• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

It's Quiet Uptown [Any]
    Diable Rouge
    >
    There are moments that the words don't reach, there is suffering too terrible to name. You hold your child as tight as you can, and push away the unimaginable...

Sometimes, it's easier to just run away. 

Diable Rouge had never been one to run away...ever. He had always toughened the hard times out - because what was life if you did not persevere through the hardships? It was a sign of weakness to abandon post, to flee when life becomes difficult. He didn't run away when his mother was being brutally beaten by his father, he had stayed and fought - a battle both he and his mother lost, with a number of scars to prove it. He also didn't run away when the wicked mare abandoned her child along the border of Tephra, with not a speck of guilt in the process. And while he did not gain any scars physically from this experience, the mental scars continued to ooze blood - this is something he would never forgive himself for.

The rusty stag knew horses died everyday, sometimes from horrible, sickening events. However, this did not make the ache inside him go away. It didn't seem quite fair that a child had to die because of his own distractions. It didn't seem fair that a young filly would have to live with the image of his death for the rest of her life...that she might even feel responsible for what had happened. None of this seemed fair at all, and it angered him.

So, it seemed easier to flee whatever existence Tephra had given him for his stay. Solace and Svedka left him with Kaiode's lifeless body, and for what felt like days, the roan cried. He wept because he could not save the fragile child; he sobbed because it had been his fault...had he paid closer attention, his adoptive child would be by his side now as he roamed through the dense forest. 

He had wanted so badly for the child to survive, he would've done most anything to make it happen. That fateful day, as his "mother" left him to fend for himself, he would've given his own life to see him flourish...he felt the same way the day his son jumped from the rock to his inevitable death, Solace's beam of light worsening an already horrendous fall. He couldn't blame the child...it wasn't her fault; no, the only person who needed to feel guilt was him.

He had stopped in the field briefly, but decided it would be too easy for Ellyse to find him there. Ellyse had been so kind to him - she had introduced him to her home, neither of them knowing the pain it would cause. Rou hadn't said a word to anyone about his absence in the kingdom he had once called home - no, it seemed better to fade into the shadows, and try to live with the guilt that lay heavy on his breast. 

No one would miss me anyways... The words were sad, but true - he thought Tephra could make him something, but all it made him was a failure with the weight of death on his shoulders. 

Winter had turned him bitter - in the days that followed Kaiode's death, he felt himself grow cold - a hardened shell of who he used to be. Nothing could quell the hurricane within him - he was better off a shadow in the naked trees around him.  

...The moments when you're in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down. He moves uptown, and learns to live with the unimaginable. 
    in the eye of a hurricane, there is quiet.

Another year has come and gone since she arrived in Beqanna.  A day much like today.  A gentle snow has fallen in the night, coating the barren branches of the trees in a blanket like canopy.  The bright pale if the flakes luminated by the lingering moonlight.  She thinks to herself she has been here before.  With each place she has been only sorrow remained.  Why, she did not know.  They say each has a path to follow in life, clearly she has yet to find this mythical path.

She has turned to the Forest once again.  The last time she had been here an evil had hung dense in the air.  Filling her lungs thick so she gasped for breath.  A creature had growled within the shadows and she had ran... Ran right into a gas cloud that burned her skin.  The boils had since healed, leaving only minor scars on her visible flesh.  The carmel of her coat beginning to cover over the wounds.  What possessed her to come back? Stupidity maybe.  That was Aurora, always repeating the past.

Hazel eyes strained to see into the depths of the Forest.  Each step was carefully placed onto the littered terrain.  She wasn't about to trip again.  The gown of emerald and navy on her back hung loosely at her sides.  The lengthy feathers tangled easily so she stopped every now and then to situate them again.  Plucking a stray leaf or twig that had gotten intertwined with them.  She stood quietly this time, ears flicked forward.  She could hear a coarse breath nearby.  Not threatening. 

Saddened. Pained.

Again her eyes strained to make out a figure in the darkness.  Seeing only a vaporized buff of air curl from the shadows, "Hello?" A meek voice questioned in the form of a near whisper.

