• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

close your eyes and make a wish; khari [M]
    Something happened that she didn’t see, something behind his eyes that shuttered and pulled him out of the moment that was stretching between them. She tilted her head, her brow wrinkling just a little as she watched him pull back, watched him look away and settle his wings against his body. Closed off, the way he got sometimes.

That he spoke out loud confirmed it, and she frowned, confused. “Okay, Khari,” she said softly, trying to puzzle out what she’d missed. Are you okay? She didn’t mean to ask it, not quite, but she worried just a little when he did that. It wasn’t always, but sometimes when they spent time like this, when they were soft and close and together, he’d shut off like that. So fast it left her reeling a little with the change.

You can talk to me, if you want. She wanted to reach out and touch him, bump her nose against him, ruffle his hair, but it felt less welcome somehow. Instead, she followed his lead, drawing herself up and looking out at the ocean. “We can walk toward the river, if...I mean, if that’s what you want to do.” The words were soft, her certainty chased away by the sudden change in him. “Or we could go farther. Maybe there’s another island out there that we haven’t seen yet.”
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl
    let my eyes be the rhythm, let my mind be your freedom

He heard her confusion, heard her thoughts, too. Tried to ignore both. Okay, she said softly before slipping into their familiar silent speech again. He still stared out, not really seeing anything, his thoughts tangled and hurting. Are you okay? He hesitated. Then nodded shortly.

You can talk to me, if you want, she offered. I can't, he thought back. Everything suddenly felt so heavy, too much weight bearing down on him. A strange pain started in his back, a clutching grasp around his chest and squeezing. He wanted things he couldn't have, things he shouldn't want. Maybe he should go back and find Kylin. No, that felt painful too. Maybe he should just go off somewhere and be alone.

Maybe he should always be alone.

"We can walk toward the river, if... I mean, if that's what you want to do." It wasn't. It definitely wasn't. But he couldn't do the things he wanted. He couldn't lose his dad. Pain, sharp blades in his chest. His jaw clenched and his eyes were as bare and conflicted as he was. Vulnerable. He was the brother -brother- he wasn't meant to be vulnerable.

He swallowed and stood, his shoulders wilted and heavy, still staring out so far away from their island. Wishing things could be different. "Or we could go farther. Maybe there's another island out there that we haven't seen yet." He looked at her, expressionless. Like Mother. She'd wanted to go to the river, though. He should take her to the river.

But out there, it was tempting, and his gaze slid back to it, where the sky met the sea. Out there, where no one could find them. Where no one would see, no one had to know. Where he could be free to be himself. His grandfather. She probably didn't want it though, not like Kylin did. She didn't really understand. He clenched his teeth again, but knew he wanted to go anyway. "Let's go farther." And he started walking with his wings folded at his sides, trying to focus on the sun warming his damp skin from where he'd laid on the water with her.

Quotes are speech. Italics are telepathy
    I can’t. There was pain in those two little words, heartache that made her own ache for him in return. She watched the muscles in his jaw tighten, saw the warring in his eyes, and made her choice. “Farther,” she agreed, rising to walk alongside him.

He held his wings tight to his body instead of lifted in invitation, so she gave him the space he needed to work through whatever was bothering him. Whatever was hurting him so. She walked in silence, feeling the water beneath her feet, the sun shining down and warming her skin, the wind keeping the sun’s heat in check and cooling her, tangling in her hair and carrying the scent of the sea.

Funny, how long it took to leave their island behind, to walk so far it wasn’t even a smudge on the edge of the horizon. So much faster to reach the mainland. Kali didn’t think she’d ever been quite so far out. You can, you know. she thought softly, reaching out to touch the velvet of her nose against his cheek. You can talk to me. Whatever it is, you don’t have to be alone in it.

She sighed, pressing her face into the crook of his neck. “Or if you’d rather, we can talk about anything you want. Do anything you want. Just be here with me, okay?” His sorrow made her heart hurt, and all she wanted was to chase it away. With a smile, a game, a laugh, anything to ease the pain in his eyes. She turned to face him, stepping into him until their chests pressed together, and draped her neck over his shoulders to pull him into a hug. It’s going to be okay, Khari.
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl

"Farther," she agreed, and they walked in silence. He didn't lift his wing for her, and she didn't ask him to. She gave him space, let him twist and tangle in his thoughts. This sucked. Maybe he was being responsible, though. Maybe Dad would have been proud or something. But it definitely sucked.

