• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

To Let it Show | Open | {Circinae}
    Jah-Lilah
    someday, we will foresee obstacles
    There'll be no comfort in the shade of the shadows thrown...

The red mare was simultaneously exhilarated and bewildered as she meandered through the forest. She had left the meadow, the words of Circinae echoing loudly in her mind. Taiga, she said. Jah had heard of it, a dense, tree covered land near the sea. Jah had always loved the sea. The sound of the waves crashing on the beach, the way the moon reflected on the water. Perhaps a trip to Taiga wouldn't be so bad after all. Besides, she didn't have to stay, and she did want to see Wolf-of-the-Water again, sooner than later. She exhaled loudly, ducking to avoid a low-hanging branch. She spied scattered groups of equine here and there, making conversation in the common area. She didn't stop for pleasantries. She grunted and kicked out, her damn tail was caught in some underbrush. She attempted to snatch it away, and crow-hopped sideways in frustration. There we go, that worked. She turned and snorted at the bushes, then pressed onward. She paused when she came to the river, lowering her muzzle to the icy H2O.

As she rehydrated and gazed into the crystalline water, she couldn't help but think of her new acquaintance. What wonders she had gotten to see first hand! A teleporter, a jumper. Jah-Lilah had never knew anyone who was able to beam themselves from one place to the next. She had heard of creatures able to do this, but that's where it ended, hearsay. Jah was amped to see more of the girl. But her talents didn't end there, the distinctly canine smell that had surrounded her, the lupine mannerisms she had, all had been revealed upon her departure. My little beatnik should have known she was a shape-shifter. All the signs were there, Jah just hadn't been paying attention. Shame on you, Jah, you know better. 

She stepped forward until reaching the other side of the stream, and her senses were on high alert. She could tell she was nearing the boundary lines of Taiga, and she was anxious. She knew that by stepping into the stallion Ruan's territory she was opening herself up to be marked as his, tied to this land. Jah-Lilah belonged to the ground, to the sky, to the trees, to the Earth-Mother. How could she ever stay in one place? Then the memory of when she met the siren who called her here floods back.  Jah recalls the feeling of her body pressed close, her breath hot and sweet on her back, then her hip. Circinae had rubbed the thin, velour skin of her face on Jah's flank, and even now she could still feel it. It was this that drove Jah here, the longing to be near this strange mare for some reason. This longing made her brave. She toed the wrinkle in the land that marked Ruan's territory, pawing hesitantly. Her muscles jumped tensely beneath her coat. She raised her head high, blowing hard, searching desperately for Circinae's exclusive smell. She called out boldly, taking a few tentative steps forward... 

...But I'll be yours, if you'll be mine.

@[Circinae]
    oh, my love, don't forsake me. take what the water gave me ..

With the amount of noise Jah makes it would come as no surprise to anyone that Circinae had found her long before Jah-lilah could find the little shifter herself. From her secluded cover of bush and branch near the river the mahogany wolf eyes the slow ingression of her rusty companion comfortably, a lopsided smile twisting her elongated snout at the bravery the other mare had gathered to come here unannounced. Just like Circy had wanted. It proved that her newly-minted friend was a horse of her word, one that (perhaps) she could trust with matters large and small. In the Field it was nice enough to assume one thing or the other, but here in her home it was another matter entirely.

With a quick start she rises, leaping out from her shadowy cover to answer Jah’s ringing call with a high bark of her own. There’s an obvious hint of affection glittering in those wolfish blue eyes of hers when she pads forward, rounding her back sharply to shift into a more familiar skin. “You made it!” She breathes airily as the rest of her body settles into normalcy. “And only with a little wear-and-tear.” The mare jokes, noting the snag in Jah’s dark tail and the ice growing on her underbelly. “You caught us in the middle of a lesson - Crevan! Come out!” She sings over her shoulder, the command drawing another wolf from the bushes.

In his predator form the young wolf is a peachy, creamy color. A blend of ivory white and sandalwood, already twice the size of Circy’s form and three times as hairy. The newcomer sneezes softly, shifts partially back to horse (those fuzzy ears still remain on top of an otherwise golden head, and a curled tail rises over the yearlings back) and stares sheepishly between the two mares. His mother giggles. “Practice makes perfect.” She tells him easily enough when his expression sours. “Crevan, dear, would you mind warming up our guest here? Then you have my leave to go.”

That seems to excite the boy enough and willingly he nods, angling away from them before inhaling deeply. The colt blows fire, a steady stream of it, near the two and the flame is so intense that for a moment even Circinae steps back. A glaring bonfire eats greedily at the dry, barren bush the wolves had previously inhabited and without so much as a goodbye her son is off again - much too eager to rid himself of the girls and their unimportant banter. “He’s a troublemaker, that one. Excessively showy too.” The green mare mutters before directing her full attention back to Jah. “Well! That’ll do I suppose. Welcome to Taiga.” She says with a cheeky grin.

