• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'll be there to save the day; Kerberos

The night is dark...
    Winter had come to the mainland. It was visible in the heavy clouds that hung over portions of it, also in the way the wind over and around the island was a little unstable. The muscles along my back and my sides, even into my chest were all straining with the extra work that they had to do to keep me level in the sky. Hell, not even level, more like just in the sky. I banked and curled around back to the island, the wind over the sea unpredictable during the winter, I had come to realize.

I tuck my wings to my side, diving straight towards the water just off the beach of the island. I let myself plummet, smiling with the feeling of falling, with the way that the wind tangled my mane. I close my eyes and will the magic that had returned back to me until my body shrinks and I drag my webbed feet through the water as my wings snap back open. I flap almost lazily until I get to the beach before I change my back, my hooves stepping through the sand.

I really ought to find Kerberos and just tell him how I was feeling, but feelings scared the shit out of me sometimes. At least ones like this, ones where my stomach fluttered every time I saw him. Where I couldn’t help but follow the way he moved with my eyes or lean into him now and again just to feel his warmth. I sighed softly, feeling a little bit stupid. It wasn’t even like he liked me back, there hadn’t been anything other that that stupid sisterly affection in the way we talked or hung out.

Or rather, at least nothing that stood out more than before.

I moved along the beach, lost in my musings. I followed the beach around almost absentmindedly but some part of me was always aware of the surroundings, of where I was on the island all what was going on around me. The butterflies come to life in my belly when I see him lingering there on the sands, but I continue towards him.

“Hey Kerberos.” I say when I finally get close enough.
    ...and full of terrors.
    The sea’s fucking gorgeous, isn’t it? Especially on a day like this, where the wind whips the water into glorious waves, all grey and stormy and beautiful. For once I’m not really in the mood to go for a run out there, just want to sit and watch. Stare out over the water, with a big old supercharged grin on my face.

Maybe we’ll get some lightning. Mmm, now that’d be fun.

I don’t catch her approaching ‘til she’s pretty close already, too caught up in the sea to notice, and the wind’s strong enough that I didn’t hear her feet sinking into the sand, just the whoosh of it rushing past my ears. When I do finally notice, a sneaky little smile starts on the corner of my mouth she can’t see, and I keep my eyes on the ocean.

“Hey, Kerberos.”

I turn to look at her, grinning and closing the last of the distance between us to wrap her up in a hug. “Hey, babe.” A squeeze, a quick little lipping at her thick black hair, a harmless kiss to the side of her neck, and I pull back to nod at the water. “Hell of a day, huh? Normally I’d say it’s enough to make a guy want to go for a run, see what kind of a wild ride the sea’s willing to give him, but I think today I’d rather stick to the beach with you.”
    Superman got nothin' on me

The night is dark...
    He turns and meets me, wrapping me up in a hug and I still for just a moment in shock before relaxing into his hug. His lips tugging on my mane and then pressing against my neck. When he turns back around to look briefly at the water, at the way the storm was whipping it into a frenzy, I shudder, where he touched me still burning with his body heat.

“Hell of a day, huh? Normally I’d say it’s enough to make a guy want to go for a run, see what kind of a wild ride the sea’s willing to give him, but I think today I’d rather stick to the beach with you.”

I stare at him a moment, a small smile curling my face. “Well, if I had what you had, I would be running with you. Nothing like the supercharged air of a thunderstorm with lightning cracking down around you, and your hair literally standing on end from the static, nothing like being out in one of those.” I sigh, my golden eyes staring out at the ocean for a long moment.

Okay, so maybe the first time it had freaked me out, being up amongst the clouds as they rumbled as the air seemed to thicken around me. It was likely the most dangerous thing that I had ever done, but just the thought of it sent my heart thudding in my chest and adrenaline surging through my body. I opened my wing and spread it across his back, so it was out of the way of course, as I leaned my shoulder against his. I turn to look back up at him with a cheeky grin. “I mean, of course, I’ve never flown up in the air during a thunderstorm because that would be irresponsible and I am definitely a responsible adult.”

...and full of terrors.
    I snort and grin, glancing over at Roma out of the corner of my eye. “That’s my girl. Sounds fucking phenomenal. That’s one thing I can’t really do. I can make myself some fancy, shiny wings if I want to, but they’re all for show. Sure as hell can’t lift me, not when I’m solid metal all the way through. Maybe if I’d had ‘em when the world stripped away magic, I could’ve tried it out.” I shrug lazily, not especially concerned. Sure, it’d be fun and exciting to give it a shot, but it’s not exactly gonna eat away at me that I can’t. “Maybe someday, anyhow.”