You can, you know, she sent so gently, reaching to touch his cheek. The contact softened the hard stare of his eyes and he shifted a little closer, brushing his lips across that velvet nose. He couldn't talk to her about it, he definitely couldn't. But she didn't understand that, of course. And he wouldn't tell her. She would think less of him, and he wouldn't be able to avoid hearing it. You can talk to me. Whatever it is, you don't have to be alone in it.

She sighed and pressed her face into his neck. He wished it didn't feel so good. So perfect. "Or if you'd rather, we can talk about anything you want. Do anything you want. Just be here with me, okay?" He nodded, but he wasn't sure she saw it as she stepped in front of him, making him stop. Then she was there against his chest, hugging him to her with her head over his shoulders.

He was stiff at first. Then his tension fell away, slid down his legs and into the sea just as the water had. He sighed quietly and pulled her closer too, held her tighter. Still wishing he could have more. She was so beautiful. Kylin, too. He loved how she cared for him, though. How his happiness was suddenly the only thing that mattered to her. He was so stupid. He'd ruined her day out. It's going to be okay, Khari.

I'm sorry, Kali, he sighed, twisting his hold on her to drape his foreleg over her shoulders and bury his face against her neck. His forehead rubbed into her, and he breathed her scent so deeply, letting it soothe his nerves. He lifted his head and pushed his chest to her shoulder, nibbling through her hair and at the roots. I didn't mean to mess up our day. I don't mean to go distant like that. Come on, we'll do whatever you want now. You're in charge. He smiled, nipping lightly at her neck.

It took a few minutes, but gradually he relaxed against her, letting out a little sigh and hugging her back. She squeezed him a little harder, rubbing circles on his upper back the way Mom and Dad did any time she was sad. I’m here. Everything’s going to be okay. She just held him, letting him breathe her in.

He sighed again and apologized, holding her closer still and snuggling his face into her neck. She relaxed as he did, melting back into him, a quiet little smile playing at one corner of her mouth as the world started to right itself. It’s okay, Khari. Nothing’s messed up, definitely not our day. I love spending time with you, no matter what we do or where we go or how we feel. Okay? She reached up to press her lips to his neck, to nuzzle him with the soft of her nose and offer what comfort she could.

Kali smiled up at him, laughing as he nipped her neck. I’m in charge, huh? she asked, mischief creeping into her eyes. Then I think it’s time for a new game, since I won our last one. She pressed closer, cuddling into him just a moment longer. One last nuzzle, a brush of the top of her nose against his chin, and then she pushed off, racing across the waves. Your turn to chase, Khari. Think you can catch me?
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl

It felt so, so good pressed against her. She reassured him more, and he hated that she'd needed to. God, he was so stupid. But Dad would have been happy. He was still doing good. Still holding back from kissing on her neck every time he leaned in close, from pushing more of himself against her or kissing her face. Damn, but he still wanted to.

He was doing good though.
    It just sucked. Dad would be pleased.

She relaxed with him, just as he did, and was smiling again. It's okay, Khari, she told him, promising he hadn't messed up their day after all. He leaned against her more, feeling the warmth of her skin and soaking it in. She reached then, pressing her lips to his neck and sending little ripples of electricity through to his shoulders, brushing her nose against him. He forced out a stuttering sigh. He liked that too much, too.

She smiled, and laughed. I'm in charge, huh? And he instantly loved that little shine in her eyes, already curious what she would choose for them to do. Then I think it's time for a new game, since I won our last one. She pushed closer into him, and he couldn't help his rising interest. Maybe she did... but no. She raced away from him, and he laughed, immediately giving chase. Your turn to chase, Khari. Think you can catch me?

He sure would try.

