• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Ivar;
    Azar
    The Taiga was so quiet tonight. She lived near the river, where Daddy liked to snatch up fish with his great claws, and they could curl up and nap in their dark cave after. But sometimes she liked to venture further away. Once, she went all the way into another forest. This time, she went the opposite direction, and didn’t stop until her feet hit the beach and the night-waves laughed quietly. Until she could stare out in the distance and almost believe she could see the dark silhouette of that island, blacker than the sky.

She flexed her wings and turned to watch over her shoulder as the moonlight highlighted the ridges of feathers. She’d managed to teach herself a little bit of flying, and learned that they vanished when she was in the air, but she didn’t think she could make it all the way to that island yet. Was too afraid to try. Still, it was nice to imagine it. To stand in her quiet solitude and for a brief time live a fantasy. One where she could make that distance safely.

Or one where she could see that boy again. She’d forgotten his name, though. Knew it once, but wild things like her sometimes didn’t put much in a name rather than a scent. A face. A voice. She might be just a little older than him, though, but she wasn’t really sure. Wasn’t so good at ages either. She survived on instinct, and small cues in behavior or speech or expression. It had been so long before she spoke her first words, living as wild as a fawn would tucked away in the brush.

She heard a soft noise, and she twisted, flashing vibrant green eyes behind her. To the shadows, the trees. Hello, she almost called. But she was always so quiet, so reserved, and instead waited for another sound. None came, and she turned back around to the sea, only to startle and flinch with a soft squeak at the person standing next to her, roaned wings rising as if she could shield herself.

ooc: next reply to this will be slow (have to go on away), but she had the muse and i do as she demands <3

I V A R
    i'll use you as a makeshift gauge of how much to give and how much to take
    The cold water slides effortlessly along the matte black scales. Now and again a stray bit of moonlight breaks through the clouds and casts a pearlescent glow to the swatch of white across his neck and his handsome visage.

This is not the first night that Ivar has floated on the coast of the Taiga, but nor are his visits here frequent. Just once before, with a bewitching young girl as cold and translucent as the water around him. This night is already similar, and Ivar wonders – for the first time – why the universe seems to favor him so. Hus luck is impeccable, for there beside the ocean stands another girl.

She is older, darker, than the first. Something about her seems familiar, the taste of her on the wind, but he is unable to identify it from this distance until she turns to look back at the trees.

The moonlight catches her wings for the first time, and Ivar smiles.

Not until he has crossed the black water and climbed onto the sand does he realize that the stranger is no stranger at all – it’s Azar. It doesn’t slow his approach, but the intense focus in his dark eyes lightens immediately to something warmer.

(not danger. wrong season for prey.)

Ivar meets her bright green eyes with a smile impeccably crafted to lower her defenses. The piebald stallion can’t help the exact way his mouth makes a smile, but he does offset it with a purposeful attempt to keep space between them. She hadn’t wanted to be crowded, he remembers. He doesn’t let on to the difficulty he has keeping his overly-polite distance, but he wonders if she knows that it had been him in the woods a week ago, if she knows how close he’d come to stealing her away, back to visit Sylva.

kelpie mimicry | dragon scales | tactile hypnosis

She had flinched and raised her wing, green eyes peering worriedly, warily over the soft lip of pale feathers. Ohh, but the face looking back at her was almost a familiar one; older now, bigger now, but just the same sculpted edge to his handsome cheekbones and that gleaming light in his eyes. That was familiar, yes. The enchanting smile greeting her was entirely disarming, and before she realized it, her wing had slowly drifted down and away from her face, back to her side to hang limp and revealing a helpless, soft smile.

”Hi,” she breathed.

Wow, it really was him, wasn't it? She didn't think she'd ever cross paths with him again. Not when she typically stayed here in the Taiga, didn't often wander far. But there he was, right before her. The very same face and eyes, the same splashy pattern, and -- "Oh." His hair was not dry and soft, but wet and dripping silently. In fact, his whole body was sleek with a moist sheen beneath the moonlight glinting off his back.

Her eyes traveled back to his face, a gently puzzled frown tugging her brows. ”You swam all the way here?” she asked quietly, careful not to draw attention to them. It was late, Daddy probably wouldn’t like to find her meeting a boy at this hour. Or any hour, really.