Circy aims to impress.

Circinae

ooc: that was excessive, lol, I'm not sorry in the least Heart
    Jah-Lilah
    I have done wrong, you build your tower to call me home...

The mare heard nothing, her shifty friend's approach was stealthy and silent. Jah-Lilah was overjoyed. As the tawny little canine pads towards her, it changes into the familiar female she knows so well. It mystified Jah how seamless the transformation was, what little effort was required for Circinae. She squealed and half-reared in delight, dancing around in the snow all over. She nipped the air, hardly able to contain her excitement as Circy greets her. "So I did!" She shakes herself, ears at attention as Circy calls one of her miniatures to join them. Jah is instantly taken aback at how much the boy has grown in the short amount of time they've been apart. He dwarfs the size of his mother in his wolf form. He's gonna be big as hell. "Crevan! Look at you, shifting also, that's what's up."

The boy sneezes endearingly, snow flying from his wet, black nose. He attempts to mimic his mother's easy change into horse form, and it doesn't go as he planned it. Jah-Lilah is smiling encouragingly, but inside she's all giggles. He is absolutely adorable, wagging that curly-Q tail and waving those furry ears around. She refrains from gushing over him, what little boy wants to be told how fucking cute he is? Especially when he probably thinks of himself as a vicious, fire breathing wolf-horse. She turns a full circle, warming each side of her on the kid's burning bush. He is talented, he barely had to try to get that going. "Well done! I'm impressed little Fire-Fang!" She grins and watches him scamper off gaily deeper into his homeland, obviously pleased with himself.

As her new friend speaks, my redbone turns to take in the sight of her. It had only been a matter of days since their chance meeting in the meadow, but Jah-Lilah found herself missing Circinae. It had been so long since she took to another so quickly, and this creature was absolutely breathtaking. All of the power and talent she held within her, all of her grace and poise, her position in Taiga, none of it meant much to Jah-Lilah. Jah just wanted to be close to her. "He's cool, no worries. It's good for his confidence, to show out like that." She smiled genuinely, bumping Circinae's neck with her muzzle gently. "Thanks. It wasn't too bad of a trip. So this is your 'home' then? How goes it here?" She glanced all around her, taking in the striking beauty of the place. The mare was curious about this new place she'd been convinced to go see.

...I will build a throne, and wash my eyes out never again.

OOC: Don't ever be sorry, Jah wants ALL the Circy words, we're loving it!  Big Grin Heart Heart

Jah’s pleasant assurance about Crevan’s attitude reminds her that stress was meant to be shared. The burden of trying to spend equal time with the boys while steering them in the right direction had begun to weigh on her slender green shoulders. It was more often than not that she found herself stressing over whether Corvus was getting the instruction he needed (her lack of wings is painfully obvious) and whether Crevan was learning the way of the wolf as he should. With the simple touch of russet lips against her neck, Circinae feels as if Jah has swept away nights of worry. She was a good mother, the best she could hope to be in her circumstances, and perhaps … perhaps what she’d begun to feel wasn’t fear of letting the boys down, but fear of letting the boys go.

“Yes, this is the infamous redwood forest of Taiga.” Circy chuckles, urging herself to move sideways into the comfort of her rusty companions curves. The fire her son had lit for them is quelling now from the oppressing cold, though the heat still casts a pleasant sort of comfort over the two as they draw strength from one another. The shifters eyes dance around, lighting briefly on snow-laden branch after branch and she sighs, content to simply stay put for a minute. “As you can tell, things are quiet.”

The tranquility wouldn’t do, not for her anticipated guest of honor.

“Let’s make some noise then, hmm?” She grins, pressing one green, plush cheek to the arc of Jah’s neck. It glides silkily upwards, her nose bumping softly at the smooth wrinkle of skin tucked underneath the soothsayer’s throat. “I can show you my personal home, if you’d like.” The bicolored girl whispers, “A secret den that I dug for myself before the earth hardened to stone.” She tells Jah-Lilah. Her lips form a bright laugh and then they draw away from red girl’s body, tugging a lock of fiery hair on their retreat.

“It’s a walk that will keep our muscles warm.” Circy tempts, hooves shifting beneath her as she steps forward. Her path takes her around the burning bush, now extinguishing to the final tongues of flame over a charring stump, and from behind it a screen of undulating smoke smudges her outline. “You can tell me about what you’ve been up to since our last meeting.” The bodiless voice calls out, rising over the black plume and drenched in the air of curiosity.

Without so much as a cough Circinae plunges her head through the dark curtain, her head and exposed neck taking the appearance of some mounted trophy animal. “Sound good to you?” She chortles, the laugh breaking into a wheezing cough now that she’s inhaled too much of the damned ash.