His heart already raced, eyes already bright. This time, he did let his wings stretch out, feeling them cut through the air as he ran. He breathed in the sea breeze again, savoring it all over again mixed with her scent trailing ahead of him. It took all he had to slowly catch up to her, snapping at her flank any time he got near enough and laughing. He always had so much fun chasing and playing with her, even when she was so much smaller.

With a short burst, he pushed himself as hard as he could, finally so close to catching her. He used a little help from his wings to lift him, propelling forward just enough to catch her hips and drag her down with him, grazing his teeth playfully against her as he held her. They splayed out again and he landed above her, smiling down with bright eyes and his chest heaving.

Hah! I can catch you!
    Damn, and she was beautiful. He couldn't help but trace her face and admire every little detail he found. She was growing so fast, it felt like. So gorgeous.

Once again, their laughter rang out across the sea, just the way it should. She dashed like mad, sprinting across the waves, diving sideways and changing direction now and then just to keep Khari on his toes. And just like she’d hoped, by the time he started catching up, his eyes were shining with happiness and mischief. He nipped at her flank and laughed, and she put on an extra little burst of speed to pull away again, grinning and flicking her tail at him.

He caught her again, just a nip, and she laughed and ran harder, dodging to the side and losing him for a few beats of her racing heart while he adjusted his course and caught back up. Ah, and then he brought his wings into play, giving him just the extra oomph he needed to catch her and send them both tumbling again. Cheater, she teased, her eyes dancing with delight as they rolled. He dragged his teeth against her skin, sending another startled little jolt running through her and distracting her just enough that this time she landed beneath him.

Ohhh, you’re sneaky, she admonished, but the admiration that colored the thought changed the comment to praise. She flopped against the water and panted, her chest heaving and her heart pounding right along with his as she caught her breath. I guess you can catch me, she agreed, peeking up at him and smiling at the joy on his face. She reached out and bumped her nose against his chin again, lingering just long enough to turn it into a nuzzle. You played dirty and used your wings. Good job.
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl

Cheater, he heard, and he laughed. It sounded more like praise from her. Silly girl. Sneaky, she called him, and he beamed back at her, watching her as they both struggled to catch their breath. I guess you can catch me, she said, smiling up at him. He nodded. Then she reached for him again, nuzzling her nose into his chin, and he closed his eyes. God, she felt so good. He loved when she touched him. You played dirty and used your wings. Good job.

He grinned down at her, a wicked light flashing in his eyes. I can play dirty at lots of things, he promised, or warned, and dipped his head to her. He pushed into her mind and filled her, wrapped around and entwined with her as they used to while his nose buried into the soft join of her neck and shoulder. Safe, they were safe here. So far away. Safe.

He meant to tickle her, kneading at that place that always made her giggle. God, but he was breathing her in, feeling her pressed beneath him, twisted and tangled so perfectly in her mind, and he might have gotten a little carried away again. His playful nudging turned into nips and pinches, his pulse soaring. He could hardly breathe, and his blood ignited, molten and rushing through him. Then he was kissing, deep and tasting her skin while he was immersed in her thoughts and swirling, drowning. Drowning.

He groaned into a kiss, suckling the flesh of her neck. Fuck, she tastes good. Something about that was.. louder? Oh god, he was - too deep, I - couldn't let go, couldn't back - off. Fuck, let her go. Oh, god. Tangled, so tangled. Too far, too far. He groaned again. Fucking let her go. But he - don't wanna. No. Yes - he had to pull back somehow. Felt so good, though. He loved being in her mind with her. Such a beautiful mind.

His mouth broke away from the soft grey of her with a gasp. "Sorry," he breathed. Oh, man. God that - felt so good. Let go, let go. He definitely - want more. Fuck, stop thinking about it. "Sorry... sorry." God, she could hear him. How much - is she hearing? Fucking think, control this. Back off. But he couldn't, wouldn't. Locked in place, panting. He wanted - more. No, she doesn't want - this. He couldn't do this. But he couldn't force himself back. Didn't want to. Okay, fucking breathe.

