• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

My heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see; Diplomats, any
    My heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see
    Taiga. He’s heard a lot about this place, of course. Hard not too when one is as friendly as young Fox, but he’s never actually been here, more’s the pity. Oh, he’s skirted around the edges in his vast and varied wanderings, but never actually set foot inside. He’d be lying if he said he hadn’t peeked a time or two, but who hasn’t? Only the dead or boring, that’s who.

Now though, he has the chance to actually visit for himself. And for a real, legitimate reason too. He is simply dying of curiosity, and dear Nymph had presented him with the perfect opportunity to assuage such curiosities. At least temporarily. I mean, there is only so much a body can see in one measly visit, but damned if he wouldn’t try.

Still, he’s trying very hard to be a good diplomat. And a good diplomat waits until he’s invited.

The trip from Tephra to Taiga is not a terribly long one, especially since he sticks relatively well to the coastal cliffs and beaches. He may or may not have wandered off a time or two to check this or that out, but no one’s here to notice but him, so who’s actually to say? He doesn’t stop to chat along the way, so really, he should at least get bonus points for that.

So, as a result, in short enough order, he is at the river separating forest from Taiga, eyeing the rippling water with a rather hairy eyeball. With a snort and a quick flick of his tail, a wide path has been solidly frozen across the water. Solid enough for him to step onto with a decided lack of caution. But then, snow and ice are his elements, and skipping across a body water he has casually frozen to provide a convenient walkway is part and parcel of that particular gift. For him, at least.

But then he is on the other side and the water is flowing freely again. And he waits. Not his greatest strength by far, patience. But he practices it nevertheless, knowing (hoping?) someone would show up very soon to relieve him of such tedium.
    Fox
    oh, my love, don't forsake me. take what the water gave me ..

She could hardly call herself a diplomat. Taiga had been void of rank or reason from the first day she set foot inside the borders. It remained that way and she would see that it did, if only by playing the part of host now and again. The last time had been with that rake of a stallion … oh, what was his name? Regardless, she’s overdue for some kingdom activity so when the smell of an outsider passes over her dark, wet nose, Circy the little brown wolf stops stoically in her tracks and turns her head, then eyes, in the direction it’s coming from. North, near the head of the great channel that divides her homeland from the commonplaces of Beqanna. She knows the area well, (she should, after all this time) pictures the wide mouth of the bay, and sets off at a loping pace to keep creature from waiting.

A good thing, too, because he’s already made his way across. She pads easily enough into his line of sight, fearing neither reproach nor harm while the safety of her kingdom is at her back. Her pale mouth is split open, bright pink tongue lolling out from the side in an almost adorable sort of fashion while she tilts her head to appraise him with shocking blue eyes. Surprisingly dry for just having completed a water crossing. With a gentle wag of her tail and the arch of her back she changes shape, slipping her skin for that of a horse. Finishing with a deep exhale the wolf-turned-mare hums gently and offers the roan a warm smile.

“I’m Circinae, a member here.” She relays, knowing that he would’ve made the connection by now but finding it necessary to stick to custom for appearances sake. “What brings you to the redwoods?”

Circinae
    The ice lures him in, like a moth is attracted to a flame. He’s not all that unfamiliar with the cold, grandpa was a master of ice after all, but that doesn’t stop him being curious about this other master that had found his way to Taiga.

Ander had snuck away from his mother’s side, truly believing that she actually didn’t notice him leaving. Of course she did, but he had been oblivious of her ruby gaze upon his back as he had tried to sneak away. He felt invincible like only a child could, thinking that he had already mastered the way of the wolf of grandpa Ruan.

His golden legs carry him to the edge of the pine tree forest. He doesn’t go further, instead choosing to press his black and golden frame against one of the thickest trees he could see. Familiar red eyes peek around the corner. He finds a red and white male and he was just in time to see the ice melting in favour of letting the river flow again. ”Oh.”

Then something more spectacular happens. A wolf joins the scene, coming from the redwood forest just like he had. His black head tilts a little, golden nostrils trembling lightly as he snorts softly. A wolf! A wolf lived in Taiga. He had to tell mom, and dad, and grandpa! He should, but at the same time Ander stands frozen, curiously watching the creature. Watches her change. Another ”oh” escapes past his golden lips. He knew that one, that was one of mom’s friends.

Enough familiarity for him to step out of his hiding spot – he would be oblivious to it if they had noticed him before. ”Hi!” the greets them, curiously looking from one to another. He moves towards Circinae’s side, feeling perfectly safe with the green and navy blue woman beside him, giving him enough courage to greet the stranger that’s not from here. ”I’m Ander. Who’re you?”