Try as she might, she can’t always be a picture perfect temptress.

Circinae
    Jah-Lilah
    But love the one you hold...

Jah-Lilah was thoroughly warmed at watching the young mother's interaction with her child. She was worried, but sensible. The fear of ruining her children signaled the caliber of mother Circinae was. Jah was a firm believer that her concern was a sign of caring. Wolf-of-the-Water watched her son go, and Jah-Lilah watched the Wolf. She was beautiful, unique. My flower-child felt a familiar fire growing in her heart, as real and tangible as the fire Crevan had built them only moments ago. She sighed, a noise barely audible, and pushed the flames down. She fixed her expression as Circy turned to her to speak.

She moved seamlessly into Jah-Lilah's body, the pair of them making a Christmas colored ying-yang as they meshed together. The skin-to-skin was lovely, and Jah took the opportunity to do a bit of unnecessary grooming of her new friend. She informs Jah of the forest, the redwoods, the quiet. The sound of silence all around them was almost deafening. Circy pulls away and looks around, curiously frustrated. My boho-babe raises an eyebrow in amusement, cocking her head and stifling a smile. The sea-foam tinted girl suggests they have some fun, and Jah is instantly intrigued.

Wolf-of-the-Water moves her velveteen muzzle along Jah's neck, tucking it neatly into the crook of her neck. She leans up and whispers in her ear. Jah gets a shiver down her spine, a tingling in her toes. She's thankful it's chilly and she can blame the involuntary shudder on the cold. "A secret clubhouse, Wolf? What a clever thing you are!" she laughs along gaily. "Please! Do me the honor, I'd LOVE to see it!" She would have followed Circy into the middle of the Tephra Volcano had she said that's where the lair was, the girl's siren song had bewitched my wytch so. Circinae tugs her mane and prances off, dancing around the brushfire and not so much as getting burned. She speaks about keeping warm and small talk, but Jah-Lilah needs no convincing to follow the charmer. Just as Jah begins to step off, Circy's delicate face peeks back through the smoke, and she inhales much more than she meant to and starts coughing. It is endearing and sweet, and Jah-Lilah may or may not be smitten at this point. 

She laughs and two-steps to her friend, nudging her. "Are you alright, girl?" She speaks through giggles, but is sincere in her question. She turns to follow Circinae as she leads her to her humble abode, thinking of the things she'd been experiencing. "Well, I suppose my life is not near as exciting as yours, but so far it's full and I'm happy. I met a stallion at the river, he's taken a shine to me but I'm not looking for a mate just yet. Oh! I found a girl, the Spotted-Seer. She is from where I'm from, the plains out on the Earth-Mother-Mare's back. I danced and loved with her mother, many, many seasons ago. She's pregnant with twins, and loves a winged boy not unlike your own." She pauses, thinking, feeling. She chooses her next words carefully, "Speaking of your mate, how is he?" Jah-Lilah didn't know the fawn and charcoal male, but had seen him a few times in her travels through Beqanna. Vagabonds recognize vagabonds. That being said, it had been a time since she'd seen him anywhere around the common lands. Already taking a shine to Wolf-of-the-Water, if he mattered to her he mattered to Jah-Lilah. She strode step-by-step with the emerald mare, watching her, trying to read her body language. She allowed herself to inch closer with each careful stride, their bodies nearly touching.

...and I'll be your gold.

OOC: Omg, sorry if it went forever, Circy gives me muse, lol.

Kind as ever, Jah’s comforting words soothe the rasping cough and rouse a particularly warm smile on Circinae’s lips. “I’m fine, just not very smart sometimes.” The pony mare laughs, turning easily with her companion to the comforting arms of redwood boughs. They walk peacefully, neither creature nor nature disturbing their quiet countenance in each other and, every so often, the two glide against each other as fond sisters might - or, as lovers are inclined occasionally to do. Circinae had spent nearly two years without a romantic counterpart to stoke the fires of desire and before that, her attempts had been solely returned by Canaan. He had taken her first and for that, her loyalty to him was unending, regardless of absence.

But, it didn’t stop her from savoring every word that came from Jah’s mouth, or from adoring the light in her rust-colored friend’s coat that could only be dimmed by the light in her eyes. In a selfish sort of way she reasons that fate had returned … what was her name again? The little red filly from her younger years, Raeanne. Circy’s heart leaps into her throat at the remembrance of that name, chides herself inwardly that she could have forgotten. Had it really been so long since those days?

Time is a funny sort of thing. “Goodess, it sounds like you’ve been a busy little worker bee, Jah-Lilah.” Circinae comments, green head tilting gently to the side as she appraised her vagabond friend with an impressed, bright blue eye. The two sink lower into the earth, down a sloping incline and over the tangle of countless roots and then back up again, topping the miniature valley’s rise with heads low to the earth and forehooves digging into the hard ground. Not much farther from here. “Oh, Canaan.” She recalls, her soul dimming at the mention of him.