Her face flushed at her own question. Swam? Well, of course he hadn’t swam all the way here. How ridiculous. The forest she met him in was clear the other direction anyway. What a fool she must look to him, and her blush deepened with embarrassment. Although… Hadn’t he said once something about not being a wolf but rather something like a fish? It was something like that… Maybe. She wasn’t sure. Didn’t tend to hold on to such tenuous details.

A hesitant smile chased the frown away as she took a step forward - just the one. Well, okay, one more, but that was all. She could smell him just fine from here. ”You’re so much bigger now,” she commented. Oops, another dumb thing to say. Of course he was bigger. She was too, probably. Still willowy and slender, but not quite lanky like the child she’d been when they first met. ”Do you remember me?” That might be important to know, wouldn’t it?

<3

I V A R
    i'll use you as a makeshift gauge of how much to give and how much to take
    When they had last met, she’d been more cautious. Rightfully so, of course, but Ivar does like that her defensive wing falls away to reveal a smile. He follows its descent with curious eyes, and wonders if letting it hang down is any more or less comfortable than tucking it against her back. When she asks if he’d swam all the way here he looks up again to meet her gaze, his head tilting curiously. Before he can answer she’s blushing, and Ivar realizes that she must know the answer.

For a moment, he’d wondered if she even remembered him.

It’s been quite some time, after all. With the exception of his failed foray, they’ve not seen each other since they were children. She’d been smaller then, and she echoes that precise thought as she steps closer. Ivar - who had already not been moving much - holds his breath and waits. She takes another step, close enough that if he were to stretch (stretch very far) he might touch her.

He does not, of course, because she might run away.

“Of course I do,” answers the young stallion. “Azar, daughter of a bear.”

Though he’d not considered it before, he wonders if that is the reason behind her quiet words. Is her bear of a father nearby? Is he watching them? Ivar does not see anyone, and there are no sounds in the forest that are out of place. Still, he peers into the shadow with dark eyes for a rather long moment before looking back to Azar.

He could try again, he realizes.

It wouldn’t be hard to take her out of the Taiga, just across the border to his own woods. His youthful ego suggests that she might even be willing, but he’s seen enough trees taking on Sylvan colors to know that that is the autumn talking.

“I came to see you, before.” He tells her, unsure both of why he does so and how she might react. “Someone stopped me, but I wanted to see you.” He doesn’t add that it was Ruan, the king, and that the tongue lashing Motyher had given him when she’d found out still stung a little. “Did you know?”

kelpie mimicry | dragon scales | tactile hypnosis

He remembered her! Azar, daughter of a bear, he said. And her smile widened, her eyes brightened in delight. "Oh, yes! That's me! You do remember!" Daddy would not be pleased if he found them, but perhaps he was busy watching the borders as he usually did. Or busy fishing; he did love fishing.

Her expression dampened just a little at her next thought. He'd remembered her name, but... she can't for-the-breath-of-butterflies remember his. Oh, she was terrible! And she blushed again, held quiet a few moments more as she tried to recall that tricky thing of a name. His scent, his face, his color, she knew those easy, but how to address him was long lost in time and memories and the life of a wild little thing like her.

"I came to see you, before," his voice splashed in her thoughts, rippled across green eyes as they met his again. She peered at him curiously, certainly not remembering another visit with him, but he explained that absence in her memory with his next words. "Someone stopped me, but I wanted to see you." A pink blush colored her cheeks, and her eyes fell shyly to her feet for a moment. "Did you know?"

Her face felt so hot when she quietly shook her head, carefully raising her eyes after a long moment to peek through thick lashes. "No," she followed with in almost a whisper. Oh, right! Had to be quiet. That, too. But, also wow. She'd never had anyone want to see her before. That felt so good, so warm and comforting in some way that she thought she might want to feel again one day. It would definitely be nice if he wanted to see her again after this night, too! But why would anyone want to stop him? And so she asked, voiced that thought aloud, pretty brows knit in confusion. "Why would anyone want to stop you?"

It was getting terribly late though. Daddy might worry. Oh! Or come looking for her. Oh, that would not be good at all.

"Um. I should... Probably go, I think." She was surprised by how badly she didn't want to. She'd only just found him again, perhaps the only person besides her Daddy that might know her name. And the king, of course. He probably knew it as he knew all his people. Probably. But if she left, would she ever see him again? "Will you - Do you think you'd..." If she could blush any more, it would certainly be darker now with all her fumbling.

"Will I see you again?" she asked instead. She still hadn't remembered to ask his name again. Tricky things.