• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'm never gonna feel that fire again [heartfire]
    " I'd Rather Die Young , "
    Our friend Oxytocin is a very broody, angry man.

It's easy to tell just by glancing at him—the glare that is always present on his face, the general lack of empathy. You know, that sort of thing. He's finding that he's growing rather grumpy in his (self-proclaimed) old age. He's not even that old, somewhere in his mid-to-late teens, and it suits him. He has plenty of muscle and sinew stretching over his bones, and his dark coat, though dull, is shot through with scars from fights long forgotten. He looks battleworn but not old—it probably has something to do with immortality, the blasted thing that it is.

He should have died when Kindling did. They were something of a similar age, after all, and she was well past her prime when she passed. Perhaps she was a year or two older—he remembers that he was a spry, cocky yearling when he challenged her claim to the throne, and look at them now. She's dead and he's drifting. He's not going to die or kill himself—he keeps his promises—but he is nothing of the former stallion he was in his youth. That Oxytocin would have told him to get over himself (it's just a girl, and one that abandoned you, at that) and move on. He can't.

He knows that deep down, he's angry at her for producing such vile offspring with such a vile stallion, who in turn produced a filly who murdered them both. He had always despised Osric, and look where it had led Kindling—to a grave she now shares with her own daughter, Oxytocin's once partner in ruling (how fitting that he had ruled alongside two generations). Perhaps it's just that Kindling herself was vile, only out to further herself in the long run. She had used him, abused him, and tossed him aside. She hadn't even stuck around to watch their daughter grow up, and it's only just coming to him quite how bitter he is.

A twig snaps behind him and he is dragged back to the surface of his thoughts, his brown eyes gleaming harshly as he turns his head to see who is approaching. "What do you want?"

oxytocin
    show them the joy and the pain and the ending

The old and ancient abound in this land, faces still young and fresh hiding hearts withered and worn. In so many cases, immortality is as much a curse as it is a blessing. Not that that has ever prevented her fascination with those creatures. If anything, it had only increased it. There is always some good information to be gleaned from the eyes of those who have seen it all. Indeed, much of her knowledge of past events have come from such folks. Those that have survived decades, centuries, to share their tales with the newest generations.

She herself bears some understanding of the weight of time upon a youthful soul. She does not wear immortality like so many others, but she has seen and done far more than most could ever dream of. The weight of time rests heavily upon her slender, still youthful shoulders. She had spent a lifetime ruling a far distant land, a long-lived queen sitting beside a husband she had once loved dearly.

That seems like a lifetime ago now, despite the deceptive youth of her body. So much has changed since then, lands shifting and buckling along with those who live amongst them. So much of the old replaced by the new.

And then there, in the meadow, is a small piece of the old. Ancient memories fresh for the taking. The possibilities endless and intriguing.

He is lost in thought, unaware of her approach until one dark hoof lands upon a small twig. The snap draws his attention to her, his sudden greeting gruff and demanding. She does not hesitate in her approach, only halting when she rests comfortably beside him. Her only response to his brusque nature is a rather sardonic lifting of equine brows. When she finally does answer the question, her response is rather vague, open-ended. “Oh, many things. Right now, however?” She pauses, expression mild and thoughtful as she fixes him with a cool blue gaze. “Merely to talk, I suppose. My name is Heartfire.”

i filled up my senses with thoughts from the ghosts