AuroraElis

Not all that Glitters is Gold

Diable Rouge
    >
    The moon created an eerie glow of light upon the layer of thick snow covering the forest, giving the chaser a sense of peace within the darkness. He had always found solace in the dead of night, where no one could bother him, where he could be a shadow away from the burdens of daily life. He found himself standing still in a thicket of trees; a comfy hollow to rest his stormy mind inside. He sniffed the area around him, head lifting to see if there were any visitors around. 

To his dismay and annoyance, he did find one. He let out a puff of air, the frigid atmosphere surrounding him turning it to a cloud of white. It always seemed others were finding him, even when he had no desire to be; he just wanted to be alone, to wallow in the disaster that was his life. 

However, he emerged from his hiding spot to reveal himself to the figure. The moonlight glows upon her tawny coat, and her hazel eyes peer at him questioningly. The light does not show much, and at first he cannot even see the elegant dress of blue and emerald wings that flow down her back and cover most of her body. But when he does, he is stunned - he hadn't seen wings like hers in his life, and he is taken aback at their beauty. She mutters a quiet, distrusting "hello?" and Diable Rouge is forced to respond. 

"Hello." His responds simply - he does not mean to be rude to her, she is an innocent bystander in the wave of his hurricane, but he comes off as uninterested and sour. He bows his head at her as a sign of respect, then begins to brush the snow beneath him with his hoof. He hasn't much to say - he is a broken, beaten man, what could he say? It just seemed better to stay silent, looking down at the earth and pretending his existence wasn't a complete failure.  

@[AuroraElis]

Watching cautiously with golden flecked eyes she is almost instantly relieved that the stranger is not the bone plated stallion.  Nor any other she's met thus far.  She ached for a clean slate in her life at this point.  

He is quite shadowed until he steps into the little bit of moonlight that trickled down through the trees.  Showing his true color now of rust and gold.  Standing quietly she observed the tilt of his head to view her.  The sudden spark within his dull, expressionless eyes as he sees her gown.  It was always the first thing anyone notices and she was grateful for the gift the fairies had given her.  It's ability to conceal the most horrendous time in her life.  Shifting them slightly they tighten at her side, conforming to her petite figure.

Carmel ears twisted in the tangle of her milky tresses as he spoke.  The same expressionless tone his eyes bared.  Delicate dished face cocked in wonder at what could have broken the stallion down to his current state.  With a switch of her cream tail she smiled kindly.  His eyes fall downward.  Concentrating on the white fluff beneath them.  Shifting her weight from one hip to the next she faces him.  Matching her crowns height to his, turning her deep eyes to look into his own, "Are you new here?  I don't believe we have met.  I'm Aurora.  It's nice to meet you." Her voice is sweet as always.  Surprisingly for all she's been through.

AuroraElis

Diable Rouge
    >
    "I suppose new is a word for it."

His reply stays laced with venom, and guilt for his attitude continues to wash over him. The broken shell that stands in front of the caramel mare is not who he once was, and he silently wonders if he would ever be the same after the recent events. The writhing beast within him was always threatening to explode, to claw its way out tooth and nail until it emerges from the pit of his stomach.

He moves his eyes from the earth below him back to the mare, whose kindness he does not deserve...he has been a neglectful, foul creature, who deserved nothing more than to rot for the suffering he has caused. Her golden eyes stay kind, even as the words are spat at her through clenched teeth. A genuine being...but could she even know the pain that lay heavy on his shoulders? 

He sighs, two-toned eyes growing softer as he stares at her toffee colored pelt and magnificent wings. "I am Diable Rouge...Rou," He states simply, eyes closing slowly as he takes a deep breath.  "We have yet to meet, Aurora." He opens his orbs once more to stare at her, swallowing the lump forming in his throat.   