Behind him in the forest a pair of ruby eyes observe them, before retreating. Knowing he would be safe in Circy’s care.
    As luck would have it, he finds he does not have to wait long at all for company to find him. Fortunate that, considering Fox is perhaps one of the least patient horses alive. Not that he doesn’t try. He does have very good intentions in any case. But if there were a horsey version of ADD, Fox would be the poster boy.

So when he glances up to find a small brown wolf appearing, padding through the trees with a wide, wolfy grin on her face, Fox returns the gesture with equal (well, probably greater) enthusiasm. Ears pressed sharply forward, his neck arches slightly as he eyes the newcomer. “Oh, well, hello there. I assume you’re here for me? Or, well, I hope so. Otherwise I’ll feel like a total idiot for talking to wolf who can’t understand me.” He laughs a bit self-deprecatingly, but when the wolf turns into a pretty young mare of green and blue, he is (silently) relieved.

“Circinae,” he continues after she introduces herself, an engaging smile once more upon his lips. “That’s such a lovely name. I’m Fox.”

His little introductory spiel is interrupted when another figure appears from the trees with an enthusiastic greeting upon his lips. He offers the newcomer, a young colt who could hardly be old enough to be away from his mother’s side, a slightly crooked, happy grin by way of greeting. “Well hello there Ander! I see the calvary he has arrived,” he adds with a teasing wink. “I’m Fox.”

Lifting his gaze back to the dual-toned mare, he flicks his long red tail casually before shifting his weight into a more comfortable position. With a slightly more serious mien (one he largely fails in pulling off), he continues, “Well, you see, I’m from Tephra. Mostly I just came to visit, I suppose. See how you are doing and all that jazz. Not that I want to bore you right off the bat,” he finishes, a rather impish grin unintentionally tugging at his lips.
    Fox

World's best diplomat in da house :| :| :|

Circinae had been so enraptured by the envoy that the soft bump of a tiny body against her own startles her momentarily. With a snort and the sharp turn of her head she glances down to where the black-and-gold colt stands hesitantly, a single eye narrowing towards the mischievous escapee. There’s nothing to worry about though, and that feeling is confirmed when one ear twitches behind her to catch the sound of familiar footsteps retreating into the heart of the wood. Curious little Ander is very safe with the shifter and his eagerness for excitement twists a reluctant smile on Circy’s lips. Who was she to deny a child’s innocent eagerness?

“Ander here is only one of the few colts we have wandering around this season, though I daresay the nosiest.” She teases lightly, lipping that irresistibly adorable tuft of golden forelock between his handsome ears. With a cheerful grin her own eyes rise once more to clash against the sparkling mahogany of Fox’s and she decides, with little hesitation, that this meeting was better off spent walking. “Please, come in and have a look around. Ander, would you like to lead the way for us?” She tempts, turning aside from the two of them with a glance in the foal’s direction. Fox will join of his own accord, she has no doubt of that - the shroud of mystery Ruan had overshadowed the redwoods in drew interest from all sides. They were (as far as her limited knowledge can recall) the only kingdom still unshackled to another, and lacking formal positions at that.

A curious oddity that thrived without order or a so-called King.

In the gilded winter sunlight the redwoods seem especially stately, as if they had prepared for the viewing of an outsider. Their impressive girth and height still dazzled Circinae, and she had lived here longer than any other place, but with the tendrils of white snow to give them a crisp look and the heady scent of pine and sickly sweet sap to complete the picture Circy reasons that Fox couldn’t have picked a better day to visit if he’d tried. Their going is easy, muffled by layers of ancient moss and tree droppings. “We live private lives here, all of us.” She begins, matching the roan step for step, “With no pressure to jump rank our numbers grow steadily, though I doubt the rate is comparable to powerhouses like Nerine or your own Tephra.”

“Still,” She speaks, rolling her shoulders politely in her companion's presence, “it encourages a deep loyalty to the land and sense of camaraderie among the members who choose to stay of their own accord.” The bicolored mare explains while they stroll. “Don’t mistake our quietness for weakness though!” She warns lightheartedly, “The forest is rich in her own secrets.”

Ander, doing his part with the austerity expected of a child tour guide, draws her attention for a moment and the little wolf calls out to him, “Ander! What’s your favorite part of the Taiga?”