“He’s been gone for some time now.” The wolf-mare murmurs placidly. So long now, in fact, that her endearing hope of his return had begun to sound like embarrassment when she explained it to others. Could they all see something she simply refused to believe? A few hundred meters more and then the girls find themselves in a particularly clean-cut area of Taiga. Here, the ground slopes without hurry towards the beach, though from their position it remains unseen. The smell, the sound, however, are fresh in the air and grey moss has begun to pepper the branches of low-hanging trees. “But you’re here now, and that’s what matters.” She quips, slowing to a halt and unfurling a brilliant smile for Jah’s sake.

No need for tears. She wasn’t some lovesick pup. “Only a broken-hearted wolf.” Her conscious whispers. The cry of a gull rings out from somewhere beyond the cover of trees and Circinae snaps back to the present. “Before I show and tell, you must promise to keep it’s location a secret. Promise me!” She urges, the flat of her forehead bumping roughly against Jah’s neck. “I’ve found the best spot in this entire Kingdom, searched for it a long time. I can’t have other shifters hearing about it and wanting to move in.” Circy chuckles, excitement brimming over her previous sadness.

Who cares if she was a broken-hearted wolf? They made the best songs anyways.

Circinae
    OOC:Fast forward to the girls catching up on BQ life lol, also this takes place during Ruan's reign, not Gryff's.

Jah-Lilah
    To have and to hold...

Jah-Lilah was pained at the level of hurt her dear friend carried inside of her. Even Jah's parlor tricks of electricity barely got a smile out of the evergreen beauty, and this worried Jah. The twins had been gone for some time now, off on their own adventures, and Circinae was pining for her mate. My bohemian beauty furrowed her brows and moved closer to the lithe little female. She nuzzled against Circy, pulling her as tight as her equine body would allow. She wrapped her neck around her, then pulled back nudging her. "What do you want to do? Because you are not chained to this spot, Wolf-of-the-Water. Whatever path you decide to take, I will be beside you. You can do anything, you birthed and damn-near raised two perfect boys on your own. If you feel in your heart that something is wrong, you need to trust yourself. The Earth-Mother will not lie to you, you only have to listen to what she's saying."

As the red mare spoke, the air around them began to snap and crack with electricity. The more hyped-up Jah-Lilah got, the more sparks jumped around the pair. She whipped her tail through the air, agitated and antsy. She was anxious to help her companion, anxious to see that bright smile grace those beautiful features again. She wanted to see the sun shine down again on the two-tone female she suddenly felt incredibly protective over. What a strange new feeling for Jah-Lilah, to begin to feel tethered to someone again. It scared her, but it empowered her.

...my lover of the light.

@[Circinae]

Alone, out here, in the comforting quiet of the great redwoods, Circinae has spent many nights drowning in her own sadness. When once before she might have been tempted to crumble in on herself, to curl away into the snug bole-colored home she’s dug for herself, now she can only stand and stare at Jah with something akin to surprise on her face. The other mare was right.

She wasn’t chained to this spot.

“Come with me.” She says in a sudden burst of activity. Her eyes alight on Jah’s while the electricity sparkles through the air around them. “Be my companion on this journey - whatever may happen.” Circy begs. Empowered by her friend’s assurance she edges closer to the cinnamon girl, draws her curved neck over the other’s and pulls her close once more. “I’ve come to enjoy having you around so much, I’d rather it not end so suddenly.” The colorful shifter whispers, muffling the noise of her admittance against Jah-Lilah’s springy, fire-colored mane.

Circinae is trembling, but it’s not from sadness or fear this time - excitement coils tight in her belly and has her drifting backwards, edging free from the comfort of her friend’s embrace. Methodically she turns away and glides easily through the clasped fingers of leafy vegetation, sweeping down the long incline of patchy grass until, at last, sand begins to cover her hooves. Circy never deigns to look behind her, only tips an ear back to confirm that Jah-Lilah and her electric attitude aren’t far behind. With a soft, bordering mischievous sort of smile the teleporter edges slowly into the churning wave breaks where, quickly enough, the water laps at her knees.

Now her eyes seek out the lightning mare. “Do you trust me?” She asks aloud, all the while the water beneath her begins to move in ways unlike an ocean. It swirls softly, circles her body, and begins to spread and churn like a frothy beer. “Because I’m about to take you for one hell of a ride.” The shifter laughs. Her voice rises, the sound of the ocean sucking at the sand beneath her while it continues to dizzily spin and open wider. “Come close and hold me tight, Jah!”

It was time to leave.

Circinae