I bump my shoulder against hers, just a quick little nudge. “Responsible’s just another word for boring, right? If it fires your blood, makes your heart beat faster, makes you feel alive, why not spread your wings and fly on a night when the air’s almost vibrating with energy? Hasn’t killed you yet, right? Long as it doesn’t break your wings or get you--wait, how does the flesh thing work with lightning? Not a good combination, right? Still, I bet it’s a fucking rush.”

Lightning, that’s a fun one. Definitely wouldn’t volunteer to take her out on the water during that, but maybe next time we’ve got weather like this. This time, though, I meant what I said about staying put. It feels good just standing next to her, talking about the weather of all things. And about the fun to be had during a good storm.

“So tell me then, babe,” I say, reaching over to play with her hair some more, to lip at a stray strand. “How’s our lovely Ischia treating you? By the looks of things, very well indeed.” A hint of a smirk, a playful little nudge to her neck. “Island life looks good on you. I love that you’re here. Kali does too. How are you doing, though?” Are you happy? I’ve kept an ear out for any word of her family, any hint of even one of them, but I’m not about to tell her that unless I hear something. And so far, not a peep.

Hopefully someday, though. Soon. I can’t even imagine how much it must hurt not knowing. Breaks my heart that she’s going through it, but at least I can make sure she doesn’t go through it alone.

The night is dark...
    I shrug slightly, brushing off the conversation about wings. It wasn’t ever something that I had really wanted but it was sure handy. I was beginning to love it, my muscles powering me through the air and the wind surging across my body. Closing my wings to my sides and then only snapping them open at the last minute with my hooves leaving trails in the water. I used them daily, strengthened up muscles I hadn’t ever had before. “I find it’s a lot easier to get from place to place nowadays.” I smile a bit, leaning more into his shoulder until our bodies aligned and touched all the way back to our haunches.

“Not good.” Flesh and lightning weren’t exactly friends. “I’m going to guess and say that it hasn’t hit you yet, since you are standing next to me, but how you think that would work?” I nod out to the lightning again, my golden eyes turning back to his. “Or is it different for you?” My lips touching the hollow of his neck, just behind his head a small smile curling my lips.

His lips touch my hair, a small nudge to my neck. I lean into his touch without thinking about it. “I’m doing well, Kerberos.” I say, a small breath of air expelling on my last breath and my eyes dip from his down to his lips briefly. I was toeing the line, but it was so easy, almost so natural to be with him like this. It shook me a little, on the days that I thought about it, when his body touched mine. My heart gives a lurch.

“It’s easier when I have others to love.” My gaze lingers briefly on his and then I turn to look back out over the water, to where the lightning met the water. “I’m glad to have found you and Kali, she’s an incredible little girl.” Our last conversation causing me to shift away slightly. I move away from him, the unsettled feeling in my stomach not going away, even when I stepped closer to the water, wondered if the entire ocean was a conduit for the electricity when the lightning struck it. I stepped into it, until my hooves were covered and sighed.

“Kerberos?” I turn to look at him over my shoulder. “How well do you know everyone on this island?” And while I wanted this to be a special little meeting just for us, the conversation with Kali laid heavy on my heart.
    ...and full of terrors.
    “Ohhh, I’m guessing it’s different for me. Fucking fantastic, really, hell of a rush. I mean there’s a bit of snap crackle pop, and I don’t come out of it looking quite as pretty, but nothing I can’t fix, and damn but it’s fun.” That much energy coursing through you, a jolt from the sky into the sea or the earth itself, passing straight through your body, nothing compares.

I angle my head just a little, baring my throat for her. “Mmm...I’m glad you’re doing well, babe. Glad you’re enjoying the island, gladder still you stayed.” I smile and nuzzle her cheek, a soft little brush of my nose against that lovely expanse of blue. Mmm, and lingered a little longer to press my lips there while she talked, while she mentioned how great Kali is.

Truuuue.

“Mmhmm. That kid of mine, she’s pretty fantastic. Loves you just as hard, too. Lights right up when she talks about you. ‘Daddy, me and Roma went exploring today, guess what we found!’ and she’s off on a twenty minute tale of your latest escapades. I love it. Eat up every word, too. Makes me happy to see her so happy.”

But then she pulls away, and there’s something unsettling in her voice when she speaks again, looking over her shoulder with those gorgeous gold eyes. I frown, joining her in the water and pressing a quiet little kiss to her the crook of her neck just above her shoulder. “Well,” I answer slowly, considering. “I know my family pretty well, of course. We aren’t the only ones here, though, and I don’t know the others so well. Ea and a couple of her kids, she’s the former leader. Kylin brought home a friend, and has a couple of visitors now and again. And there are a few randos that have turned up looking for a place to stay. Why, babe? What’s on your mind?”