Circinae

ooc: woah woah woah ... where did all this muse come from?
    His mother would very much agree with Fox, Ander absolutely wasn’t old enough to go without her. She hadn’t followed him here for nothing, but also allowing him this little ‘trip’ within the borders of their home. Circy would watch over him. She knew. Circinae knew too.

Ander, naturally, feels comfortable around the forest green and navy blue mare. After all, she was his mother’s dear friend and to him a familiar face. It could’ve just as well been his father or grandfather that had been out here to greet Fox. Speaking of which, a pretty funny name the young colt thought. ”You’re a fox?” he eagerly asks. After all, it had only been moments ago that he had witnessed Circy shifting from wolf to horse form.

He does not have time to wait for an answer though. Its impossible to not feel somewhat indignant about the mare’s teasing. ”Hey!” he mumbles in protest, ears flopping sideways as his pol is gently teased. His protest continues in silence as he shakes his head after she pulls away, golden lips a little pouty.

Though he’s too young to understand diplomacy, or find it interesting, his curiosity is sparked by the mention of another land. He tilts his head, red eyes looking up at the red stallion eagerly. ”Tephra?” he repeats, never looking away as he awaits his answers. But again it’s Circinae who pulls him out of his intense curiosity. The green and blue lady surely knew how to make up to him, of course he would like to show the way! He could do that. Ander is grinning widely before nodding at her, bouncing on his legs as he turns around to trot back into the forest, short and fluffy golden tail up in the air.

He doesn’t stop until he finds himself into the redwood forest, tail still up as he turns around ninety degrees to look at the pair. Ander doesn’t have to worry about the snow, the cold or losing his footing. Even with his paper thin coat he is not bothered by the winter’s cold, and the snow, it melts at his feet. He waits until they catch up, frowning a little at the parts of their conversation he overhears, not really understanding the deeper meaning behind their words. It doesn’t stop him from speaking up. ”Family. Mother says we’re like one big family.” He looks up like he discovered or shared something really important, rather proud of it too.

With them caught up again he continues his way further into the Taiga, almost automatically moving towards the little clearing they liked to hang out. It’s Circy who calls him back. Instantly his ears perk up and Ander is back at their side within no time. ”Favorite place?” he repeats, then pauses to ponder over it. Nobody had asked him that before and neither had he really thought about it. So it takes him a little while before he can get up with a good answer. Probably a rather obvious answer too. ”The beach, you know the little point in the north! Can we show it to Fox? Please?”

He takes off before actually getting an answer, prancing through the Taiga and leaving little melted circles where his hooves had been. A perfect trail to follow. Ander is still too young to realise the danger of it if he would’ve been elsewhere.
    “Not a fox, just named after it, much to my disappointment,” he responds easily to the gold and black colt with a bright laugh. Though his mother had named him thusly due to the uncanny resemblance, he couldn’t claim any true kinship with the creature. The grin is still wide upon his lips as he turns his attention back to the pretty mare, who just happens at that moment to have her attention on the colt, teasing words upon her lips. He rather likes her easy familiarity with the boy, the closeness they all seem to share. “Hey now!” he exclaims, though his tone is filled with humor rather than affront. “Don’t knock nosiness! I have to admit to being rather guilty myself. Gets things done, I say.”

He offers Ander a sly, rather conspiratorial grin along with a faint shrug of his shoulders. He could relate to the boy, he had been much the same not so long ago himself. Still is in many ways. So much so that when Circinae offers to show him around, he all but leaps out of his skin. Needless to say, he accepts the offer with some amount of alacrity.

As they move out, following in the wake of the colts hot little footsteps (literally), he listens attentively to Circinae’s explanation of the general workings of Taiga. Or at least, as attentively as a young stallion otherwise preoccupied by excitement and the thought of new discoveries can be. Still, what he does hear is fascinating, and he cannot help but be intrigued.

“That sounds incredible,” he comments during a brief lull in her explanation, his amber gaze shifting to offer her a brief, curious glance. “I have to say, being a powerhouse is overrated. It’s great, don’t get me wrong. We’re strong and everything, but everyone is so focused on work that there seems to be no time for fun.” The last is said with a slight moue to his lips.

After a moment though, he seems to come to his senses. With a wry glance towards the wolf woman and a short laugh, he admits rather freely, “I’m really not very good at this, am I?”