There was something extra in the playful light in Khari’s eyes, maybe a little more mischief, or a little sneakier. Something Kali couldn’t quite put her finger on, but she answered his grin with one of her own even as he settled deeper against her, wrapping his mind around hers and filling her up with his presence the way he used to so long ago, when it was all they had. When the world was just him and her and the pounding of hearts. I can play dirty at lots of things, he said, in a tone that was new and different, silky and smooth and rich, and somehow soft like the velvet of his nose as he pressed it into the spot where her neck and shoulder met.

The spot he always used to coax a giggle out of her, to make her squirm and laugh and then snuggle against him. Except this time...oh! He nipped instead, pinching her skin between his teeth and sending that same jolt through her again, one that was starting to get a little more familiar, one that made her tingle, made her body feel warm and her stomach clench and her breath get just a little ragged. Whoa…

Then he was using his lips instead of his teeth, and that felt a different kind of good, one that had her head tilting and her back arching, had her pressing into the touch. Fuck, she tastes good. Her face heated, and that jolt went somewhere new and strange, nowhere near where his lips were at all. - too deep, I - She trembled, squirming against him, - off. Fuck, let her go. Oh, god - and the sounds coming out of her mouth were unfamiliar, soft and breathy and confused. - don’t wanna. No. Yes -

Khari?

He tore his mouth from her skin, gasping in and breathing out a shaky apology. God that - She panted beneath him, but it wasn’t from the running anymore. She stared up at him, her expression dazed as his thoughts rang into her head, - want more. Fuck, stop thinking about it. He apologized again - is she hearing? - and stared down at her, panting, eyes locked with hers. - more. No, she doesn’t want -

Wide-eyed, she reached up slowly, bumping his chin with the soft of her nose. Hesitant, she touched him again, softer this time, breathing him in with ragged little breaths that tremored with nervous uncertainty. When he didn’t pull away, she brushed her lips against his chin, and again just below his lower lip. Her belly fluttered as she looked into his eyes, saw that bright new light shining there that made her skin tingle and her blood hum in her veins.

New, it was so new, and a little scary, but it felt goooood. She didn’t pull away, just watched him with wide, solemn eyes. He wanted more. She’d heard him think it, more than once. If more felt like that, maybe more sounded like a good thing. Her gaze dropped to his mouth, her body shivering as she thought of what he’d made her feel with just his mouth one long moment.

More? Maybe she wanted to know about this more that he wanted. How would she know unless she asked, right?

((loooool shit. That...um, that escalated quickly.))
    Kirby and Lacey's
    little whisper girl

He couldn't fucking breathe, couldn't think with her arching into his kisses. He groaned, and fuck, she was squirming under him as he panicked, as his mind sent frantic half-thoughts and his blood crashed through his body. He loved how restless it made her, writhing, how she seemed to enjoy what he did. God, he wanted her. Wanted to pull more thoughts from her mind as he--

But she was staring back at him, panting with him with eyes gone dark and wide and dazed. Like his. ...more. More. She liked - it, how it made her feel when he touched her. She reached, tapping his chin with her nose in that way she does, but he didn't move, couldn't move, transfixed and watching that perfect light in her eyes that settled a deep ache in his belly. Damn, he - want her.

She touched him again, soft and hesitant, still struggling to breathe. His eyes threatened to close, but he stayed locked on to hers, her lips drifting a little further up to brush just below his. They parted for her, his eyes swimming and chest heaving. Wanted to - kiss her. She knew he wanted more, he could hear that she'd caught at least that much.

More? she echoed, asked, her gaze falling to his mouth. He strangled another groan. Yes, - definitely more. Even his thoughts were breathless.

His eyes slid to her mouth, too. Then back to her eyes as he slowly leaned, pressing a tender kiss to the top of her nose. He'd done it so many times before, something familiar in all this new. The wild new that felt so good. Kali.. he whispered, finally a thought he actually meant to send to her. He watched her face as he placed another careful kiss, this time to the corner of her mouth, gauging her reaction. Not unwelcome though, and he tried again.

He pulled back, just a little, his eyes falling to her mouth again. So hard to breathe, heart racing. Couldn't think. Didn't want to. He bent again, his lips brushing hers, so softly, so gently, but before he could pull away again, he was already back for another. This time just a little firmer, a little more sure. Kali.. he said again, retreating once more to study her expression.