through the Forest, the two horses would have to cross a river to get into the Taiga territory. Aten didn't know it as well as some of his other Taiga kingdom friends, like Jinju or Ruan, but he figured enough of the river out that he knew where some shallow points were. Or at least, shallow enough that the current wasn't strong enough to make a horse slip and knock it off its hooves.

So they wouldn't waste time, Aten led the way through the forest, already heading in the direction of a shallow section of the river. Once they arrived, the golden stallion edged his way to the bank, lowering his head to check the current just in case. Everything seemed fine, so Aten motioned with his head, indicating that it was safe for Giohde to cross here. The stallion waded into the river, ignoring the frigid sensation spreading across his pasterns and hooves.

When he stepped into the river, his front hooves began flaming with pain. The scars were no longer fresh, but having a chill like that against bare skin was no easy matter to deal with. He couldn't stop now though, and he definitely couldn't risk slipping. Aten forced himself the rest of the way across the river, grateful when he finally reached the other side and could step out.

The stallion lifted his front hooves and shook them a few times to try and bring some warmth back to his lower legs. He waited for Giohde to cross, a friendly smile on his face for when she reached the other side. Since the river technically marked Taiga's border from the Forest, they had already entered. There wasn't a lot to see from this angle, as the view from the trees was much prettier, but a long green meadow stretched out in front of them, definitely a sight for those who hadn't seen it before.

"Sorry about the river; it gets much colder in the autumn and winter seasons," he offered sheepishly, giving the mare an apologetic look. He turned his gaze out to the meadow for a moment, to indicate where she should look if she wanted to see Taiga's beauty, before he asked of her,

"You can't see everything from here, but I'd be more than happy to show you around," he told her. "What do you think?"

@[Giohde]
    Jinju
    Once made a promise, she wouldn’t break it. And that meant that Jinju was ‘stuck’ in the Taiga. Not something she would really complain about, the redwood forest was still big enough to wander and she truly enjoyed spending time at home. Home sweet home. But sometimes she longs to go out too, missing the thrill of wandering and not knowing who you would bump into.

Luckily for Jinju Aten brings such a stranger home. Not for her, of course, but it surely offers her the distraction she desperately needed now. Her swollen barrel not stopping her. After all, pregnant or not, she still had a duty to the Taiga. Or that is the excuse that Jinju would use anyway.

She watched them cross the river. Aten first and Jinju doesn’t like to see the pain in her friend’s face, it leaves her frowning. The dun paint mare follows next. Jinju lingers in the shades for a moment longer, before stepping forward. ”Need some help warming up?” she teases them with a grin, ruby eyes flaring a short moment before settling for a calm shimmer. A smile lies on her lips as she finds the mare’s gaze, dipping her head slight. ”I’m Jinju. Welcome to the Taiga.”

Jinju then moves to Aten’s side, her muzzle brushing over his shoulder. Standing this close her body heat would warm his skin, hopefully it would sooth a little after the coolness of the water. Curiously she turns to look at the mare again, ears pinning forward. ”Are you a friend of Aten’s, coming for a  visit?”
    It seemed the welcoming committee was in today, though not the one Aten expected at first. Thinking it would have been Ruan coming to greet the new mare as he had last time when Aten brought a dappled mare to the Taiga, the golden stallion turned and prepared to greet his leader. However, when it was Jinju's black coated form that materialized from the shadows, and not that of the spotted stallion, Aten just barely controlled his reaction and gave the leader's daughter a respectful dip of his head.

Whether they were close friends or not, Jinju was Ruan's daughter. Aten had been taught to always respect those of a higher ranking than him. Yes, he'd taken it a step too far and sometimes done that with his own parents, but they did have higher positions in the Falls' hierarchy before the Reckoning changed everything. Old habits died hard, he guessed.

The ruby-eyed mare flashed a flaring look before her emotions settled again, speaking in a joking manner in regards to the frigid river water before offering her welcome to the Taiga while looking at the painted mare. Then, she moved to Aten's side, something the stallion definitely didn't expect.

To heck with that, he really didn't expect her to brush her muzzle over his shoulder the way she did. Or how close she was standing, though Aten didn't necessarily mind. Though the river water had only gone up to his fetlocks at the deepest point, its icy current had chilled the stallion all the way up to his spine and back down. So yes, it helped having Jinju there to share her warmth and chase the cold feeling away.