Fortunately he is quickly distracted by the offer of the beach, a place that sounds both interesting and beautiful, despite any lack of true description. With an animated little hitch in his step, he interjects, “Ooooo! The beach sounds brilliant.” With a decidedly boyish grin curving his lips, he turns his bright gaze to Circinae. “Yes! Can we? Please?” he asks in a rather teasingly impish tone.
    Fox

If Fox was terrible at being a diplomat, Circinae would never have guessed it. Even his roguish admission only draws a lackluster smile, the tilt of her viridian head, and the slant of a look that says, “You’re only fooling yourself.” Fox was fantastic, a quaint sort of creature with a light heart and emotions worn on a sleeve. Circinae liked him for all the vitality and brightness he’d brought to this place, rather than negativity and double-edged inquiries. As her muted footfalls come to a stop, she peers between the two males who share a look of childlike excitement and says, “How could I possibly say no?”

Ander hadn’t even waited for her to finish. She agrees with his eagerness though, so much so that when she moves ahead again it’s at a brisk trot. It’d been awhile since she’d felt the sand beneath her, shifting and soaked with briny seawater. The last time had been in the dregs of summer, when Corvus had come to test the coils of wind underneath his growing feathers. As the stocky pony mare breaks through the sparse outcroppings of resilient pines and floats over grassy dunes she can almost picture him there - standing proudly square with his bold wings outstretched, the water licking eagerly at his hooves while his green hair had whipped like a flag behind him.

A sigh escapes her and she halts. “Ta-da!” She exclaims breathlessly, blue eyes scanning the distant horizon as ice is pushed to short and left to harden. “The Northeastern limits of Taiga. Now, you’ve seen just about as much as you could hope to see here.” The envoy tells Fox with the hiccup of a laugh. Large as her kingdom might be, it was rather repetitive in appearance. “Please stay as long as you like, Fox. @[Ruan] may be tempted to make an appearance. Or, if you need him, it’s always an adventure to sniff him out.” She teases lightly, a twinkle settling into the corners of her gaze.

Circinae kicks her heels up. In a rolling canter she shifts, shrinking down until her likeness becomes the little brown wolf they’ve all become accustomed to. She’ll play with Ander this way - it’s safer, she’s more nimble and less of an obstacle as she comes alongside the black colt with a yip. She stops only to glance back at Fox, ears stock-straight atop her fuzzy head. “Whenever you’d like to leave just let me know. Your journey home shouldn’t take as long, I know a secret path.” The wolf grins, mouth shaping itself to form words before snapping back into a canine snout.

Any questions, if he had them, she’d eagerly answer. For the moment though she’s content to turn her attentions back to Ander, sharp teeth snapping at the air around his heels in a safe sort of chase.

Circinae
    Not only to Fox’ disappointment, but Ander’s too. How fantastic it would’ve been if he could’ve played with a fox! A real one. Especially when there also was a wolf around. It is soon forgotten, when Fox sides with him. Not really contradicting that what Circy had jokingly said, but turning it in something positive. ”Yes!” he exclaims, nodding his black and golden head eagerly. ”That what Fox says! It gets things done.” Wide gum grin upon his lips.

The trip was fun. He was led to believe that he was leading them through the Taiga, that he was the one showing them around. Especially when he was allowed to pick where they would go next. And to Ander’s biggest pleasure their guest seemed as much enthusiastic about his suggestion to go to the beach. ”Pleaasee aunt Circy?” he joins in right after Fox asked her. Red eyes glowing with excitement burning within him.

His day couldn’t get any better when the forest green and navy blue lady agrees with their suggestion. ”Yay!” he shouts, and then darts off towards the beach. Prancing in a quite expressing way, knees rising high and his golden mane and tail dancing along.

It doesn’t take long for them to reach the beach. He walks a little further onto the beach, past Circinae. A soft sigh escapes past his lips and for a moment his golden eyelids close. He enjoyed the heath on his skin, which made the gold in his coat dazzle pleasantly. The mention of Ruan pulls Ander back to reality. ”Oh! Will grandpa come to play too?” It was always fun to play with his grandfather, especially if he brought his ice into the play. Even better if he brought Polaris along.

Not that he needs another kind of entertainment. Circy shifts back into her wolf form, leaving the colt to watch with an – almost – dumbfound grin. By the time she comes to stand next to him, he’s bouncing on his legs, teasingly reaching out to lip at her fluffy ear before pulling back. He gets his payback soon, which has him jumping and stepping sideways. ”Aunt Circy!” he laughs, trying to avoid her snout. Then Ander jumps forward, gently nipping at her ear again before darting off.

The heavy sand slows him down, but hey, he was having fun. And that mattered right? Oh, maybe Fox wanted to play too! The gold pointed colt slides to a stop, then rolling back to dash into the direction he had just came from. Passing by Circinae, all in favour of hiding behind Fox. ”Catch me now~”