@[AuroraElis] <3

Observing his motions, or lack of, she rests quietly.  The gown of feathers relax and hang loosely at her sides.  Sweeping the snow underfoot.  His first statement confuses her slightly, her raised brow an obvious sign of this.  How can you be new, but not.  She regards it as redundant as he now matches her gaze.  The sorrowed lines of his face giving away slightly.  She smiles at receiving his name.  The armored stallion had never given his away, possibly with good reason.  A giggle escapes her as she is surprised by his nickname.  Knowing the outburst may be off putting to the rust stallion she explains her amusement, "I'm sorry.  It's just that my name is AuroraElis, short is Aurora but many also call me Ru for short.  Well... Children mainly." Her thoughts travel to the playground where she had met Fox.  On a day much like today.  He had liked her name and she had liked his gifts he had shared with her.  Her contagious smile fades slightly as she thinks of him, of children, of her lack of children.  Golden flecked eyes dim slightly before returning to him, "I don't have any children."  

With a sudden wave of sadness rushing over her a chill runs up her spine.  The loose lying feathers tighten to her sides again.  Desperate to rid herself of the emotion she shakes her dished crown.  Looking again to the stallion, hoping she had not upset him further.  "If you are not entirely new here, where did you come from? If you don't mind me asking," honey laced words inquired of his home.

AuroraElis

@[Diable Rouge]
    Diable Rouge
    >

The world is quiet around them, and for a moment, his mind feels silent as well. Her laugh is gentle, unassuming, and he feels himself smile at the thought they share the same nickname. A nickname his mother had given him, because the name Diable Rouge seemed "too harsh" for "how sweet he was." He looked down to the ivory fluff beneath him, pawing it gently. He could hardly remember the way he acted as a colt, but some memories seemed clear as day - his mother singing him lullabies, their evenings watching sunsets, playing with his mother because he had no other friends. 

Her murder. 

He closed his eyes, and inhaled deeply. It was so long ago, but it seemed just like yesterday. When he opened them once more, he listened to Aurora reveal that mostly children called her that...his heart sank. Children, plural. Yet another equine who had what he had always wanted - a family. And the only thing he had ever gotten that was even close to it, was now gone.  

"I don't have any children." She says after a moment, and he watches her golden eyes fall. He stares intently at her, and Diable Rouge can see the pain that lingers in her eyes. From what, he does not know. He feels suddenly guilty, beginning to move forward but stopping himself. Instead, a confession...something he hadn't wanted to reveal; but she reminded him of a distant memory, and he felt he could trust her, even if it was only slightly. 

"I did," He starts, head moving to glance at the sky, a sigh emerging from his chest. "I adopted him when his mother left him but I couldn't protect him." He swallows, and looks back to her. "I have none of my own...but I loved him like he was." 

He tries to move past the pain, and answers her next question as if his confession hadn't torn him apart. "I had wandered around, but a recruitment brought me to Tephra. I enjoyed it," He began, thinking back to the golden mare who brought him to the island. "Circumstances have left me wandering again...too many memories."

He shook his head. A coward, that was all he was. Running away from his problems so the hurricane could not catch up to him. Abandoning post because of a death; pathetic reasons, he knew. He just wasn't sure how to cope. 

Diable Rouge
    >

The world is quiet around them, and for a moment, his mind feels silent as well. Her laugh is gentle, unassuming, and he feels himself smile at the thought they share the same nickname. A nickname his mother had given him, because the name Diable Rouge seemed "too harsh" for "how sweet he was." He looked down to the ivory fluff beneath him, pawing it gently. He could hardly remember the way he acted as a colt, but some memories seemed clear as day - his mother singing him lullabies, their evenings watching sunsets, playing with his mother because he had no other friends. 

Her murder. 

He closed his eyes, and inhaled deeply. It was so long ago, but it seemed just like yesterday. When he opened them once more, he listened to Aurora reveal that mostly children called her that...his heart sank. Children, plural. Yet another equine who had what he had always wanted - a family. And the only thing he had ever gotten that was even close to it, was now gone.  