Though Aten was sure to still respect her space, even if Jinju didn't. Another thing he'd been taught was to be mindful of those around him at all times, to be aware of things that they might not be concerned with. And with Jinju's swollen belly carrying the foal of another stallion, Aten didn't want to do anything that might upset and/or offend her and get those teeth and hooves of hers turned on him.

So, instead, the golden stallion turned his attention to Giohde, wanting to give her the chance to answer the question Jinju inquired about rather than state her business here like a nosy foal.

Delicate things are pretty - cute, even,
    but you are not delicate.
    You are wild and lewd and unpredictable.
    You are breathtaking.
    You are beautiful.

The trip from field to Taiga is not a long one. Indeed, I’m just feeling as though my muscles have barely warmed up when we reach the banks of the river separating forest from kingdom. My odd, curious gaze jumps here and there, ever seeking, ever watching. I’ve been along this edge of the forest a time or two, but I’ve never ventured across the waters. I’ve never been a terribly adventuresome sort, happy with my quiet little life in forest and meadow. A few friends here and there, a belly full of grass and a place to lay my head was all I needed. The only thing that had been missing was any sort of permanency. In a life like that, all the good sleeping spots are always taken, and one can never be sure where one might end up at any point during the day.

I crave normalcy, and that is what had led me to the field. To seek a home amongst the varied kingdoms of Beqanna.

And now, here I am, sloshing my way across the shallow river into the outer edges of Taiga. A small, unconscious smile lights my features as I peer curiously, one ear tipped to listen to Aten’s words. I grin, my gaze jumping to him as I shrug my shoulders (at least, as well as any equine can shrug their shoulders). “Oh, it’s just a river,” I quip brightly. “I’ve been through much worse.”

Then he is offering to show my around and I nod vigorously, my amber eyes shining brightly. “I’d love to see… Oh, hello.” I drift off distractedly as my gaze catches upon a dark figure emerging from the trees. An obviously very, very pregnant figure. Oh dear, she does rather look like she is about to pop at any moment.

I’m a bit distracted, so it takes me a moment to realize she had offered me a greeting and is asking me a question. “Oh, well, thank you. Yes, I suppose that I am. I’m Giohde, by the way. It’s very nice to meet you.”

I pause for a moment, staring at her with what I imagine is a rather quizzical expression on my face. “Shouldn’t you, er, be resting, or something? I mean, well, er, that’s not to say… but that just looks rather exhausting.” Cutting myself off, I offer her a rather sheepish look. I’m usually not so tongue-tied or, well, rude. I guess today is just a rather off day for me. Or maybe I just haven’t met enough pregnant horses.

Giohde

Jinju
    Her pregnancy did things with her. One moment she preferred to be alone and even the lightest brush would send her over the edge. And in another she just wanted to be held close, get confidence and security out of a lingering touch. As if it would tell her that she wasn’t alone and there were others that got her back. Right now Jinju had just felt like greeting her friend with a friendly touch, which she also used to send some warmth through his body.

Just like that Jinju steps aside again, following Aten’s gaze to their visitor. Her question isn’t answered right away, as the two toned white and bay dun mare’s attention was on her rounded stomach. It doesn’t offend her, in fact, Jinju even grins slightly. Her thick black tail flicks through the air as her ruby eyes light up amused. ”It’s nice to meet you too, Giohde” she replies as the other mare pauses.

She chuckles softly and she would’ve shrugged her shoulders if it had been possible. Yes, she was fat and large and more than done with her pregnancy, but that didn’t mean she would lounging and doing nothing all day. ”It is, very exhausting even” she replies, stepping further away from Aten’s side towards their visitor. She extends her neck, offering her nose towards Giohde, but never pushing too far. She wouldn’t be offended if the greeting wouldn’t be accepted.

When she pulls back, ruby eyes searches amber ones. Jinju is still smiling, a slight nonchalance in the way she holds herself. ”Taking it easy would bore me to death” she shares, only glancing over her shoulder to look at Aten for a short moment, giving him an apologetic grin. Just as her father he seemed quite set on keeping her and the baby safe. Even if it wasn’t his. ”I’ve promised to not leave Taiga, but that doesn’t mean I can’t come to greet a new face, right?”

With that she draws back, turning half way to look at the champagne stallion that had brought Giohde to their home, probably with a plan in mind. ”I heard something about a tour, did I not?” she pauses and her gaze travels from one to the other. ”What did you first want to show, Aten?” Yeah she had barged in, but in the end, it was his ‘party’.