"I don't have any children." She says after a moment, and he watches her golden eyes fall. He stares intently at her, and Diable Rouge can see the pain that lingers in her eyes. From what, he does not know. He feels suddenly guilty, beginning to move forward but stopping himself. Instead, a confession...something he hadn't wanted to reveal; but she reminded him of a distant memory, and he felt he could trust her, even if it was only slightly. 

"I did," He starts, head moving to glance at the sky, a sigh emerging from his chest. "I adopted him when his mother left him but I couldn't protect him." He swallows, and looks back to her. "I have none of my own...but I loved him like he was." 

He tries to move past the pain, and answers her next question as if his confession hadn't torn him apart. "I had wandered around, but a recruitment brought me to Tephra. I enjoyed it," He began, thinking back to the golden mare who brought him to the island. "Circumstances have left me wandering again...too many memories."

He shook his head. A coward, that was all he was. Running away from his problems so the hurricane could not catch up to him. Abandoning post because of a death; pathetic reasons, he knew. He just wasn't sure how to cope. 

Why was life so cruel?  She made herself believe that the fairies rescued her.  Brought her here and bestowed this gift upon her back so that her scars would not be visible to the masses.  That they had given her a second chance at a normal life and what had she to show for it? Nothing.  She had been passed over time and time again.  Turned down and turned away.  Why?  Was there something wrong with her? Was she too compassionate? Too kind for this world?  Possibly so but she had not and would not stop trying. 

Not now. 
    Not ever.

She could feel her wings shift with the breeze so she pulled them taunt against her sides.  Pulling her eyes up to meet his as he leaned forwards.  His confession is met with a sympathetic pause.  What was worse than having no children, no family... Having lost them.  She has known this feeling but not of children.  Not hers nor any adopted, but family lost yes.  She doesn't dwell on her own problems but turns ear and eye to the rusted stallion.  Listening attentively as he answers her question.  

Again there is a distinct hurt in his face as he speaks of his past home, Tephra.  She knows the land and it left a bitter taste in her mouth.  She wouldn't let on her distaste out of respect, so when he finishes she offers her condolences, "I am sorry to hear about your child.  I am sure he knew he was loved dearly.  Children are funny in that way.  They know how to love deeper than anyone and they know when they are loved in return." She smiles hoping her words bring even the slightest comfort to the stallion.  She continues, "I too have not a home.  Seems every time I attempt to be accepted I am turned away." She pauses briefly, "I am not quite sure why.  Is there something wrong with me Rou?" Her golden flecked eyes look up to him, sorrowed.  Pleading.  Tell me there is, so I can understand why I am incapable of being loved...

AuroraElis

Diable Rouge
    >
    Diable Rouge didn't know why life bestows such bad luck on seemingly good people. It seemed as though the most deserving people get nothing but suffering, while the wicked get everything the world has to offer. The pain her golden eyes hold is something he is all too familiar with - behind her mask, he knows she is hiding a life full of agony...just like him. 

Her words bring him a small amount of comfort. Her voice is sincere and genuine, and he gives her a smile to the best of his ability. Her eyes stare up at him as she asks her next question, pleading to give her an answer. 

"Is there something wrong with me Rou?"

Rou lets out a puff of air, almost a laugh. It wasn't out of disrespect, it was simply because he couldn't believe the question. Could anything truly be wrong with the mare in front of him? So caring, so sympathetic, so loving. It seemed as though he was standing in front of a nearly perfect equine. He lets out a sigh, then tries to answer her question. 

"I can't give you the perfect answer...but I'll try," He starts. "Sometimes, I think people take advantage of those who show so much compassion. They think it a weakness, when in reality it is one of the best strengths you can have. My mother...she was a lamb in a world full of wolves. The eye of a hurricane. Kaiode was the same way...that's why they were turned away so easily..." He takes a deep breath, composing himself. "I think maybe you love too much, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I think you are the kind of horse this world needs, Aurora. If others don't accept you...well, I guess they just aren't seeing how truly wonderful you are." His eyes look away quickly. He does not know Aurora, where she came from or who exactly she is, but from their brief interaction he can tell one thing - she is kind heart in a cruel world.   

@[AuroraElis]